ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey Rockmaster - possibly blown to death!!  (Read 10172 times)

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
Re: Peavey Rockmaster - possibly blown to death!!
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Damn, that's a bummer RG.  :'(

You gotta love the Peavey stuff like this.  Tough as a tank, simple design and layout, neat and easy to work on should the need ever arise.  My Classic 60/60 tube poweramp (and many other US built Peavey stuff) is another example of "gee whiz, that's all there is inside that awesome sounding and heavy thing?"

Now just find out where the electricity stops flowing.   Carefully!
Start with the mains cord; electricity coming into the chassis?
Juice going into the transformer?
Juice coming out of transformer?
Then follow the circuits from the transformer to the caps.  Juice in?  Juice out?
Etc.  until you find where the electric flow stops.  Again, do this carefully as to not touch stuff with your hands.  Your 230v mains would probably light you right up.   :banana-trip:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Right, Nice one, now we got pics,  :thumb-up:

Yes,

http://guitarkitbuilder.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/12ax7-base-pinout.jpg

thats looking at the valve base fron the rear side, not the side you plug in your valve. Pin 1 or 6 should be almost the same voltage give or take.

Anyways, try this instead now that we got some pics.

1, Unplug the pre-amp from the wall,
2, Take out both those two plugs that are connected to the PCB from the power transformer.
3, Set your meter to the highest AC range and pop the probes into the two red pins of the white molex connector plug.
4, plug in and power up the preamp and test for voltage there, it should be around from about 150 to about 220 VAC. tell us what you got?

NEXT

5, turn your preamp power off again at the wall.
6, Keep your multimeter on AC, now plug the black probe of your meter into the middle orange wire pin of the other white molex plug with the three orange wires, plug your RED meter probe into the outer orange pins one at a time with the mains power switched back on, tell us what you get ?

Be careful now !!!!!

So I'm testing the two red wires+white plug that's coming out of the transformer first Rusty?

Hey Kim, yeah gutted man, dunno what happened!  Was on one minute then dead the next!  It is nearly 30 years old I guess, so who know what might have failed on it.  I tested voltage going into the power chord and it's definitely reaching the tranny.  That's all I know for sure right now.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Rusty

« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Yes, we are testing the two red wires on the white plug that comes from the transformer. AC voltage.

Also, we are testing the middle orange with the two outer orange wires seperately, the middle orange wire being zero volts (floating now), each outer orange wire on the plug should have AC also,  check the two outer orange wires together and the voltage should be double.

Careful man !!! 
« Last Edit: Time Format by Rusty »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

ok I did that on both plugs.

First plug with red wires, put the two prongs into the either hole where each of the red wires goes to.  Got nothing.

Next did the orange wired plug, put the black in the middles and used the red prong in either of the other holes side by side of the centre.  Nothing on the meter!

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Ok hitting the sack here, I'll pick this up tomorrow, thanks again for helping.  I just tried those tests again and still nothing.

Rusty

« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

OK, tomorrow we'll test the primary (otherside) of the transformer tomorrow and everything else on the live mains side with those two plugs pulled out.

We'll be working on mains 240VAC next,  if you have a GFCI or RCD outlet adaptor knocking about that would come in handy for safety.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Let's start simple and safe, set your meter to ohms, UNPLUG the peavy, set the power switch to on and measure on the power plug, you should have resistance (in the 50-100 ohm range I guess) then unplug the red and orange plug, red plug measure the resistance between the 2 connections, orange measure the resistance of the 2 outer connections and then the middle to left and middle to right. Let us know. If this checks out you know the transformer is good.

Rusty

« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

ok I did that on both plugs.

First plug with red wires, put the two prongs into the either hole where each of the red wires goes to.  Got nothing.

Next did the orange wired plug, put the black in the middles and used the red prong in either of the other holes side by side of the centre.  Nothing on the meter!

Right, we are almost there RG,  Take your time and be safe  !!!

With those two plugs still un-plugged out from the PCB and with your meter on the highest AC range and the mains switched on.

Connect the black probe of your meter to the white wire on the rear voltage selector beside the incoming blue neutral wire then test both of those black wire solder connections on the front rocker switch, flip the switch if need be, you got to be reading 240VAC on both of those black wires on the switch.

If so, with the power still on, go back and test the two red wires again on that plug disconnected from the PCB, any way around with your meter probes will do.

Also, with the power still on, test the orange wires as before, with the plug disconnected from the PCB, the black meter probe to the middle orange wire and the red meter probe to the outer orange wires seperately and tell us what you got ?

Here's a drawing that may help you understand more clearly what I mean, sorry if its a little bit rough and ready  :)

*** Edit ***More info ***

Hey RG I found this on https://music-electronics-forum.com/showthread.php?t=47870

It looks about right to me for the secondary output voltages of what that transformer should be around.

The secondary specs for the 70529303 are:
Sec 1 322 vac @ .041 amps
Sec 2 41.9 vac CT @ .403

Meaning; the voltage across the two reds should be about, 322 VAC

and the voltage across the two outer oranges about, 42 VAC
and with the orange center tap in the middle,  21 - 0.4 - 21 VAC

My hand drawn voltage values were only a guestimate on the drawing attachment,  :)

Hope thats of any help,  Let us know what you get.

Take your time, don't panic and be safe !!!!   :)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Connect the black probe of your meter to the white wire on the rear voltage selector beside the incoming blue neutral wire then test both of those black wire solder connections on the front rocker switch, flip the switch if need be, you got to be reading 240VAC on both of those black wires on the switch.

Ok I did this and I only get a reading on the lower black wire for about 235v.  Does this mean the power switch has failed and the cause of the issue??
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

Rusty

« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

It could be RG. hopefully it is, BUT do this test first.

1,  Unplug the pre-amp from the wall socket
2,  Set your meter to the lowest ohms range, usually 200 ohms (again you might have auto range so don't worrie)
3,  put your probes upon those two black wires on the rocker switch and switch it on and off,

your meter should read from 000.00 ohms and then change to 20 million ohms (normally indicated by just a 1 on your meter display = infinity) as you flip the switch on and off.

If the reading doesn't change on the meter when you switch and your ohms reading is always a 1 then the switch has packed up !

lettuce no what you get ?

Good man.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Also I tested connectivity with the power switch and at no point do the two terminals allow for connectivity.  Suggesting to me the switch has gone (which makes sense as it has been switched on and off a lot since I have been tube rolling).  Any way of testing to be sure?

Rusty

« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

try my ohms test above first please RG,

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Just did the test again using the ohm setting, when the two leads touch, I get a reading fluctuating from 01.0 to 00.05.

When I place the leads on the two terminals of the switch and flick it on and off I get nothing in either setting!

my meter defaults to "1" when there is no reading.  When it receives  a reading at this setting it changes to 00.0 and then will move up or down depending on the reading.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

Rusty

« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

UNPLUGGED of course !!!!!

Make sure you have a clean contact with your meter probes on those solder joints of both black wires, scape off the old solder residue rosin on those wire joints with a knife or something like that first so you get good clean contact with you meter probes.

Then place your meter probes across each solder wire joint and turn the switch on and off, your meter should respond accordinly,  we are not looking for exact meter readins here, as long as we see 1 or zero ish alternating on and off that should be good enough on the meter to show.

if not then the switch has packed it's bags.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

Ok here are pics, first pic meter with out probes touching
IMG-20190312-181630" border="0

second is what I get when the leads touch

IMG-20190312-181650" border="0

third leads touching the switch terminals and the rocker in the down position

IMG-20190312-181818" border="0

fourth leads touching the switch terminals and the rocker in the up position

IMG-20190312-181827" border="0

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up