ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cooling your Rack  (Read 9382 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Cooling your Rack
« on: Time Format »

Ok guy's who here uses the clip on fan idea to cool their rack?

I believe it was Soloist who gave me the idea to try this, so I'm only getting around to trying out the idea now that I have an amp that gets hot and a preamp that gets hot.

If any of you guys do this, what size of fan are we talking about here?  I think a 6" fan may be too large, I dunno.

All cooling tips welcome, particularly regarding a clip on fan powered via power conditioner  :thumb-up:
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: Cooling your Rack
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Well I used a rack blind plate like this one  https://www.thomann.de/be/adam_hall_87221vr.htm?ref=search_rslt_rack+blind+plate_251513_0
And I installed 3 40mm fans (they just fit to the inside) and powered them with  9V.You can install these on the front like I did (between my mp-1 and mp-2) or on the back.

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I've used one whenever I felt it might be necessary.   A 6" fan would probably be about perfect, IMO as long as you have a good place to attach it easily.   I've experimented with having the fan blowing directly into the back of the rack, and with attempting to suck the hot air out from the back of the rack.  The sucking doesn't work very good in that setup, unless you specifically design the rack to accommodate that type of airflow...meaning the fan has to be sealed to the rack and have a proper place for the incoming air to be drawn in through.  While that may be the best way scientifically the best way, it's not the easiest by far and probably overkill anyway.  Just having a small clip fan (not sealed to the rack) blowing into the back of the rack will move the air around plenty.  Or, a blind panel fan unit as MJMP suggests would be plenty good too.

My poweramp has it's own fan within its chassis, so I'm not worried about having another fan for that rackcase, but the preamp does get pretty warm on the front panel and top lid.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Kim »

vansinn

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

For a 3-4 unit rack, I would:
Mount each device with a tiny separation space for having an airflow passing over and under.
Fully close the back, and install two large-diameter (120/140mm) 12 volt fans, powered through a 7809 regulator.
This will create an airflow from front to rear surrounding all devices.
The rack rails will likely need modifications in order to mount the devices with separation.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I believe a 6" clip on fan is fine for what you want to do. I've used them for years, clipped to the back of my Fender Twins. I'll probably use them again in the RMC Rack heads, if I can find a suitable place to clip them onto. This is because those head cases are too shallow to mount rear rack rails on them to install rack mounted cooling panels on.
   My 22U rack has front and rear rack rails for this purpose. Like Kim, my power amp also has a cooling fan in the back of it however, my preamps do not. For cooling those down, and I may use up to four preamps in that rack, (minimum two), I choose AC Infinity T7 cooling system, because it's quiet. They are a bit pricey at $100 USD each, and Pyle makes similar ones at half the price, I chose those because this rack is mostly in the studio, and I need to keep the noise down. The nice thing about those is, I can flip two of the fans over, and have them blow cool air into the rack while the other two, blow air out. I have small rubber pads that I stick to the underside of the preamps on the back corners, to give the air a chance to get in there a little bit, (much like Sinn suggests).
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

All useful information here guy's.

I guess there is no need for me to go to the lengths that you did MJMP

Sinn, not sure how I could do such a thing with my 3U and soon to be 4U ABS plastic rack case.

Kim, well the fact you've done it before sounds like it's the way to go then.   My poweramp (Rocktron Velocity   :thumb-up:) has a fan also but I want to keep the air moving and also help cool the amp and preamp down.  My other poweramp did not have a fan and did not get as hot so I don't think I really needed cooling, where as the velocity gets hot, and if it's mounted below a preamp that is also getting hot then their going to heat each other, so time for some help I think in the way of an extra fan.

Harley, cool 6" fan isn't to large then to be pointed into a 3u and possibly 4U case?  Ok not it's just about sourcing a fan.

Here is another question, my power fan seems to blow air out the top, if the preamp or any other unit is mounted above this, this will restrict the cooling right?  So I should have a space then? 

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, if you put a 1RU space above the poweramp you probably don't need an additional fan (not that it hurts).  Also for the preamp, one trick is to use the little stick on rubber "feet" that came with the MP-1 (or similar (a bit like what Kim was saying), this ensures reasonable airflow under the preamp (which I mount on top as then you have a bit of rack air above it as well).  MP-1s don't get as hot as MP-2s. With my MP-2 rig, the MP-2 is at the top, then QV underneath (which is no where near as deep), I prefer a space above my B200s as its heat sinks are on the top and it gets quite hot. Also have the rack open front and back, I've never had an issue with heat over the past 25 + years, but typically I'm only running one preamp.  Putting a MP-1 or MB-1 under an MP-2 (all turned on) then a fan is a good idea...
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, I still use the clip fan. Works great! I also leave a 1 ru space between all my preamps and power amps. I  know it's hard to do with smaller racks though. However by just adding a clip fan will lower your rack temp tremendously  :thumb-up:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Well an MP-2 gets pretty hot and so does the mp-1 after a while so I decided to put some fans in there. I had the blind plate and fans lying around and it took less then an hour to install, much cooler now. And if needed I can switch it off. Maybe I'll install a few more fans in it to get even more airflow.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

lets get one thing straight, as much as I would love a "fridge" sized rack, it's pointless since I can't take it anywhere and (for example) when I travel to Malta next year I can hardly demand from the promoters

"now since I am traveling guys you will need to supply with me 1 Ada MP1, a Peavey Rockmaster, a rockman Instrument EQ, a Boss NS-50, a Boss SX700, a digitech ISP33 and a Furman PC, "  (I could add more  :facepalm:)

"if you don't supply...........I no come to play ya here??"

So realistically I cannot go the full haul such as you have MJMP, however I most certainly would had I the road crew and the private jet.

Hey Soloist, can you send me a pic of your fan?  I'm using a 3U at the moment but I think I will be expanding  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: to a 4U to allow for the extra space between Power amp and Preamp...................or have the PA in a separate smaller case.  Anyways I should have plenty of space to have a clip fan facing into the back of the rack.

How big is the rack you cart around Soloist?

Guy's should I get a fan for my home studio rack? It's not enclosed, it's open but the stuff is stacked with no spaces.

MJMP, I definitely think MP1s get hot, not critical, but I can see a fan for one being useful all the same.  Why is MP2 running hotter normally?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Yeah I understand that Gerry, but I just showed it for others that maybe want something like this, it's small, easy to make if you have the room for it. If I had to play in Malta I wouldn't carry this "fridge" around, so I totally understand. Now if you come to Belgium I might help you out  ;D Next time you come to Belgium we might try to do a gig together

The MP-2 has always been a big heat generator, it has a lot more stuff in it and it has more voltages, the MP-1 is +5,-15 +15V the MP-2 +5,+12 -15 +15 -24 +24V so 6 voltage regulators that generate a lot of heat.So after 4 hours of playing it get's pretty hot without cooling, with adding the fans it's a lot cooler.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

I carry two small fans with me to put in front of my pedal board to blow on ME.  :lol: They are 10" household fans, and part of my rig. I call them my biggest fans.  :facepalm:

Since I play in a HOT place (over 100° F) I use the second fan on my rack sometimes. I just set it on a chair behind my rig and point it at the back of the rack. I use my pedal board cover for shade on the top of the rack.

Never been a problem, and I've played plenty of outdoor gigs in the summertime for festivals, backyard parties, etc.

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey Gerry, here's a pic of my fan. Nothing special just a 6 inch clip fan. I just clip it on the back side of my rack so it blows air from back to front.
My fridge is a 21 ru. My guitar tech / roadie gets a work out moving that thing. :facepalm:
Sorry for the odd size pic, I uploaded from my phone.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Soloist »
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Ok that fan is like the ones I have been checking out online, so I shall purchase one when I come back from Poland  :thumb-up:  Thanks Soloist.

MJMP  no man your idea is a great idea and good to share the info with others, I was just joking that I couldn't do anything like that (which is a shame as I'd love a fridge............and a roadie.....................and a guitar tech).  I have to keep things at best sound and maximum practicality.  It will probably never be any different for me either despite being a band with enough of a profile to travel to other countries.

I couldn't get anyone to dedicate their time to lugging my gear about and keeping my guitars in check Soloist so I'm quite jealous.

Dante, so you just use a regular big fan, like a desk fan and have it positioned at the back of your rack?

Our drummer has a uge fan he takes to gigs sometimes, like the kind that could power a guy in a parachute, one of those kinds  :lol:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, the only time I've had heat problems is with my studio rack (also, like yours, totally open)  IIRC I had a MP-2 sitting on top of a MB-1 but not screwed in so very little (if any) gap, then I had MP-2 fade from heat. Just make sure there is the biggest gap possible between the hot stuff, even a few mm makes a difference (eg as you tighten up the rack bolts, push a lager flat head screwdriver between the units so the gap is a wide as possible..)
I like MJMPs 1RU fans  :thumb-up: , if your rack has rear rack rails you could mount it from the back.  Keeping poweramps separate also makes sense heat wise but doesn't help portability.  However, a small 6" clip on fan seems to do the job (from what the guys say), but one more thing to carry...
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up