ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 45   Go Down

Author Topic: what are you listening to this week?  (Read 240530 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: what are you listening to this week?
« Reply #135 on: Time Format »

Aaah what do you think,i listened to the Raven album and then i got back in time and listenend to Rock unitl you drop,now that was one hell of an album!!!!!

Loudness,grunge ???? Don't think so :crazy:  great band altough there music styles shifted over the years but they never played grunge IMHO.My fav albums are the 4 first ones,The birthday eve,Devil solder,Law of devils land and Dissillusion (it came out in a Japanese and English version).We play a cover of this album with the band (Crazy doctor).
Akira Tagasaki is a great guitar player,so check them out!!!!

What!!  I can't believe you didn't think the new Raven album was great!! it's a triumph for guys that age to be still be able to lay that way let alone play better than people half their age, oh and John Gallaghers singing!!  Destroys anyones!!!  I look forward to meeting them in November when we support them on their current tour.

Yeah I like the Loudness album I have, it's great.  I read they went grundge lol  actually no I just checked what I read and it said "Groove metal" which is utter balls in my opinion.  The early stuff sounds f**king great though, everything before Mike Vescera I have heard sounds good!!

Tagasaki  is great player agreed.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #136 on: Time Format »

I didn't say it was a bad album but it sounded different from what i was used to hear from raven,that's why i listened to rock until you drop.You have to admit that was one hell of an album.I think it's an age problem as well,when you're young you're full of aggression and you can hear that on their first album.This applies to a lot of bands.For instance take iron maiden,take their first albums and compare it with the new one,far less aggressive.But on the other hand i think it's a normal evolution when you grow older you calm down.Just my 2 cents.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #137 on: Time Format »

Of course it sounds different from Rock until you drop.  Less agressive, totally disagree with that.  Actually surprised you said that.  It's as intense and heavier than Rock until you Drop. It's also more mature and 35 years later.  The difference for me is mainly production.  It's totally Raven in every way.

I'm only saying this next sentence to highlight something, not being a d*ck  :thumb-up:.  But I have every album they have ever done, and the train of progression from Rock until you Drop can be heard all they way through the back calalogue right up until the latest album.  You can't expect the exact same sound on an album 35 years apart, although to me and anyone else I know who has heard the album it's totally Raven.  The new album sounds like the sound Raven have had from like 1983 onward.  Of course there are always refinements along the way.  The new one sounds more like All for One than Rock until you drop, but mostly due to production and guitar tones.  Michael Wagner produced that Raven album.  He counts them as one of the best he has ever worked with.  He's actually thanked on the new album.

As for Iron Maiden, I left Iron Maiden a long time ago.  I can't stand them now.  I like the 1st two albums best, then Somewhere in Time, Seventh Son and perhaps Piece of Mind and Power Slave.  I heard their new album sounds shit.  I can't be bothered to check it out as the band does not interest me at all anymore.  Is it different from their first album?  Of course it is.  Less aggressive?  I dunno haven't heard it.   It will never sound like the Dianno days because they moved away from that because they got Bruce Dickenson and he sings in a completely different style.

I do kinda know what you mean though, but I wouldn't say it happenes everyone.

I have a saying, "bands sounded better when they were poor".

Now I exagerate with that a little bit but it gets a point across that I think relates to what you are saying.  Perhaps bands are hungrier and more raw before they make it big and lots of money?  Raven thankfully never had the commercial success of and Iron Maiden for example, so they remain undiluted for me.  In saying that they play all round the world and have a huge following STILL!  I know I would be happy with that in the current climate of the music industry.  No one makes any real money anymore so no chance of me becoming diluted  :lol:
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #138 on: Time Format »

Well i really like the new maiden album,best cd they put out in years.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #139 on: Time Format »

Really?  I've heard different.  The last time I heard modern Iron Maiden was in a music store and I thought it was Gamma Ray until the guy on the radio said it was Iron Maiden.

So is it as aggressive as the first two albums?

The last time they played Ireland everyone I spoke to thought they were rubbish, apart from the drunk people.

The last album I enjoyed, was X Factor.  And that is very very different which is why most people hate it.  I find more people these days appreciate it though.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #140 on: Time Format »

No it will never be again like the first 2 albums i guess,but it's kinda progressive stuff,which i really like.I would say have a listen and judge for yourself.You may like or... not  8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #141 on: Time Format »

Richard had to come along and open this can of worm didn't he  ;)   :lol:
  >:D Hey RG from our perspective it's mostly an academic discussion. The majority of rock music is in A440 but sometimes tuned down a semitone or further (but generally from A440) . The more recent diatribe is around stretch tunings' like Buzz featon etc. These tunings aren't new, just Buzz managed to patent one (there are lots of them BTW), it all goes back to when Bach developed Weston tempered tuning, so now the only "perfect intervals" are octaves, all the 3rds and 4th etc are slightly stretched. But if you do it from A445 as your base,  it's just relative.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Rusty

« Reply #142 on: Time Format »

I'm kinda blown away by a guy called Amir john Haddad at the moment. I went to see this guy few weeks ago at a classical guitar festival where he played amazing flamenco guitar, He also plays heavy metal guitar and the oud
You can check him out on youtube or at his web site,  http://amirjohnhaddad.com/?lang=en

or here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6NVCnwaFmg

or this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_QMxGbMgMo

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #143 on: Time Format »

This week a throw back to metal, Metal Church and Testament :metal:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #144 on: Time Format »

This week a throw back to metal, Metal Church and Testament :metal:

Both are great bands !!!!!!!!

been listening to Viva (great German metal band of early 80's) and Heavy Metal Army (Japanese metal band from early 80's)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #145 on: Time Format »

All Raven this week!

Raven - All For One
Raven - Stay Hard
Raven - Life's a Bitch
Raven - Nothing Exceeds like Excess
Raven - Walk through Fire
Raven - Extermination
Raven - MAD ep

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #146 on: Time Format »

Found a fairly new band from Texas called Polyphia.  Very young, but with serious talent and potential.

https://youtu.be/qNYfM0ovwug
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #147 on: Time Format »

All Raven this week!

Raven - All For One
Raven - Stay Hard
Raven - Life's a Bitch
Raven - Nothing Exceeds like Excess
Raven - Walk through Fire
Raven - Extermination
Raven - MAD ep

What no rock until you drop  8)

DorsetRatt

« Reply #148 on: Time Format »

Hey All, recently joined the forum  :)

This weeks playlist consists of a couple of oldies, one from each side of the pond ...

Diamond Head: Living On Borrowed Time
Shotgun Messiah: Second Coming
« Last Edit: Time Format by DorsetRatt »
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #149 on: Time Format »

Diamond Head: Living On Borrowed Time
Shotgun Messiah: Second Coming

Shotgun Messiah.....hell ya! :thumb-up:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 45   Go Up