ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New rack: JOB DONE!  (Read 32669 times)

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
New rack: JOB DONE!
« on: Time Format »

Ok guys...I don't want to leave the Mighty DannyJoe alone or leave him all the funny stuff!  :whoohoo!:

I would summarize some stuff I already wrote here and there in the Depot and show you what's going on.
The ADA MP-1 unit I've got has a very good tone with a couple of TAD 7025 tubes I've put in it.
I've tested some combinations with a TungSol 12AX7, but I found the TADs work very well together...very similar to the original non branded 12AX7A tubes from China with a little more punch and bass definition.
I will test a couple of 5751 JAN Spec Philips tubes and I'm going to buy a couple of JJ ECC83s, as MJMP suggested.
There's a lot of fun in this.

Now, going back to the new rack system, I've used the MP-1 with a Zoom 9150 (disabled preamp section) and found some interesting tones and sounds...but I was not 100% happy with the overall tone, since the 9150 has not a good AD/DA conversion and it adds too much color to MP-1 tone.

I was looking for something like a Quadraverb or first version Rocktron Intellifex to build a stereo setup, but I found a TC Electronic G Major at a ridiculous price and I bought it: it has everything I need, a very good Noise Gate included, and a lot of useful features.

Tonight I programmed in my MP-1 a couple of Nuno Bettencourt's settings, since I wanted to test a very nice Klon Centaur clone (that a friend o' mine built) in the ADA input and I had a lot of fun.

Currently signal from guitar enters the klone pedal and then the MP-1, it comes out stereo from MP-1, enters in GMaj stereo inputs and goes to the Rivera Pubster 25 from one out and to the Blackstar FLY3 amp from the other.

I'm waiting for an ADA B200s power amp and a 2x12 stereo Blackstar HTV cab to complete the stereo rig and be, as rnolan says, "in stereo Heaven".  :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger:

Here we go with some pictures of current rig's state to share with you, crazy people.  :metal:

« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: New rack: work in progress
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Absolutely, why should DjC have all the fun LoL.  Very cute rig my friend  :thumb-up: You are going to Looove the B200s and a decent stereo cab  >:D , promise me you'll turn it up to drummer in the room volume  :thumb-up: .
You did well with the TC GMaj (IMO), I like the Fxs Mike gets from his and, as you say, it has heaps of options. I've kind of given up on chasing Fx but listening to the sounds Mike is getting from his GMaj has got me a bit interested again....

While your tube rolling, maybe try a pair of Mullard RI long plates or even the Mullard RI short plates  :dunno: , the long plates are very articulate 3D tubes (comparatively), but careful, they show up your mistakes as well LoL
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Iperfungus

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Absolutely, why should DjC have all the fun LoL.  Very cute rig my friend  :thumb-up: You are going to Looove the B200s and a decent stereo cab  >:D , promise me you'll turn it up to drummer in the room volume  :thumb-up: .
You did well with the TC GMaj (IMO), I like the Fxs Mike gets from his and, as you say, it has heaps of options. I've kind of given up on chasing Fx but listening to the sounds Mike is getting from his GMaj has got me a bit interested again....

While your tube rolling, maybe try a pair of Mullard RI long plates or even the Mullard RI short plates  :dunno: , the long plates are very articulate 3D tubes (comparatively), but careful, they show up your mistakes as well LoL

I'm having a lot of fun collecting all this stuff back after 20 years.
When I had my first rack more than 20 years ago, I was a young student and I could not afford to buy all this "crack gear".
Today, instead, the funny side is that prices decreased so much that I can put together a good and complete rack system (including a flight case and cables, MIDI controller and expression pedal) and a good cabinet for less money than I paid for a used MP-1 at that time.

By the way, I didn't want to complicate my life too much...so I decided for a FX unit that I can use with my MP-1 without a line mixer...and the GMaj does an excellent job.

B200s, Blackstar cab, rack case and cables are on the way.

About tubes, I can buy a couple of JJs for 20 euros...while Mullard tubes cost 3 times more (60 euros for 2 tubes).
I would just be sure it really worth spending that money...

Are you talking about these tubes, Richard?

http://www.boxguitar.com/valvole/mullard/mullard-12ax7-cv4004/

http://www.boxguitar.com/valvole/mullard/mullard-12ax7/

These are the JJs:

http://www.boxguitar.com/valvole/jj-electronics/jj-ecc83s/12ax7/

There really is so much difference between these tubes to justify the price difference?

Furthermore, the TAD 7025s Highgrade tube should be another Mullard-like tube...probably the short plates model.
I like a lot the TADs in the MP-1...but I would be sure I don't buy too similar tubes.  ^-^

Currently, I'm using these ones: 7025s for V1 and 7025 for V2.

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/shop_TAD_Premium_Tubes_TAD_Pre_Amp_Tubes_SELECTED/7025_S_HIGHGRADE_Selected_Mullard_style_TAD_Tubes_1923

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/shop_TAD_Premium_Tubes_TAD_Pre_Amp_Tubes_SELECTED/7025_HIGHGRADE_TAD_Premium_Selected_390

Then, you're using Mullards in MP-2, isn't it?
But MP-1 has a different character...will they still work fine there? Did you ever tested these Mullards within a MP-1?

Tube rolling is a long and dark tunnel.  :facepalm:

PS. I did not pay all that money for my 7025 and 7025s TAD tubes...I've these tubes at home since some years and I remember that I paid 'em a much lower price...Bought them for my Rivera, but I preferred TungSol 12AX7 tubes there (and TungSol 6V6 tubes for power).
On the run again!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

(Tube rolling is a long and dark tunnel.  :facepalm:) Indeed. Yes they are the tubes, New Sensor Mullard re-issues, made in Russia.
The prices vary quite a bit.  I was paying $22 AUD for the long plates in Australia, they are now up to $30 AUD (http://tubeaudio.com.au/mullard-12ax7).  Dougs prices are pretty competitive and they are a good place to source tubes.
http://www.dougstubes.com/mullard-12ax7.html ($19.95 USD)
http://www.dougstubes.com/jj-ecc83.html ($21.95 USD)
Interesting that the short plates are often more expensive than the long plates, although same price here  :dunno: (http://tubeaudio.com.au/mullard-12ax7-cv4004/ also $30 AUD).
Not sure why, but tube prices in Europe seem (when I have looked) to be significantly higher than elsewhere.

A pair of long plates (JJ (and I suspect others) also make some long plates) is a good idea to try as they do sound/react differently. Based on my experience so far, I wouldn't put short plates in my MP-2s.  I'm yet to try them in my (recently acquired) MP-1 but others have. In the end it's quite subjective and you can (most do) end up with a bunch of tubes you'll probably never use again  :facepalm: .  Fortunately my journey hasn't been too expensive.  I tried Boogie SPAX7s (JJs) as I can buy them locally, and then the Mullard long plates (and am very happy with the LPs, so now I just buy more of them LoL, last order I bought 6 (3 pairs for various ie MB-1, MP-2 and I have a spare set to try in MP-1)).

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

If you want the closest to the Tubes that came originally in the MP-1 you gotta use the TAD 12AX7A-C (RT001).
If you want a really full and harmonically rich sounding hi-gain tube you gotta check out the Tube-Town E83CC (https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/Tubes/Tube-Town/TT-E83CC-12AX7-Standard::4673.html)

The attached tube-map is a rough guideline.....
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

Iperfungus

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Thanks guys! You rock!  :banana-jazz-smiley-emoticon:  :bow:

I've to say I'm not looking for tubes that are similar to original MP-1 tubes: I've the original tubes and they still have a lot of life and work fine and then I like a lot the TADs I put in there, very close to originals with a little more punch and bass definition.

I would prefer to test different tubes...Like the JJs or the Mullards could be...

@Richard: what about gain with Mullard RI tubes? short plates would have more, while long plates have less gain and more headroom?

On the run again!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

All 12AX7 tubes are high gain, some more than others.  I posted a comparison chart in the tube section a while ago and it had Mullards at the top of the high(er) gain tubes. Some stuff here worth reading (http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/The-Tubekings-Guide-to-NOS-and-Vintage-Audio-Tubes-/10000000017053944/g.html).
I haven't done a direct comparison between the long plate and short plate Mullards.  Everything I've read so far and my personal experience supports that LPs are more 3D and articulate (which suites my playing/preferences) than SPs. The Mullard LPs have heaps of gain  >:D .
Some tubes work better in different circuits.  (Fortuitously) The comments here at the depot are predominantly for MP-1/2 and MB-1 so this gives you a good head start.

So you have some TADs (and the original Chinese bottles), that base is covered.
JJs are probably the pick of the short plates  :dunno: (but they make a range of tubes, including LPs. Moreover they are often re-badged (eg Boogie SPAX7)). Definitely worth a try in MP-1, not in MP-2 (my taste). First tube change I did on my old MP-1 years ago was Boogie SPAX7s.  They were fine.
I recommend you try a pair of Mullard LPs next so you hear what we/I mean.  You'll definitely like them, you may even love them (like I do...). And you don't need to spend extra $s on matching etc for this application (ie MP-1).

Iperfungus

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

All 12AX7 tubes are high gain, some more than others.  I posted a comparison chart in the tube section a while ago and it had Mullards at the top of the high(er) gain tubes. Some stuff here worth reading (http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/The-Tubekings-Guide-to-NOS-and-Vintage-Audio-Tubes-/10000000017053944/g.html).
I haven't done a direct comparison between the long plate and short plate Mullards.  Everything I've read so far and my personal experience supports that LPs are more 3D and articulate (which suites my playing/preferences) than SPs. The Mullard LPs have heaps of gain  >:D .
Some tubes work better in different circuits.  (Fortuitously) The comments here at the depot are predominantly for MP-1/2 and MB-1 so this gives you a good head start.

So you have some TADs (and the original Chinese bottles), that base is covered.
JJs are probably the pick of the short plates  :dunno: (but they make a range of tubes, including LPs. Moreover they are often re-badged (eg Boogie SPAX7)). Definitely worth a try in MP-1, not in MP-2 (my taste). First tube change I did on my old MP-1 years ago was Boogie SPAX7s.  They were fine.
I recommend you try a pair of Mullard LPs next so you hear what we/I mean.  You'll definitely like them, you may even love them (like I do...). And you don't need to spend extra $s on matching etc for this application (ie MP-1).

Shit yes.
I will go for a couple of Mullard RI long plates.  :headbanger:
Then I will see... ^^

I used a long plates balanced ECC803s JJ as phase inverter within an ENGL Classic 50 tube head I had some years ago and it was excellent.

I do not want to start with too much stuff and confuse myself more than how already I am now (  :lol: ), so I will give Mullards a try and I will start from LPs, as you suggest based on your personal experience.

I was discussing the topic by email with MJMP as well, as I know he's a JJs guy and he prefers Ruby selected JJ tubes...but now I've the curiosity that killed the cat about Mullards.  :canadian-flag-banana-smiley-e

Thanks to everyone of you, mates!  :bow:
On the run again!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hey Max, a 12AT7 is probably a better tube for a poweramp phase invertor as they are lower gain (~70) but much higher current (good for poweramp output tube distortion (for those who chase/want that)) BTW there's a great article SC posted in the tube section about this.
I look forward to your results  :thumb-up: , I strongly suspect you'll like them allot  :whoohoo!: .

Iperfungus

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey Max, a 12AT7 is probably a better tube for a poweramp phase invertor as they are lower gain (~70) but much higher current (good for poweramp output tube distortion (for those who chase/want that)) BTW there's a great article SC posted in the tube section about this.
I look forward to your results  :thumb-up: , I strongly suspect you'll like them allot  :whoohoo!: .

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I fell in decisional crisis again....Banzai sells Ruby selected JJs...  :facepalm:

Mullard or JJ? Mullard or JJ? Mullard or JJ???

Both is not an option....I'm throwing a lot of money in crack gear already...  :poop: :poop: :poop:
On the run again!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Hey Max, the ruby JJs will be nice, you'll like them, the Mullards LPs will (IMHO) blow your mind... Frankly, in the MP-2, I was amazed how good they were/are (for me). Hey the ruby JJs are just one of the best that you have already...

Iperfungus

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Hey Max, the ruby JJs will be nice, you'll like them, the Mullards LPs will (IMHO) blow your mind... Frankly, in the MP-2, I was amazed how good they were/are (for me). Hey the ruby JJs are just one of the best that you have already...

So you would suggest Mullards LPs...  :bow:
As you already done, indeed...

JJs would be closer to original ADA tubes or TADs?
On the run again!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Man Iperfungus this is a fun thread Bro - Congrats on your new setup!  :banana:
Yes this stuff can be and is very addicting for sure!  ;D
 And I'm still on the fence about either the Quadraverb or the TC Gmaj2 - or the Rocktron Intellifex  :???:
But I'm reading everyone's posts on them and still gathering info  :D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

Iperfungus

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

And I'm still on the fence about either the Quadraverb or the TC Gmaj2 - or the Rocktron Intellifex  :???:

eheheheh....a lot of stuff is coming home:

1) 2 power amps (ADA B200s and Marshall Valvestate 8008)
2) 2 rack cases (2U and 4U)
3) another MIDI Controller (Behringer FCB1010 ready for the GMaj)
4) a good stereo 2x12 cab (Blackstar 212 HTV)
5) cables, cables, cables  :lol:

Funny and affordable!  :thumb-up:

I will just do a little more tubes rolling with the MP-1, I've just to decide among JJs and Mullards LP...

About FX, you cannot miss the target with anyone of them: Quadraverb, Intellifex or GMaj are very good units.
If you look for something good and cheap, go for the Quadraverb.
If you look for something good, cheap and complete, go for the Intellifex.
If you look for something good, cheap and MORE complete, go for a GMaj.

The Gmaj2 would cost more than a Gmaj...

If you look for a blast (still a little expensive), go for a Lexicon MPX G2 with R1 floorboard!  :thumb-up:
On the run again!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

eheheheh....a lot of stuff is coming home:

1) 2 power amps (ADA B200s and Marshall Valvestate 8008)
2) 2 rack cases (2U and 4U)
3) another MIDI Controller (Behringer FCB1010 ready for the GMaj)
4) a good stereo 2x12 cab (Blackstar 212 HTV)
5) cables, cables, cables  :lol:

Funny and affordable!  :thumb-up:

I will just do a little more tubes rolling with the MP-1, I've just to decide among JJs and Mullards LP...

About FX, you cannot miss the target with anyone of them: Quadraverb, Intellifex or GMaj are very good units.
If you look for something good and cheap, go for the Quadraverb.
If you look for something good, cheap and complete, go for the Intellifex.
If you look for something good, cheap and MORE complete, go for a GMaj.

The Gmaj2 would cost more than a Gmaj...

If you look for a blast (still a little expensive), go for a Lexicon MPX G2 with R1 floorboard!  :thumb-up:

Yeah you and I are going bananas with our gear buying these days :lol: But to get our sound we gotta do it!

Thanks for the additional info on the fx - I may roll with the Quad GT since I already know that unit so well. I had it in my first rack system back in  91' and loved the noise gate and the graphic EQ  :banana:
But as always, I'll keep everyone posted and still yet burden you with pics  ;D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up