Non ADA Gear > Speakers & Cabinets

New Speaker day

(1/7) > >>

rnolan:
So I finally pulled the trigger on some Lorantz speakers https://www.lorantz.com.au/loudspeaker-products/loud-speakers/12-inch-guitar/ac304u100-mi-12-inch-guitar/  I've been thinking about it for a few years now.... (spec sheet attached).  I have an old 2 x 12" cab that used to have Fender Twin Eminence 12"s in it.  The guy I got it from used to use it on top of a 15" cab for his bass rig.  I used to use it for miked up supports or smaller gigs.  I used this cab (open air in the back yard of the drummers house) when I set my (currant but old ~1980ish)) record where my friends could here me 13 Kms away (around 9 miles) clear as a bell and came to the party I was playing at  >:D .  Amp was my '73 Marshall 50 (no power soak needed that night  ;) ). 

So a friend put a bit of ply down the center of the cab for me.  With my MP-1 rig I had it wired stereo.  I wanted the separator to reduce phase cancellations. Obviously it's not as good as 2 separate cabs spread well apart for that lovely ADA stereo sonic experience, but it does ok and these days, I want less to lug and fit in the boot (if possible) (I think some of you guys call it a trunk?). 

So the cab has been restored by my friend (pics to come Dante  ;) ).  He wasn't happy just just installing the separator, he also cleaned up all the damaged/rounded corners etc. that many gigs brings to chipboard LoL, painted it and installed the 4 pin SpeaKon socket.   

The speakers came this week  :whoohoo!: I just have to screw then in and wire them up  :headbanger:   

BTW one of Loranzt's claims to fame is they make a Green Back clone that allegedly is as close as you'll get to the original's freq curve.

Dante:
Cool! Can't wait for pix

I hated running stereo in a cab without a wall - not so stereo really. It was definitely better with the wall, but whoo-boy, it was heavy. I used a Carvin 4x12, the one with the wavy logo. One heavy MF'er

rnolan:
I have a single ADA slant split stack I wired stereo ages ago and it gets quite flangey (albeit convenient).  I was thinking about how to put a separator in it, but as it's a sealed cab you have to go in through the speaker opening, tricky...  When I used to use this 2 x 12, it wasn't so bad as it has 2 quite large openings in the back, so not quite open back, more semi open.  When I selected the speakers I was in a quandary whether to get the 75w or 100w.  The 100w (which I went with) are 3kgs overall heavier as they have larger magnets.  And I wanted to keep the cab a light as possible.  In the end the 100w maps better to the amps I'll run it with (B200s, DCM200L and TS100).

Harley Hexxe:
I'll chime in here for what it's worth,

All my experiences with "stereo" cabs really left me unimpressed. I've come to believe that no matter how well a cab is isolated from one speaker to another, at three feet away, you can't tell any difference from a mono cab with the exception that it sounds a bit weaker. That's why I go with separate cabs, or combo amps, and I separate them by a fair distance. The Physics just doesn't let you get away with anything else.

rnolan:
Hey Harley, salient point my friend. Back in my MP-1 days I used a Yamaha Quad box with some cardboard gaphed down the center for bigger gigs and this 2 x12 wired stereo for smaller setups.  They both sounded better than mono.  Then I bought 2 x ADA split stacks loaded with Boogie Celestion 90w (as they were the only 8ohm speakers the store had in stock and I wanted the cabs 4 ohms to match with the ADA B200s).  Then I could separate them etc.  And that was better (as you say).  But now I don't want to lug so much stuff  :facepalm: .  I didn't find either setup weaker and they both sounded fine.  And the new ADA split stacks sounded even better (and as you say I could spread them more), but the boogie Celestions' are quite mid rangy like all things boogie (at the time). 

Anyway, I've managed to find a mob in Brisbane (SpeakerBug) that have the 5.2mm spade connectors (which is what the Lorantz need), and I ordered 4m x 50cm of wadding  and also some 4.7mm spade connectors to connect to the 4 pin Speakon socket (which are 3/16" = 4.78mm).  I could solder these connections but using spades is tidier.  I may have to file the Speakon lugs to make the 4.7 spades work  :dunno: .  So when that arrives, I'll use some 2 sided tape (or maybe a staple gun) and line the insides of the cab with the wadding and hear what it sounds like.  I'll rear mount the speakers (as they were originally).  Also, as the pics I'll take will show, each side is facing away from center.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version