ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Cabinet Simulators  (Read 69924 times)

lylerasputin

Re: Cabinet Simulators
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

bump?

Thanks so much for the advice gentleman,  I sincerely appreciate it. 

What tube would you recommend swapping it out for?  I have opened the box yet (in a rack),  so i forget the OG tube installed…  I cover a variety of tones in my work,  from heavier to clean etc… so need advice on a decent jack of all trades tube,  and perhaps some warnings about ones that ARE NOT good! :)..

All that said,  I am not an electrical engineer or anything,  but am pretty good at user servicing my stuff,  is opening the box a pain?  and is there anything to be aware of in that process…?  Just want to know if it is worth it before going through the hassle of pulling out of a large rack….

thanks again for your advice!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

Hey lylerasputin, I've moved/copied this to it's own topic (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=293.0)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

finstah

• Jurrie Rocks
« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

For recording, the AxeFX seems to be up there, it uses fractal algorithms and a dedicated DSP CPU.  Not so great live according to some.

I use mine to record direct with custom cab sims from Red...something ugh!. A couple of guys on the old Fractal boards (javajunkie) helped me configure it for FOH live. The thing sounds just as tits live as it does direct. The key is knowing what you are editing cuz there are ALOT of parameters for everything. I have never had an issue recording or using it for a show.

'stah

shreddingjoris

« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

Just bid on ebay for 50 dollars on a microcab I.
Looks like i can just plug in my monitors in this thing, so no interface needed.
Can't wait to hear this with the MP1!

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music
« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

Just bid on ebay for 50 dollars on a microcab I.
Looks like i can just plug in my monitors in this thing, so no interface needed.
Can't wait to hear this with the MP1!

I loved my MP-1/Microcab combination... sounded awesome with all the knobs in the "out" position.  Didn't care for the other settings, but to each their own..

Keep us posted!
-Adam
ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Theta PRO, ISP Theta Combo and Vector 2x12 with Celestion Alnico Creams, and Charvel Wildcards with EMGs!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

Yep the "all buttons out" is also my favorite setting.

shreddingjoris

« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

Just heard about the ISP STEALTH. Looks like a decent transparant poweramp. Anyone has exp with these?

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music
« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

Just heard about the ISP STEALTH. Looks like a decent transparant poweramp. Anyone has exp with these?

I don't have the Stealth, but I do have the ISP Theta Preamp (no poweramp) and the ISP Theta Combo which has a great built in power amp... I can only assume the Stealth is a similar design (in concept).  And if it isn't, then I'll vouch for the quality of ISP guitar gear... the Theta Preamp and Combo are two pieces of incredible high quality gear.  I can only imagine the Stealth is of similar quality.  I've yet to hear anything bad about it...

They are about to release a rack version...
-Adam
ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Theta PRO, ISP Theta Combo and Vector 2x12 with Celestion Alnico Creams, and Charvel Wildcards with EMGs!

finstah

• Jurrie Rocks
« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

+1 on the company.

I had an ISP Decimator and wrote the owner one time to ask about a mod for it. He not only gave me a detailed tutorial of how to do it by calling me personally, he sent the parts for free.

El Chiguete

« Reply #39 on: Time Format »

what did you mod?
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #40 on: Time Format »

+1 on the company.

I had an ISP Decimator and wrote the owner one time to ask about a mod for it. He not only gave me a detailed tutorial of how to do it by calling me personally, he sent the parts for free.
Now that's service  :thumb-up:

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music
« Reply #41 on: Time Format »

http://adammclean.bandcamp.com

Here's another one in the making... no leads and no vocals yet, but you get a good idea of the ADA GCS-2 in action.  Cleans, as always, are not using the GCS-2.  Rhythms are all ISP Theta Preamp right into the GCS-2 run direct.  Love it!  Enjoy....
-Adam

trader144

« Reply #42 on: Time Format »

Depends on how you plan to use it.

I have a GS3.

Wanted it over the GS2 for the powersoak + headphone amp, and price of course.
I don't use the powersoak or headphones as much as I had planned, since I want to mix against a backing track but the headphone amp does help me hear my mp-1 when I want that feature. The main out is pretty weak when I run it through my computer and mix with a backing track (using the stock HP mixer).

The GS-3 is significantly better than the MP-1 straight to the board, but of course nowhere near as good as a real speaker cab.

I would put it at 75% of a real speaker cab at best. The 25% comes from the filters removing some of the articulation.
Feedback/gain is pretty good....not sure how they get it to do this but I am very picky old school and really prefer to feel and react to the sound and air pressure from the speakers.

For reference, I play live through an Iso cab, and would say an Iso cab is 90% vs having the real stack behind you where you control what people hear and the vibrations circuit through your pickups.  The 10% comes from the mixer guys opinions on what it should sound like based on whatever experience they have, and it is probably not the same sound as you want.

So this means if you play live through a simulator, you should expect less than 75% of a real cabinet unless you are also the mixer guy. Things sound very different when you hear yourself on the internet post mix so it is alot of trial and error.

I haven't tried other options...
Guitars: Malmsteen strat, Fender '62 reissue
Rig: Avid 11 Rack -> ADA MP-1 (stock) ->  ADA Microtube 100 -> ADA split stack

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #43 on: Time Format »

Hey David, have you tried the GCS-3 in the MP1's loop, works a treat and then you have stereo cab simmed outs.  I posted about it in a few other spots, also used the Art split mix to parallel loop my mates TC Gmaj, much better sound than chaining through it keeping MP1 analogue all the way to the I/O and mix in the digital FX.

trader144

« Reply #44 on: Time Format »

found the other posts, thanks.
I have heard about doing this from the loop...what makes it different other than stereo?
Guitars: Malmsteen strat, Fender '62 reissue
Rig: Avid 11 Rack -> ADA MP-1 (stock) ->  ADA Microtube 100 -> ADA split stack
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up