ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ever get to open for someone famous?  (Read 4618 times)

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
Ever get to open for someone famous?
« on: Time Format »

So this is happening, and am super excited about it!   My band Ov Moros is on a local bill to support Raven!   :whoohoo!:

These guys inspired the Metallica's and the Anthrax's and brought them along for their first big tours way back at the Dawn of Thrash.
While my band would certainly not be considered "thrash"  (we play slow and are driving in the Progressive/Epic/Folklore Doom lane; we've been described as "Candlemass meets Cathedral at a kegger party with Sleep") :lol:  it is an absolute honor that the promoter included us regardless on a bill featuring some Living Legends.   I had 2 albums of theirs back at one point, but need to get acquainted with a lot of their other albums now.  lol 
If I heard correctly, the band Mobile Deathcamp features an ex-member of GWAR (Beefcake Almighty?) as well.  This is gonna be a FUN night for sure!   Will let you know how it goes! 

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: Ever get to open for someone famous?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Raven
Blitzkrieg
Angelwitch
Hell
Pagan Alter
Diamond Head
Portrait (toured with them)

and probably a few others I can't remember because I don't like them that much.  The first three bands I mention above are all that have actually had a big influence on me.  Particularly Raven.

Had to turn down an offer to do their UK tour as well this year because we already had our own tour booked!  So disappointed.  But may be we get to play with the legends again some day.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Samuraipanda

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

So awesome Kim!!!

Back in the day we got to local support for a few good gigs at an old grocery store that was converted into a music hall.  We were the 7:30 band while people were still tailgating. lol

White Lion
Winger
Trouble
Manowar
Howe II

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Few big names there Samuraipanda :thumb-up:

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Back in the day we had the pleasure of opening up for: Triumph, Lynch Mob and Quiet Riot. I got the best  tips on playing from George Lynch, but the heaviest partying was by far Quiet Riot. What a blast!
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Back in the day we had the pleasure of opening up for: Triumph, Lynch Mob and Quiet Riot. I got the best  tips on playing from George Lynch, but the heaviest partying was by far Quiet Riot. What a blast!

Jeez, partying with bands you opened for!!  These day's you're lucky if you get to exchange a sentence with them.

The most dialogue I ever exchanged with any big name who we were playing on the same bill as was Pepper Keenan.  He kinda latched onto our van driver due to his ability to get drugs and that meant then he was in frequent company on numerous occasions with us.  Seemed pretty cool, a bit crazy.  But I aint a COC fan what so ever.

Angel witch barely acknowledged my existence  :lol:  Diamond head guitarist said "hello"  which is more than some, he seemed ok.

Raven's John Gallagher introduced himself to us during sound check, super nice guy.

Got to sit with Blitzkrieg the whole night,  not exactly partying though.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

During the late 80's 90's we (The Queue) got to support a variety of bands coming through Canberra, partly because we had so many original songs and they didn't want cover bands.So these are very Australian oriented and predate all the metal stuff you guys are into:AngelsThe SaintsHodo GurusStevie Write (he was not well  :facepalm: ) lovely guy though.Ian Moss (Cold Chisel fame)SwaneeKevin BorichThere are many more just can't remember them, I also worked on many shows like Dire Straits farewell tour (with Hothouse Flowers), Hunters and Collectors (mixed them), Deck Chairs Overboard (did the fold back, my introduction to West Wylong NSW Australia  :facepalm: and a triple 4 way PA just when the world was changing from pin 3 hot to pin 2 (whyyyyy, so stupid, oh the US and Japan want us to  :facepalm: ) on XLR plugs, anyway this had many challenges.... particularly after a full day in Sydney followed by a 10 hour drive in a truck to West Wylong, load in to showground, set up on 2 semi trailer backs, sun comes up and then we work all day, pack up, get to bed at 4am
Spent most of the day with Joe Satriani (as his runner/driver), very nice guyMet Michael Hutchence (INXS) at a venue in Sydney, lovely guy, he still had really bad pimples/Acne back then.Of all the musicians I've met over the years, the better they are seems the nicer person they are, they have nothing to prove and are happy to give you the time of day.  The alsorans, and there are many, are generally painful (and their crew tend to be even worse).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Wow, what a night!   :headbanger:

Mobile Deathcamp had to cancel the rest of their tour due to a family illness back home unfortunately, so didn't get to see/meet them.   But man what a blast otherwise!  The guys in Raven were so humble, gracious, and just damn FUNNY to meet and be around.
They put on a hell of a show; so much energy and you could tell they were having just as much fun in the small club as they probably would have had in a stadium.  I took a lot of pics, but since they were "non-pro" pics from my phone most were too blurry to keep.  I bagged a cd, my first ever RAVEN shirt, and a few stickers.  After the show, Mark Gallagher approached ME to say hi, shook hands, complimented me on my Venom shirt, signed my cd, and posed for a selfie.  John was eating cake when I approached him for the autograph and selfie but as you can see he didn't mind a bit. lol  And just when you think the night couldn't really get any better, their tour manager asked for a copy of our latest album to take with them.   :o   
Some really cool memories made that night.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Looks like a FUN night, Kim!! Totally stoked for you.

Richard; I remember the Hoodoo Gurus, I think I had a couple cassettes of theirs back in the day.

Those ARE some big names, Panda  :thumb-up:

In the 80s, I was in the military, which didn't give me any time for a band, so I waited until the 90s. Living in Chico, opening for the bands that were traveling the college town circuit. We opened for Primus, they were really cool and they actually got me into ADA. Others that came through town included Cake, Sublime, Big Head Todd and the Monsters, early (and raw) Janes Addiction, and a lot of SF Bay Area bands you probably never heard of like Psychofunkapuss.

Our bass player's brother was the drummer for Counting Crows when they hit it big with Mr. Jones and Me. Once the singer pissed off MTV, the drummer started a new project called Third Eye Blind. Now, he tours with big name country acts.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey Kim, awesome!  Joe told me you had been in touch also :)

Hey man I'm so  >:(  jealous,  even though I played with Raven, I told you what happened!

I never even got to spend 5 minutes with them as the guy driving their fan told us they were not hanging about and off I went home right after leaving my gear back to rehearsal room so gutter by that.  Turned out the band went off, got freshened up and came back and sat around with a few of my friends (who wondered where I had gone) to have drinks and talk it out!  So heart broken.  I had every album they have done with me to get signed to.

What I was able to take away from the gig though was, in sound check John came up on stage and shook all our hands, complimented me on my Raven tshirt, and then last but not least I got to watch them being fantastic and incredible. 

Other disappointment, nearly got to do their European tour this year................but alas we had already planned out our own which evidently didn't expose us to anywhere near the same amount of people we would have had we been able to tour with Raven.  So disappointed  :facepalm:

But hey enough of my sob story, so glad for you (as well as jealous  :lol:)  glad you got to see them in all their glory and also probably hear a lot of their music you never heard before and may be you will start the Raven collection eh?????

:headbanger:

Pages: [1]   Go Up