Let's Get Technical > Power Amp Tech

Microtube 100 colors your tone or is transparent?

(1/3) > >>

El Chiguete:
So what would you guys says is a better description of a Microtube 100 power amp, is it a transparent amp or colors your tone?

The reason I ask is because I was thinking of using it one day to amplify the tone in this order (similar to what EVH did):

1) line out from amp after power section
2) effects
3) transparent power amp to guitar speaker cabinet

GuitarBuilder:
Color - very pleasing, but color nevertheless.

rnolan:
Hey El Chiguete, I had one for a little while, (Dante has it now, and I assume it's doing well (Dante??)), it's a US version and I ran it on a step down tranny (Oz).  Was never great for me, didn't seem to be happy on the SD tranny, hummed a bit...; but more to your question, it does colour the tone, yes a bit but not in a bad way, kind of warm transparent (hopefully no to much of an oxymoron), the B200s though, you just don't notice it's there (apart from being very loud (if you want  >:D )).

Dante:
I don't have it anymore, but I do have way too many frickin amps right now.

I seem to remember the MT-100 being a bit warmer than most SS Amps, so yes, some color. Nothing that couldn't be dealt with, or even preferred.

I like my MT-200 the best (I think) but I cannot part with the T100s (even though it weighs more than my car)

McLeanAB:
I had one for a while too... didn't notice the "color" until I started running my Engl e530 1.5 on board power amp.  THEN it seemed very colored.  Not in a bad way, just not solid state in your face color.  The Rocktron Velocity I had (SS) was much "clearer" and transparent.  Again, I liked the Microtube, but I just prefer the sound of a solid state amp.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version