ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone here boost their ADA MP1?  (Read 61232 times)

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
Re: Anyone here boost their ADA MP1?
« Reply #150 on: Time Format »

To be honest, I stopped boosting my MP-1: if I need more gain, I just push OD1 and OD2... :lol:
There's gain enough to kill a big bear.

JMP1 or other units like the Twin Tube or the PSA1 have less overall gain than MP-1, so an external booster can help for a bit of extra gain (those preamps have anyway a lot of gain, even if less than ADA).

This discussion made me want to try my DS-1 better, so yesterday I connected some guitars to DS-1 and DS-1 to my little Bugera V5 amp.
WOW!!!  :whoohoo!:
I have to correct what I wrote above: if Tone is set between 9 and 11.30 o' clock, you can turn the gain to max and set the level as you need and the DS-1 becomes a very nice distortion unit! Not fizzy, defined and warm.
Great, great pedal.

This makes me want a SD-1.  :facepalm:
On the run again!

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #151 on: Time Format »

I'll have to try that DS1 trick.  The GP8 has the DS1 circuit in it, and it's the Japanese version.  I don't mind the DS1 as a dirt pedal running into a clean amp stacking overdrives. 
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #152 on: Time Format »

I've watched so many of those videos about the Japanese version being better, I just can't get involved in that.  I actually don't think the DS-1 would disagree with like some uncooked meat.  I like the results I have heard other people get but I just get a feeling it would feel right to me.  However that big chunky mid peak in the DS-2 sounds more my thing.  I never realised it sounded like this until I saw detailed video of it the other day comparing with a DS-1.  It sounded like it would agree with me like minced steak and onions!!

Who know what it is like as a boost.

I too like the EQ boost.

But I've got really good results from a treble boost also.  If I find it thins the sound out too much I dial in more bass on the MP1 EQ.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #153 on: Time Format »

The Japanese DS-1 has a nicer high end to it, the newer ones sound more muffled. You can hear that very well in the second video. But the DS-1 as a boost, no not for me. The old MXR distortion + is a much better option for boosting tube amps IMHO.

Before I had the 3TM I always boosted my original MP-1 with a boss GE-7, Japanese made of course  :facepalm:  ;D Never liked OD's or distortions for boosting the MP-1.

JCM800 MV nothing beats a boss SD-1

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #154 on: Time Format »

The Japanese DS-1 has a nicer high end to it, the newer ones sound more muffled. You can hear that very well in the second video. But the DS-1 as a boost, no not for me. The old MXR distortion + is a much better option for boosting tube amps IMHO.

Before I had the 3TM I always boosted my original MP-1 with a boss GE-7, Japanese made of course  :facepalm:  ;D Never liked OD's or distortions for boosting the MP-1.

JCM800 MV nothing beats a boss SD-1

Been looking into the MXR's as well but alas the rat race of early 80's vs modern is a thing with this also.  I've heard it's a terrible pedal as well, but results I have heard with it sound pretty good to me.

The only boosts I have enjoyed with MP1 where an EQ or over drive.  The Biyang I have is fantastic.  Even comes with spare op amps to swap out and has different modes.  Actually my EQ is a Biyang to.  Really is a great EQ pedal, both actually are well made and well quite frankly sound excellent. 

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Chip Roberts

• Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #155 on: Time Format »

I've been curious about trying the Becos TS8-MS.  It's a tube screamer clone produced by a boutique company out of the Eastern Bloc.  It has a TON in the way of bells and whistles, but I would want to use it just as a boost for the MP1 that I can turn on and off via MIDI.  I spent an entire day reading the manual and still wasn't sure if I understood how to do it, but overall the sound seems pretty killer.

https://youtu.be/2Y9dZfUnnoQ
Rack of Death:

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #156 on: Time Format »

out of the Eastern Bloc

What is this some time between 1945 and 1989?

You mean Romania man.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #157 on: Time Format »

From what I see in the manual, it will bypass when it recieves either program change number 50,51,52,53 and goes on when it recieves either program change number 54,55,56,57. There is also some relay switching going on. So if you want to do this the best way is to use the midi out of the MP-1 going to the pedal and do some midi mapping.

Here is the manual for the midi   https://becosfx.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/TS8-MS_V2_MIDIControllerProgramming.pdf

DesolationBlvd

« Reply #158 on: Time Format »

I thought I'd have to boost my MP-1 on top of hitting it with hot pickups, like I do with my Marshall amps, but I found the MP-1 sounds and feels better with lower output pickups and not pushed. When the OD1 light starts lighting up, it sounds like it's ready to explode, but not in a good way for my playing style.

Lyates1987

« Reply #159 on: Time Format »

I've got a Clean tube channel I setup specifically for boosting with an OD. It's slightly dirty. I currently use a TS9 and an SD1. It takes both very well but I think it likes the SD1 more. I've been wanting to get that $300 Maxon Apex 808 they recently came out with that was built with all the original TS parts from the time period it was perceived to sound the best. My dad has one and it really does sound better than any 808 you buy new from guitar center. Lot more clarity and the typical TS mid bump on this model makes me cream.

Chip Roberts

• Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #160 on: Time Format »

I recently semi-completed my "B-Rig" with a Boss ME5 in the front for analog overdrive and chorus.  It's basically a bunch of MIJ Boss pedals, like the GP8, only no phaser, but analog chorus/flange.

Here's the issue I'm running into; I want to use the OD1 circuit as a boost to round off the low end and get things a little tighter.  On my GP8, I set the OD1 level to 100 and drive to 25, but the ME5 goes in increments of 1-7.  Where 1 is the lowest setting and 7 is the highest.  How the hell do I figure out how to set that?  :facepalm:
Rack of Death:

Pedalboard:

Cabinet:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up