ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: my new mp1 sounds like dudu  (Read 6477 times)

davidfugler

my new mp1 sounds like dudu
« on: Time Format »

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Thank God I found it. My mp2 has the motorboat problem, so I got an mp1 for a backup, and sent out my mp2 to get worked on. I listened to a number of clips of mp1's that sounded fantastic, but this mp1 sounds like a 30 dollar peice or garbage. the eq is the problem all 4 points are so narrow I had to zero out bass and mid, and pull down treble and presence, and use a graphic eq to boost up lower mids and bass, way up, to get anything close to a usable sound
I have searched this forum for hours and hours, but I'm not sure which mod would best address this thin, treble heavy, pocket radio from the 60s sound. Or, throw this mp1 in the trash and try getting another one, and hope for better luck....Help.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: my new mp1 sounds like dudu
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey david, welcome to the depot  :wave: , and we are happy to help as much as we can :thumb-up: .There are some posts about the MP2 motorboating if you dig around.  It was quite a while ago it came up IIRC This post (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=177.msg820#msg820) is related to it.  You can do the MP2 noise mod, replace 21 caps and a resistor, IMO the resistor (R913  :dunno: ) is the most important (if it needs replacing), if you get 190v or just under (around 187v) at the test point then it doesn't.  The problem comes when the test point voltage exceeds 190v.  MJMP puts a kit together with all the components you need for the mod (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm).The MP1 should sound good out of the box, factory patch 1 (Marshall) should sound very usable, I used it as a starting point for most of my MP1 patches.  So I'd try reloading the factory patches:LOAD ALL 69 PRESETS:
1. Press the STORE button. lt will light.
2. Press the BANK button and while holding the BANK button down press the number 1 button.
3. The display will read "Presets Loaded" When the display returns to a program number, all 69 factory presets have, been restored.
If patch 1 still doesn't sound good, it could be tubes, always worth putting in some new ones anyway.
I suggest you start 2 new topics one for your MP2 and one for your MP1 either in their respective areas or in the Lets get technical and we'll work through the issues with you  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

davidfugler

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

thank you

Chamai

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

what power amp and speakers are you using?
im rocking a marshall 9005 power amp with g12t75 speakers. my mp1 sounds freaken massive.

ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

davidfugler

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

my mp2 sounds massive through my hafler and EV loaded one twelve cabs. The mp1 with factory preset 1, various new tubes sounds terrible.I even took the new Mullards out of the mp2, used those, and no better. tiny and tinny. Gotta be something wrong with it.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey David, I agree, something isn't quite right, a pair of known good Mullards and factory patch 1 should sound decent, well better than decent.  Tiny and Tinny sounds like the signal isn't getting through properly. My first guess is the input jack (it gets the most ware) and these are old units.  But it could be a number of things, we'll have to step through them all a try to find the issue. 
1. Do you get any leds flashing when you play ? this will indicate if there is decent signal in the various circuits.  They should flash or even stay lit or go red when you turn up OD1, OD2 and Master on a patch. If no leds flashing then input jack may be the issue.  It's worth giving it a clean with some decent contact cleaner regardless.  Can you take some pics of the inside (take the lid off) and post them/attach them (keep them around 1.5MB or they wont attach), this will show us a bunch of stuff about the version (e.g. the later version MP1 input jack is relatively easy to replace, early version MP1 not so easy and better to do the rear jack mod).2. If you have flashing leds, take the signal from Fx loop send to amp (there should always be good signal here and will help rule in/out where problem is likely to be)3. While you have the top off for pics, give the output vol pot a good clean with contact cleaner (it may be the culprit) BTW is it scratchy ??).It's also worth taking off the bottom cover (easy, like the top except with the top you have to undo the front center screw) and take some pics, this will show if it's been worked on, maybe it's a failed mod someone attempted (not uncommon).Check out MikeBs post (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=2241.0) for the various pics that help.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

The hafler, is that a power amp or a true guitar amp?

davidfugler

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

thanks, I'll do these suggestions. The Hafler is a ss stereo power amp. Been using that since my b200s died back in 1995. It still sounds good with the mp2, but I'm also trying to find a good tube power amp. peavy 50/50 is too midrange heavy for my taste, and a carvin tube 100 I just got is too top heavy, but maybe mod able somehow. I put a post in the non ada amp section about the tube 100, that I also need help with.

Chamai

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Tube power more makes a hue difference. Try going for a mesa power amp instead. 6l6 sounds nice and thick with less midrange.

The secret with great distortion is adding an equal pedal up front. Reverse smile face on the eq pedal and put the levels and it. Cutting bass and treble and boosting mids gives the distortion more clarity. You can also up the bass on your mp1 without the bass sounding flubby. Think mesa amps. A lot of people cut bass and upping the bass using the onboard eq instead. 
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Ah ok so the amp is good.

davidfugler

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

now I get to tell you how much of an idiot I am. I didn't know what the switch was for on the top of the unit. Now I do. Problem solved. I had it in instrument position. Now it's got bottom end. Sorry guys. Shoot me.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Ok great you solved it, didn't know that that would affect your sound so much.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Ok great you solved it, didn't know that that would affect your sound so much.
+1  :thumb-up: ,

davidfugler

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

still a little thin on top

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Looks like an early 1988 model.