Non ADA Gear > Amps

Good power amp suggestions for MP1

(1/8) > >>

rabidgerry:
Just stating this topic as it came up in anoher area by accident in the "what cabs are you using" discussion.  Apologies if this has been doen before guys.

So Far I' have Carvin TS100 and AdA B200s

Do people prefer tube or solid state fopr their MP1/2 units?  Linear or coloured.

I got an impression that a good solid state with some flexibilty in regards to speaker reactance controls and presence controls would be the ticket for an MP1 or even a tube power amp.

However I hear from rnolan that linear is the way to go for our beloved preamps.

Throw out your ideas people.

Currently I have linear Crate Powerblocks and I was not intending on using them with the MP1 however I may just stick with them since they are linear and powerful. I was thinking along the lines of a Rocktron Velocity 300 or Marshall Valvestate 8008 myself as I could afford them and they are 1U.

I guess I had the idea that a tubey sorta solid state or just full tube power amp would be the way to go simple to act like a power section of a proper amp head like JCM800 or something like that but then may be that's not required.  Interested in yer thoughts.

rnolan:
Hey RGerry, from a sound perspective, tube power amps have a bit of a warmth edge (and always will), and I don't know why but tube watts are punchier  >:D well that's my experience... ie less = more compared to SS amps.

rnolan:
Try a tube power amp if you want, but I recon your powerblocks (bypass preamp stuff) will be fine.  Just runup/test you sounds at stage vol  :thumb-up: and run it stereo  :thumb-up:

rabidgerry:
I will defo try the power blocks.  They are stereo man and I have ran in stereo for the last few years and I could never go back as I love a harmony effect or two and I love my stereo chorus used subtley.  Sometimes I can't run in stereo at gigs but I try most places I play.  For my up coming uk tour in the new year I will defo be running in stereo.  Whether or not I get to bring the ADA with me or not is another question.  I have to get MarshallJMP to do some modding for me  ;)  also I bought another one from the states and I will need a new transformer (I am a greedy gear hoarding b**tard).

Power Blocks have been amazing to take to gigs although sometimes it doesn't like other peoples cabs when they ony have say 16ohm and I only get half the power and crap like that.

rnolan thanks for your input it is appreciated.

Oh one more thing, I have always used SS, usually because I could never afford all valve, perhaps SS is for me but with the tube preamp eh?

Systematic Chaos:
Once again very subjective.....
I personally like the coloration a tube power amp adds...in particular the Mesa SimulClass 2:90.
OK, it´s heavy as a tank.....but the SimulClass thingy totally got me. I have (per channel/side) 2 6L6GC running in Class AB with another 2 EL34B running in Class A simultaneously. This very characteristic sound and the additional Voicing options (switchable) of Deep, Modern and Half-Drive simply do it for me.
But as I said, its very subjective since I dig the characteristic Boogie Mk Hi-Gain sounds (IIC+, IV)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version