ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wet/Dry set up  (Read 5666 times)

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
Wet/Dry set up
« on: Time Format »

I was wondering with my rig if I could wet/dry it. Could it work with what I have or would I need another cab? Being that my cab is wired for stereo I was thinking panning one pre hard right and the other hard left, however wouldn't my effects be summed to mono being panned in one direction? I would have to run my effects behind one pre not in the mixer loop. Your thoughts???? :dunno:

a/b/y marshall jmp1/ada mp1,effects behind MP1, Mp1 wet panned right, Jmp dry panned left (panned at multimix8) to Carvin Power amp to cab.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Soloist »
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Wet/Dry set up
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hard to see enough of the schematic (on unit lid) in the online pics to say for sure. But my guess is the stereo FX send (loop) signal is derived before the cannel pan so while the L/R of JMP or MP1 can be panned hard left or right in the main mix, the send will still "see" them in stereo (I don't think the channel pan will affect the send (stereo bus), just the main stereo mix bus). With a readable picture of the lid (schematic) I can be definitive.

However, if you want the JMP to be dry and MP1 wet, just turn the JMP FX (loop) send off, it will then be dry and mix in as desired. You'd have to do this anyway with your other thought as it will still feed the FX bus (unless you turn its send off).

Much better to keep it stereo, the MP1 sounds much better and so do the FX.

To do a "proper" wet dry (if there is such a thing LOL), you'd set up a separate dry rig with JMP and put it between the MP1 wet cabs or similar, gets elaborate and requires more poweramps and cabs. Like I used to run my MP1 years ago, in stereo, wet and dry mix into 2 ADA slant split stacks and dry Marshall '72 50w (power soak) mono 2 x12 cab in the centre. Lots of stuff to lug for very little gain (did sound good though). If you set your rig up well in stereo, there is little or no need for wet/dry rig stuffing around. But that's me, others like to play with the idea.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Soloist

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

OK I think I have a better solution. I will run my rack rig as is and run my Marshall DSL dry, now I just have to wait for my Morley A/B/C swither to arrive! :metal:
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV

Soloist

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Oh that Dsl doesn't blend well with the pre's. To modern sounding. >:(  Now I remember why I stopped using it in the first place. (cause it sounds like  :poop:)
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Maybe try the JMP into the DSL (does it have a line in ?) and keep it dry ?

I'm thinking people are partly attracted to the wet/dry setups because they are having trouble getting the gain structure and wet/dry balance right with lots of gadgets plugged in (as you have to do a "mini" mix in each one to keep some dry sound). Using a mixer like you are solves this (more easy to control and get balance right, though more FX sends helps even more). e.g. if you run your JMP dry and MP1 a little more wet then blend/mix them, then you have a wet dry setup/mix (but not separate dry speakers). I liked having dry speakers ('72 Marshall 50, mono) and a more wet rig (MP1 stereo) but that's using more amps and speakers (pain to lug to a gig, loud  >:D ) and in the end isn't actually (for me) any better (as I use a desk), just more hassle. You can combine all sorts of things (amps, speakers, FX if you have them) to get some interesting sounds/tones, it's all fun. What I like (and have always liked), is how the MP1/2 are just great on their own and with a decent multi FX unit running ion stereo, is just perfect.

potus2028

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

A long time ago, I ran a wet/dry/wet set-up. Single MP-1...one main output straight into a Carvin TS100 (in bridged mono) into a Recto 4x12 in the center. Second main output from the MP-1 went into an fx unit (G Major), then out in stereo into a Microtube 200. Stereo outs from the MT200 out to a pair of ADA SplitStacks spread as wide apart in the room possible. once you get the levels right, it was the sickest sounding setup ever!

Soloist

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Ok I got it. All I had to do was drop the send on the Jmp channel for the fx loop. Now I have wet mp1 and dry jmp1. It sounds killer. Stereo wet/stereo dry  :thumb-up:
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey good news  :thumb-up:
Pages: [1]   Go Up