ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digitech 2112  (Read 5802 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Digitech 2112
« on: Time Format »

Well lookie what showed up on Craigslist last night... a Digitech 2112 for $140  :thumb-up:

It's beat up, and dirty, but I plugged it in and all the lights came on. I hooked it up and it sounded awful....totally choked signal, barely audible. Then I realized, the input and output knobs were turned nearly all the way down  :facepalm:  So, I turned up the output and GREAT GOogLY MOoGLY, it was loud.  :o

I went through all the presets and found the ones I need to start with. There is some issue with one of the FX or a setting or whatever, but it results in an oscillating sound when you're not playing...YUK. It's not on all the patches, just a few, so if I can just avoid that effect, I'm good. There are tubes glowing in there, but I have no idea what they are or how old they must be.

I haven't even cracked the manual open yet, so I have yet to figure out if I can use my Quad switch with the SOLO button on this thing. Hopefully, I can. If not, I'll hook my GX-700 to it and use that.

It's 90s bliss, and a nice upgrade from the Behringer. Although, I am hanging on to the Behringer for emergencies. Once I clean up the 2112, I'll send some pix and sound clips.

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
Re: Digitech 2112
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Cool!  You should name your Main Rig and Backup Rigs.  Plan A, Plan B, Plan C, etc.  :lol:

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Cool. Throw in a fresh set of tubes and try the graph eq settings from my VGS2120 thread (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=1974.msg22435#msg22435). Adjust gain to taste.
If you wanna get the most outta the 2112, invest another 25bucks and get the latest FW (http://www.nocrotec.com/shop/product_info.php/info/p120_Digitech-SGS-2112-to-2120-VGS-2-30-upgrade.html)
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

So, while I was perusing Craigslist again (always dangerous), I spied a combo amp. A tube combo. A Peavey Triumph 120. It has four 6L6s in it and one FOUR 12ax7s, One 12AT7, and it's stupid loud. It also weighs more than my Boogie did. It's a 1x12 120w monster. I didn't like the gains, but I didn't spend more than 10 seconds trying them and I don't intend to use them anyway. The clean is very nice. It weighs about as much as my Jeep and has tiny wheels, unlike my Jeep.

I ran the digitech 2112 into the input jack and wasn't impressed. I plugged into the FX return and promptly incited great amounts of feedback because the preamp's output was a bit high. Oops. The cat was pretty freq'd out. He's better now and I like the tones much better.

The stock patches are not great, I have yet to RTFM and start tweaking. I did arrange some basic patches into banks for later, but they need some work. I figured out how to move/save patches from the factory presets to user presets and so on, but the fine tuning of FX requires a bit of study first to save time. I'll get on it.

Kim: This is plan C. Plan D is the little Fly Rig I just picked up. Plan B is my main rig right now because I F'd up my plan A (the Classic) :(
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

UPDATE: I have read some of the manual and my Quad switch is now activating the SOLO button!! Woot!! I can assign at least 3 CC #s that I can tell - possibly more. I think I may need another quad switch - haha

I will be getting acquainted with this thing all day today, should have something to share by tonight.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Cool. Throw in a fresh set of tubes and try the graph eq settings from my VGS2120 thread (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=1974.msg22435#msg22435). Adjust gain to taste.
If you wanna get the most outta the 2112, invest another 25bucks and get the latest FW (http://www.nocrotec.com/shop/product_info.php/info/p120_Digitech-SGS-2112-to-2120-VGS-2-30-upgrade.html)

I will definitely check those settings, SC. Thank you! The tubes don't have a brand, they just say 5781 and have a few dots that look like braille, possibly a logo. I have a bunch of 12ax7s in my parts bin I can try later. I wonder if one tube controls clean, the other gain, or if they're both gain, or what??

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I had a Triumph 120 back in the day when it was a new model.  It was the head (not the combo) and it was unbelievably heavy for its size.  I also had the matching 4x12 cab which seemed like it weighed the same as the head.....    :lol:

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Well lookie what showed up on Craigslist last night... a Digitech 2112 for $140  :thumb-up:

It's beat up, and dirty, but I plugged it in and all the lights came on. I hooked it up and it sounded awful....totally choked signal, barely audible. Then I realized, the input and output knobs were turned nearly all the way down  :facepalm:  So, I turned up the output and GREAT GOogLY MOoGLY, it was loud.  :o

I went through all the presets and found the ones I need to start with. There is some issue with one of the FX or a setting or whatever, but it results in an oscillating sound when you're not playing...YUK. It's not on all the patches, just a few, so if I can just avoid that effect, I'm good. There are tubes glowing in there, but I have no idea what they are or how old they must be.

I haven't even cracked the manual open yet, so I have yet to figure out if I can use my Quad switch with the SOLO button on this thing. Hopefully, I can. If not, I'll hook my GX-700 to it and use that.

It's 90s bliss, and a nice upgrade from the Behringer. Although, I am hanging on to the Behringer for emergencies. Once I clean up the 2112, I'll send some pix and sound clips.

If I read the schematics correct both are either Tube Clean or Tube Dist.
The 2101/2112/2120 shipped with Sovtek 12AX7WA from the factory...definitely worth upgrading

vansinn

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Good price for a 2112; good for you!
Didn't know the Quad could be used with those, so, additional CC buttons..

BTW, does your 2112 have dual S/Dish DSP's or 'just' a single?
It'll work just fine with one, but dual allows things like smoothly ringing-our one preset while ramping-up the next, when you switch presets; i.e. a smooth transition.
You can even specify a pre-delay for when the next presets is going to start ramping-up.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

It is the S/Dish DSPs model, and I can smooooothly switch between patches. Pretty cool unit and it sounds great.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

The 2112 and 2120 are identical in hardware - Dual S-Disc. Only difference is cosmetics (faceplate) and FW

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

My unit has some issues with oscillating noise, so I put the 2112 in the rack with my spare GX-700. I'll just use that for FX and use the 2112 for a preamp.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

UPDATE: The FX loop is not working on this unit, so i can't use an external device for that too  :facepalm:

I bought another one online for cheap, it had one issue = the program knob would skip every other patch. I used the first 2112 for parts, desoldered the pot for the program knob (it was soldered to a small PCB), and installed it into the new unit. WHOLLYCRAP. It worked. I successfully desoldered/resoldered two pots on lil' PCBs.

I was able to desolder them using solder wick, worked like a champ. Just kept melting the solder away until the legs of the pot were loose in the holes of the PCB. I'm going to practice some more on an old computer, desoldering the components. Then, I will reapproach my goddamn Classic.

The new 2112 sounds great, no noise at all, and it already has the upgrade to a 2120  :headbanger:
Pages: [1]   Go Up