Let's Get Technical > Troubleshooting Problems

Rack grounding?

(1/6) > >>

Georgeclooney0:
Hi all, first post here. I originally signed up to talk about the awesome mp1 but then this came up. I am building my first rack, I have so far the mp1, jmp 1, alesis 3630 compressor, an old digitech dhp-55, and a furman power strip. I mounted everything in the rack using rubber washers, plugged the units into the furman, routed everything, fired it up and have been jamming ever since. My question is am I good to go as far as grounding the units. I have since read a bit and grounding seams to be a concern for a lot of people. As far as I know I thought all the units would be grounded through the 120 VAC outlets on the furman. My question is, is my setup sufficient like I have it currently. I don't want to damage anything. Also I apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong place, it wasn't obvious to me where I should go with this.

Dante:
Welcome to the Depot, George!

I'm sure the rubber washers will work, but I'll let others voice their opinions too. I have heard of several others (myself included) just putting a couple layers of electrical tape on the rails before mounting the rack gear. I do believe I have nothing grounding my current rack, I was in a hurry to put it together and didn't bother with dang ol' tape.

in hindsight, I created a lot more work for myself if I notice a problem  :facepalm:

rnolan:
Hey Gc0, welcome to the depot  :thumb-up: :wave: , this is probably as good a place as any for your post.  Depending on your setup you can sometimes get earth loops as the units contact the metal rack strip. rabidgerry had some issues a while ago and went through the process of isolating the units from the rack strip so they didn't earth to each other via touching the strip or touching each other, but he had earth hums he needed to eliminate and had also done some research on the issue (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=2198.msg25165#msg25165).If you have no hum, noise etc then you don't need to isolate the units, I've never had any issues. I use plastic washers to protect the unit(s) from screw rash but they all touch/contact the metal rack strip.  I try to make the distance between units as far apart as is easy (slight gap), but this is for heat dissipation/airflow not to stop them touching.So if you have no earth hums etc then your setup is sufficient and you wont damage anything  :thumb-up: .

rabidgerry:
I touched on this topic in my "Rack Developement"  thread in "Rack Gear"

I referenced this website also.

https://aperioguitar.com/2012/02/23/grounding-fizz-and-cable/

I grounded some of my items and I thought initially I had gotten rid of a weird hum but I detected the weird hum in different venues so not sure if I actually got rid of the problem or not by grounding the items.  Also a few things I probably could do with adding a few little "rubber feet" to seperate their chassis from one another.  I also did the tape on the rack ears.

Dante:
That reminds me.... I was getting noise that I thought was a bad ground, but it was the cheap universal wall-wart power units I was using. From now on, I buy better power suppliers like a One-Spot on my pedal board.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version