ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Squier Strat upgade project  (Read 14721 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Squier Strat upgade project
« on: Time Format »

Hey All, well I've embarked on may latest guitar project, (RG you'll relate to this  >:D ), I have a $200 AUD ish Squier strat that I bought for a friends son, deal was if he got keen, buy it from me, long story short, he didn't an now I have it. So it's a Chinese Fender Squier bullet, black with white scratch plate and rosewood FB. So I set it up and used it at rehearsal, mmmm not bad, nice to play but no sustain and PUs are very ordinary (no surprise). I'll temper this with ( I always wanted a black with white SP strat as that's what Blackmore had way back then when I was 13.... so I'm keen...)

Move forward.. It's now got a nice set of Gotoh black chrome MHds, and a Wilkingson trem (lets get some sustain...) and a graphtech nut,  and now I'm doing the electronics, SD hot rails for the bridge, SD lil 59 for the neck, switchcaft OP jack, 2 x push pull pots for series/parallel switching of the SDs'.

So now I'm working out the wirering... I want the middle (of 5 poss switch) to be neck and bridge (maybe out of phase, haven't decided), they will each have series/parallel switching from their pots and each have their respective vol control, and either extreme bridge or neck PU. So now the issue is how to work in the middle SC PU so I can combine it with Bridge or Neck.

Of note the 5 way switch is (well new to me) a1 a2 a3 aout / bout b1 b2 b3 (note a1 = b1 but separate out etc) . So my idea (feedback welcome/encouraged BTW) is to have both neck and bridge PUs with individual volume control (series parallel push pull) and wire it such that a1 (bridge PU +) connect to a1 and also b2 and the Neck PU connect to a3 and also b2   then connect both to to a2 (b2 > a2) thus combine the bridge and neck PUs), then connect middle PU (which is stock) to b1 and b3 (which goes to a2) so the in between settings give B + Middle and Middle + neck;; but middle switch selection is b + n
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: Squier Strat upgade project
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

what's it look like and how old is it?

I saw weird lookin bullet strats from the late 80's and they didn't have the regular strat shape, they were closer to an SG believe it or not.

I read this and it hurt my head just trying to think about that

[/Of note the 5 way switch is (well new to me) a1 a2 a3 aout / bout b1 b2 b3 (note a1 = b1 but separate out etc) . So my idea (feedback welcome/encouraged BTW) is to have both neck and bridge PUs with individual volume control (series parallel push pull) and wire it such that a1 (bridge PU +) connect to a1 and also b2 and the Neck PU connect to a3 and also b2   then connect both to to a2 (b2 > a2) thus combine the bridge and neck PUs), then connect middle PU (which is stock) to b1 and b3 (which goes to a2) so the in between settings give B + Middle and Middle + neck;; but middle switch selection is b + nquote]

I've never had an individual volume in any of my setups.  Most I got for with a 5 way tone control for neck and middle and then a lone tone control for the bridge, sometimes different cap value depends how I feel.

For sustain get a big hunk of brass in there Richard, all adds up. Not sure the fitting of those Chinese bullets but GFS probably have a block that will fit.  Far as I know the Korean stuff is the same as the Mexican strats, so probably the same for the Chinese as well.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I had a lil' blue version of yours, mine was Indonesian I think. Whatever, the dang thing played very well, but like yours, sounded a bit dead. I replaced the PUs and electronics, but never upgraded the bridge or nut. My mistake, I may have kept it...too late, it's sold ;)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey RG (http://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/MedJpg/10002/0310001506_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg), it's in bits at the moment while I sort the electrics and I'm still waiting for the SD lil 59 to arrive.
Yeah hurt my head thinking it up, spent most of last night until early this morning coming up with that wiring scheme, I kept thinking, just go bog standard, why complicate it... but I want the middle position of the 5 way switch to be bridge + neck. If I ignore the middle PU it's easy but I just had to work out a way to use it (even though it's screwed down as low as possible to be out my way).
I'll post some pics when it's done.

Hey Dante, yeah it plays quite nicely (which is why I'm bothering with it, and I always wanted a black strat with white scratch plate). The bridge it came with is so chinsy so no sustain. The PUs seemed ok but then most things sound ok through the MP2. The hotrails and lil 59 will give it some grunt  >:D

DorsetRatt

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Of note the 5 way switch is (well new to me) a1 a2 a3 aout / bout b1 b2 b3 (note a1 = b1 but separate out etc) . So my idea (feedback welcome/encouraged BTW) is to have both neck and bridge PUs with individual volume control (series parallel push pull) and wire it such that a1 (bridge PU +) connect to a1 and also b2 and the Neck PU connect to a3 and also b2   then connect both to to a2 (b2 > a2) thus combine the bridge and neck PUs), then connect middle PU (which is stock) to b1 and b3 (which goes to a2) so the in between settings give B + Middle and Middle + neck;; but middle switch selection is b + n

Hey Richard, is this 5 way switch really gonna do what you want it to?

I've attached a diagram that uses a multipole 5 way switch, it allows you to connect your middle pickup to positions 2 and 4.
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey DR, after much mental gymnastics and quite a few pencil diagrams it comes close but not quite  :facepalm: , what I came up with requires the B and N +vs to be connected to the same lug (b2) which leaves the 2 PUs connected all the time regardless of switch position. I hadn't considered a "super switch", I didn't know they were available/existed, been a long time since I wired a strat. So thanks heaps for the diagram, I've ordered one (Dimarzio EP1112) as (as in diagram) it does exactly what I want  :thumb-up: .
I was trying to get the guitar finished for a Jam on Saturday night but the neck PU hasn't arrived yet  :facepalm: oh well, I'll use the Anderson  >:D .

The Anderson wiring is my fav, 3 x 3 pos mini toggles, down = series, middle = off, up = parallel for each PU, so you can have any combination, it also has another mini toggle (blower switch) which overrides the others and selects bridge in series. I considered this for the strat but it would look a little dodgy having 3 holes in the switch slot, or it's new scratch plate time...

DorsetRatt

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I figured there was some mental gymnastics going on ... just trying to save you a few brain cells :thumb-up:

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Appreciated  :thumb-up: :wave:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Update, I got the dimarzio super switch yesterday and now the tusc graphteck nut is in, it's pre slotted so I just need to file the string heights when it finally goes back together. Wilkinson trem is in as is new output jack.
But the little 59 I ordered for the neck still didn't come  :facepalm: Distributor is out of stock, so I cancelled the order. I'll ring some other Oz SD dealers to check if any of them has one, otherwise I'll order it online. Amazon won't ship SD to Australia, crap.. but I found one on Reverb.

So I can start to wire it up with the new switch.
Hey DR, I'm going to wire it the same as the diagram you posted except I'll do separate vol for B and N PUs and an overall tone.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

FYI: I haven't had to file a single Tusq nut string slot, but I have sanded down the bottom of a couple. One (on my goldtop) had to be sanded at an angle, which was fun.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

This one looks pretty close, I won't have to do much to it  ;)

DorsetRatt

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Good news on the super switch, they are very useful :thumb-up:
Hope it wasn't too expensive, and please don't send me the bill :facepalm:

Not so good about the neck pickup though ... did you have your heart set on the little 59? Would you consider better quality single coils for the middle and neck positions perhaps?

Aren't Kinman pickups based in Oz land? I haven't tried them yet, but their website is very informative. Really been getting into single coil tones lately (on the quacky 2 and 4 switch positions), I reckon it's my old age kicking in ;)

I've been considering a strat project myself, not sure whether to build one up from scratch or find a donor guitar that I can modify to suit my needs. There's a guy in the UK that does some really nice heavy relic guitars, I've got one of his telecasters that I'm pleased with, he's given me a quote for a similar relic idea with a strat ... I'm thinking about it :dunno:
« Last Edit: Time Format by DorsetRatt »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey DR, the switch cost $60, so not cheap but will do the job  :thumb-up: . I've got a little 59 on it's way from the US. I found a site called reverb.com which acts as a web shop front for sellers and buyers. They also offer some protection etc. The PU shipped from The Music Zoo, interesting store. I ordered it yesterday my time and it's already shipped, so very prompt service  :whoohoo!: , not sure how long it will take to get here.

I wasn't aware of Kinman PUs until very recently, and now I've read his bio. He started here, he's set up manufacturing in the Philippines now as cost in Oz are too high  :facepalm: . They look very good. Since I settled on the Ultrasonics years ago I haven't kept up with all the comings and goings in guitar and PU land.

It's good to have a project  :thumb-up:

DorsetRatt

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Lol ... I've been trying to avoid the Music Zoo website (due to temptation), so many nice high-end guitars on there, they were doing a run of carbonized natural finished charvels ... I almost talked myself into pressing the button :facepalm:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Hey DR, yeah had me drooling a bit when I checked their site out, some nice guitars over $9k USD  :facepalm: , makes me realise what a bargain I got on the JPLP which got reduced from $9k to $7 AUD. Still the most I've ever spent on a guitar. My Anderson was $3.5k but that was 30 years ago so in today's $s was $7.8k.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up