ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Greetings from Scotland  (Read 20012 times)

scsibear

Greetings from Scotland
« on: Time Format »

Hey guys

Just joined the Depot a few days ago but had issues getting in, big Thanks to MJMP for sorting that out for me  :thumb-up:

Been playing about 36 years now and can't believe it's taken me so long to get an MP1, i've been running a JMP 1 for years into a 9100 50/50 Dual Monoblock with 5881's in it.
Anyway i got my Mp1 (unmodded) a few days ago now so looking forward to messing around with it.

cheers
scsi
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: Greetings from Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey SB

Hi and welcome to the depot,sorry it took a bit longer then expected.

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Welcome SB,

good to have new members aboard. I have a 9200 with 5881 in it too, great amp !

Cheers

TG
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hello SB,

Welcome to the Forum :thumb-up:

I would be curious to hear how you'd compare the two preamps through the Monoblock.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

scsibear

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Thanks for the welcome guys

@tomy: Yeah i like this amp a lot and i do favour the 5881's over the EL34's, just personal taste and all that, ya know.

@Harley: Sure man will do, it's been a bugger trying to get time to try the thing out  the other half's got me decorating the damn living room..that's rock 'n' roll i guess huh. when i get time i will tho  :lol:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey welcome scsibear, I suspect you'll like the MP1 allot  :thumb-up: >:D .  You may want to put some new tubes in it though, depending what's in there and how hard they've worked.

Have fun with the decorating LoL  :wave:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

@Harley: Sure man will do, it's been a bugger trying to get time to try the thing out  the other half's got me decorating the damn living room..that's rock 'n' roll i guess huh. when i get time i will tho  :lol:

I decorated my living room walls with my sword collection! I thought about adding a few guitars in between them, but Nahhh....they will be fine downstairs in my studio. Enjoy!

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

scsibear

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Thanks rnolan

I did love the guitar sounds of the 80/90's hair, when emm I actually had long hair too, these days it's more of the slap head variety, (..arrg the pain) but the sound and feel is still in my soul, i love the Ratt, White Lion sound, i even hear Mr Vai used an MP1 on his Passion and Warfare album, so it was a must buy.

Yeah i was thinking of re-tubing anyway at the moment it has Groove tubes GT2075's in both V1 and V2 but i have no idea how long they have been in there or what kind of use/abuse they have been exposed to. As regards the overall condition of the unit, it has typical rack rash as you would expect, however 2 knobs are missing one from the front and one from the rear, so i ordered some new ones from RS Components, it'll probably be getting put in to get a full service anyway, god knows how good the caps will be after this time OR perhaps  save a little and get a few mods done, the noise one mainly i'd like to keep the unit as it was no extra tube etc just new jacks and pots. Ohh and it's version one with the old switch on top for line level selection, so might have a few jobs for MJMP later down the line as he seems to be the man to go to for this kinda thing.

Regards
scsi
« Last Edit: Time Format by scsibear »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

I think you mean GT7025's ;D

scsibear

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

LOL hahaha emm yeah that is exactly what i meant, maybe i have developed Dyslexia as well as hair loss :P

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Yeah getting older really sucks  :lol:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Hey scsibear

welcome from one fella celt to another!!  :thumb-up:

Good to have you on board.  Playing Edinburgh this year with my band as well!!  Love Edinburgh a lot!  Visiting just for a short holiday in June also!!!
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey scsibear, MJMP is a good person to help you out with a good service... or if you're up to a bit of soldering he can get you the bits you need (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm).
Well the GT tubes are not original so they were changed out at some point.. Have a read through the tube section here for a bunch of good ideas for different tubes, very subjective area as they all sound so different so depends on the sound you like. One combination I can vouch for is a Mullard Short plate new sensor reissue in V1 and a Boogie SPAX7 (which is probably a JJ) in V2. My friend Mike went for this combination and it sounds great  >:D .
I think the noise mod replaces all the caps that need doing (and yes it's probably time  :facepalm: )
Also replace the memory battery (battery mod), if it's never been replaced, it is definitely time (a few here have had a battery fail recently, so you loose all your custom patches)
Rear jack mod replaces the front (and rear) input jacks.  The front jack takes the most wear so it up there on the things to do (but you cant get the jack sockets anymore, but fortuitously, the rear jack mod sorts this out  :thumb-up: ), the mod turns the rear jack into inst level input (stock is line input level) and replaces both the front and rear sockets.  The switch on top changes the main outs from line to inst level (to plug into a guitar amp input (inst level) or into a poweramp (line level)) so the rear jack mod doesn't affect this.
And of course there's the MDRT upgraded transformer  >:D :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

scsibear

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Hey RG nice to meet ya, yeah Edinburgh is nice when the sun comes out but this is Scotland so we know it more as Rain Central i think some of us even got webbed feet.

@rnolan: Ok i gave it a good run through today, i think the unit is pretty spanked, I did a full reset but it's very nasally, honkey even in some presets most of them actually, some have no preset whatsoever 31 - 64 is just silence as is many random others, 65 sounds like a flanger in the background but no sound from the guitar here either, (sounds like it's under attack by Klingons) i don't think even new tubes will fix that any ideas what's going on there ?

Also thanks for MJMP's link I'm gonna need it, BTW those mods you mentioned sound like they will be the ones i'll need, especially the rear ones as i'll be going in via a Furman PQ3 then into the mp1 then out to the RME Fireface 802. I'll have to discuss it with MJMP he'll know if the unit is beyond repair or not too, but i do hope it can be fixed.

Regards
scsi

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Welcome to the Depot, SCSI Bear!!

Good to have you along. I'm sure MJMP will take care of you & get the preamp in working order.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up