ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from Chicagoland  (Read 4695 times)

mjfan123

Hello from Chicagoland
« on: Time Format »

Hello everyone, I"m a beginner level guitar player, from Lincolnwood, IL.

My current setup is Helix Native, as it allows me to keep the volume down. It sounds good, but I also wanted something analog and tube based to plug into.

I had no idea what the MP-1 was until last week. Someone nearby was selling one for $75! The price was so cheap that I was going to take a gamble and buy it. Unfortunately someone else had contacted the seller before me and grabbed it.

I started to research farther and realized that a lot of people love these things and rate them highly.

I then went on Ebay and purchased one for $250, not a bad deal ($75 would have been better, lol).

The unit is in pretty good shape considering it's 30 years old. Only has the usual rack rash.

I'm plugging the line out into my audio interface and it's working great. I'll probably keep this thing until it burns out.

I look forward to being part of this great community.

Thanks

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
Re: Hello from Chicagoland
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Welcome aboard fellow mid-westerner! :metal:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

WELCOME! Well, you stumbled onto some greatness there, man. Well done  :thumb-up:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey mjfan123, welcome to the depot  :thumb-up: :wave: , (I'm plugging the line out into my audio interface and it's working great. I'll probably keep this thing until it burns out.)Fantastic to hear  :whoohoo!: and idea though, try using a stereo 1/4" jack out of the headphone out into your interface (careful with levels, the HP out is a very hot signal). If you are using full range speakers (ie not guitar cabs with 12" speakers) it will sound a little better as the HP out has the top end reduced a little (like a cab simulator does) as MP1 main outs are designed for poweramp > 2 x 12/4 x 12 cabs (it was always a stage unit).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hi and ... welcome   ;D :thumb-up:

mjfan123

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey mjfan123, welcome to the depot  :thumb-up: :wave: , (I'm plugging the line out into my audio interface and it's working great. I'll probably keep this thing until it burns out.)Fantastic to hear  :whoohoo!: and idea though, try using a stereo 1/4" jack out of the headphone out into your interface (careful with levels, the HP out is a very hot signal). If you are using full range speakers (ie not guitar cabs with 12" speakers) it will sound a little better as the HP out has the top end reduced a little (like a cab simulator does) as MP1 main outs are designed for poweramp > 2 x 12/4 x 12 cabs (it was always a stage unit).

I am listening through Yamaha HS5 monitors.

The HP out works well. Thanks for the tip rnolan. I probably wouldn't have tried this without your suggestion.
« Last Edit: Time Format by mjfan123 »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

No worries  :thumb-up: , another approach (albeit cost $s) is to use a cab sim either after the MP1 (ideally a stereo cab sim like the new ADA GCS6 https://www.adaamps.com/Products/ada-GCS/GCS6.htm), or you can use a mono cab sim (eg ADA GCS3) in the MP1 Fx loop and then both outputs A/B are record friendly ready (with loop on/in).

mjfan123

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

The headphone pot is scratchy(out put has static) for the first 25% after that it works fine.

Not an issue now, but would contact cleaner help?

I'm sure it will need to be replaced sometime, I'll try it but need to practice my soldering skills some more. :-*

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Contact cleaner will help, even just give it a few spins (but clean and spin is better).  That pot doesn't get used much, just have to clean the crap (oxidation/carbon) off the tracks.  If that doesn't fix it, then a new pot is required (IIRC MJMP has the right ones available (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm).  It's a bit of a job though, IIRC you have to undo all the back panel connectors/jacks etc to disassemble.Easiest is take the lid off, give it a good spray with contact cleaner, clean anything else while you have the lid off (eg front vol pot, Fx loop pot, jacks)...  If you do go down the replacement route, it's probably worth replacing everything (as in jacks and pots) on the back panel as it all needs to be pulled apart anyway to do the HP pot.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Using contact cleaner will fix it for the moment but it will come back after a while. Also be carefull what you spray in there, some "contact cleaners" can eat the inside of the pot. And don't use WD-40!!
I use kontakt WL, 60 ,tuner 600 and 61 depending for what it's for.
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

bunkyloo

• Tones for days with my ADA's !
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Hey mjmp I have been using the CRC QD contact cleaner forever is that one safe its sold everywhere like home depot here in the states.If not any recommendations thanks steve

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

That seems to be fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up