ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MDRT connections  (Read 4228 times)

Aelfad

MDRT connections
« on: Time Format »

Guys, I need help.

I'm trying to bring my 3-Tube MP-1 back to life after the transformer fried. I just realized that the person who checked it for me desoldered wires and left them without marking so if I wanted to have it fixed, I have no way of knowing the right connections.

Could anyone help me identify which wires go where on the transformer?

The wires that are desoldered are as follows:
- two gray and purple from the 3-pin block
- blue-red, pink-gray, pink from the 6-pin block
- green-yellow - AFAIK this is ground, so it could be attached even to the chassis, right?

The pictures will follow in the next post (I have some problems with posting).

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
Re: MDRT connections
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hi!

MJMP will solve your problem in 2 seconds.
As soon as he will read...  :thumb-up:
On the run again!

Aelfad

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Sadly, I don't think so. :( Hence , my post here.
Was I wrong!
« Last Edit: Time Format by Aelfad »

Rusty

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hi there,

(I see your mains input wiring is UK colour coded.)

Your wiring colours are diffo4rent from mine, So yours goes like this, 

1, That green wire with the yellow stripe is ground/earth from your mains cord, it should be soldered to the star grounding point beside the main filter capacitors, see pic 0011.

2, The blue/red, solder back on to one of the 18v taps, the pink/grey back on to the other 18v tap and the pink in between them ( ;D) on the 0v tap marked CT.

3, (You said; "two gray and purple from the 3-pin block" NO ! One grey and one purple from a two pin block OK !

The grey and the purple solder back on to the other 0, and 240v transformer taps, purple to the 0 tap and grey to the 240v tap,  they feed the tube board with the HT voltage.

Thats the way it goes ok.

Tell me ?  what made your transformer fry, did it overheat or was it something else? I'm dying to know because I think that mine (xfrmr) gets way too hot after about an hour, and looking at your's it is quite dissapointing looking and has got me thinking.

Thanks, Rusty
« Last Edit: Time Format by Rusty »

Aelfad

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I see your mains input wiring is UK colour coded. Your wiring colours are diffo4rent from mine.

I forgot to write it's wired for 230 V, which may be important. Also, I remember reading in the manual that wires colors may change.

3, (You said; "two gray and purple from the 3-pin block" NO ! One grey and one purple from a two pin block OK!

Is it not just a 3-pin block with a middle pin not connected to any wire?

Tell me ?  what made your transformer fry, did it overheat or was it something else? I'm dying to know because I think that mine (xfrmr) gets way too hot after about an hour, and looking at your's it is quite disappointing looking and has got me thinking.

I don't have a slightest idea - it worked for a couple of years, then one day, MP-1 just stopped working and this funny frying smell appeared. There was no power cut or shortage. My BBE Sonic Maximizer or tube poweramp weren't affected in any way.

Mine transformer used to get hot as well so I have been thinking about installing a small computer fan or a radiator just above the MP-1 or screwing one right onto the chassis - I think there'll be enough space for this in my rack. If my poweramp has a built-in fan, why not add another to the MP-1?

Oh, and thank you very much for decoding my wires!

Rusty

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

OK,

My wiring directions are true.

Thats how they should be wired/soldered back up to the transformer !!!!!!!!

HOOK those wires back up as I said in my previous post.

Follow my instructions please from the previous post !!!!!!!

If you are confused,,,, I will help you !!!!!!    Keep in touch here sir !!

Rusty

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

I see your mains input wiring is UK colour coded. Your wiring colours are diffo4rent from mine.

I forgot to write it's wired for 230 V, which may be important. Also, I remember reading in the manual that wires colors may change.

3, (You said; "two gray and purple from the 3-pin block" NO ! One grey and one purple from a two pin block OK!

Is it not just a 3-pin block with a middle pin not connected to any wire?

Tell me ?  what made your transformer fry, did it overheat or was it something else? I'm dying to know because I think that mine (xfrmr) gets way too hot after about an hour, and looking at your's it is quite disappointing looking and has got me thinking.

I don't have a slightest idea - it worked for a couple of years, then one day, MP-1 just stopped working and this funny frying smell appeared. There was no power cut or shortage. My BBE Sonic Maximizer or tube poweramp weren't affected in any way.

Mine transformer used to get hot as well so I have been thinking about installing a small computer fan or a radiator just above the MP-1 or screwing one right onto the chassis - I think there'll be enough space for this in my rack. If my poweramp has a built-in fan, why not add another to the MP-1?

Oh, and thank you very much for decoding my wires!

Yea, You have a 3 pin block, I just had another look at your pics, we are only using the two outers tho',,,,,,,      mine is only a two block ! sorry about that.

treat it as a two block and forget about the center one,   purple 0v,  grey 240v

Thanks.     

Rusty

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hey, your right, I have discussed this before

http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=1982.0

And yes I am going to fit a small fan too after seeing yours, this problem needs to be addressed as I think there is not enough cooling here.

I will do up a complete write up on what needs to be done,  gimme a few weeks to do so ok.. This is a new MOD. 

Unless we can have a better MDRT transformer made that can handle the juice required for the 3TM !!!

Thank you for your post.

Rusty.
Pages: [1]   Go Up