ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: parametric eq  (Read 41072 times)

Metropolis

Re: parametric eq
« Reply #45 on: Time Format »

Cool... I've been considering a Behringer 2496.  Let me know how that works out.
Custom Built Ibanez RG (2)
ADA MP1
Rane SP15 5 Band Parametric EQ
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962
Custom Built 2x12 Mesa Clone Cab V 30

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #46 on: Time Format »

Hey El, as SC says, each to their own with digital. Hey some (allot of) people listen to MP3 files (convenient but so lossy). But whatever floats your boat. From the basic physics and my ears I prefer to preserve the analogue signal chain.  And did some experiments with the TXC GMaj to validate my thinking. And got a second opinion, basically MikeB gave up quite a bit of flexibility and CC of GMaj to preserve the tone. But in the end, if it sounds good and how you want.... There is a discernible difference, but do you care ?? Is it that big a difference (well enough for me, my choice though  >:D ).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Metropolis

« Reply #47 on: Time Format »

Samson D 3500....is this something that is practical for use with the Mp1?
ADA MP1
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #48 on: Time Format »

Hey Metropolis, not really, it's designed to automatically suppress feedback in PA systems (front and foldback), I'm not sure how it would react to guitar feedback (the kind we like), it's designed to eliminate it.  For squeals you don't want e.g. at high gain it would suppress them I spose. Basically it's like a frequency sensitive compressor but seems a bit smarter than earlier versions of this idea where they compress the frequency you don't want, this seems to turn the eq for that frequency band down when it senses feedback and then restores your setting when the singer turns the mic back away from the speakers. It's a lazy mans way though (albeit a better idea than early feedback eliminators/suppressers). Good quality gear (mics/speakers/desk/amps) with good gain structure, plenty of power amp headroom and properly positioned will control feedback and get a better sound.

Metropolis

« Reply #49 on: Time Format »

I  believe this thing has 3 modes, one of which is a 15 band programable parametric with user definable freq, q, and gain.  The other 2 modes are the feedback surpressor thing.  If parametric mode is selected, the other 2 modes are not engaged.  I would be using only the 15 band parametric eq portion of the unit.  I know that 15 band is probably overkill for guitar but from what I understand,  you can defeat several band and use only as many as you wish,  basically making the unit a (up to) 15 band parametric with user definable filters.  Correct me if im wrong but thats what I gathered.  I can get one for 100.00 dollars.
ADA MP1
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #50 on: Time Format »

Hey if it can stay in eq mode, then for $100 is probably a good buy (for what your after). If it doesn't work out for guitar, there's plenty of other uses for it  :thumb-up:

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #51 on: Time Format »

For a pure analog EQ that is designed for guitar, nothing beats the SR&D Rockman.  With a half-rack design you can mount two of them side by side in a Rockman rack tray for stereo.  Plus they have foot switch controllable bypass if that is necessary.

Here's a shot from the Rockman.fr site of three of them:

« Last Edit: Time Format by GuitarBuilder »
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #52 on: Time Format »

The alesis micro EQ is also a good analog semi parametic eq.It has 3 bands and is only 1/3 19".I have one of these and they work very well for instrument use.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #53 on: Time Format »

The Rockman stuff is pretty awesome still have a XL100 sitting in a drawer, used to use it accross 2 Marshalls for lead.

Metropolis

« Reply #54 on: Time Format »

I spoke with the Samson tech guy on the phone just moments ago inquiring about the D3500.  I might as well have spoke with a zombie.   :???   That unit is not for me...and so my quest continues!
« Last Edit: Time Format by Metropolis »
ADA MP1
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #55 on: Time Format »

Another good one is the furman PQ-3,that is if you can find one for a decent price.These are really kickass EQ's.

RobbHell

« Reply #56 on: Time Format »

Furman are way over priced due to Pantera fans lol. The PQ,3,4,6 are nice for over driving the front end.Eq with lots of gain.

Presonus used to make a 3 band Parametric eq. Listen to any modern Exodus album...Gary runs those with Engl rigs and gets some pretty heavy tones.

I perfer RANE in my rigs.Their less noisy and cleaner than Furman.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #57 on: Time Format »

Hey Metropolis, the tone comes from a variety of places but primarily from your fingers. I've never had the need to use additional eq with either MP1/2, granted I use a couple of additional tweaks in the MP2 9 band graphic but nothing big. If you really want one (and there are shitloads to choose from), they all have a "sound", pick one you like the sound of that goes with your rig.  The really expensive eq's are typically very transparent. I've used lots of different brands over the years but in a PA context and I've been gob smacked by the difference in the way they sound (without climbing into the circuit and why they may be different). Again remember that graphic eqs for audio are mostly set at the ISO standard centre frequencies which suit full range audio. The guitar centric eqs' (like the boogie one SC suggested) have the centre freqs' set (as does MP2 9 band graphic) where it works best for guitar (so worth keeping in mind). IIRC RandallRG really liked his MXR 6 band eq (better in front of MP1 or in the FX loop as is mono but is analogue ), this is a guitar eq, made for guitar players. Do you really need more eq ?? Anyway your preference, my 2 cents worth.
Cheers R

Metropolis

« Reply #58 on: Time Format »

I got a bid in on a Rane SP15 five band mono  parametric.  Dont know if it will be necessary but it will still be a cool toy to play with. 
ADA MP1
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #59 on: Time Format »

Looks like a nice (and very usable/versatile) unit, you could run it in the MP1 loop and dial in any eq you want  :thumb-up: As RobbHell says, Rane are good eqs, hope your bid works out.
It looks like a line level device so wouldn't work so well between guitar and the MP1 input. And will be a cool toy to play with  >:D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up