ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alembic basses  (Read 34226 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Alembic basses
« Reply #60 on: Time Format »

Hey Tomy, Nice amps those GKs  :thumb-up: , portable but powerful  >:D

Hey Harley, I really like that stuff too, I'd forgotten how much until last night, and, as you say, you can really hear the roots of his playing.  First I heard was Heeps live album, friday night in birmingham LoL (I was probably 14 or so), but in Australia back then, only some stuff came here (it's still much the same but now there's the Interweb)  :amaze:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #61 on: Time Format »

So finally got to have a decent play of it tonight.  And Mike has his MDRT  >:D .  It's just beautiful to play and just the sound I wanted from a bass.
Hey Tomy, here's my first Alembic MB1 patch: It's just factory preset 14 - tube in 9, cont 0, OD Cln, Master 8.5, Mid -12 @ 380hz, Hi -6 (everything else is flat/off).
Bass is both PUs, vols around 3/4 ish and both Q switches on but filters off (up full). MB1 full range out into desk, add a little lite delay and reverb.

After Mike left I did some practice on my right hand technique.  Using 3 fingers and thumb, also some slapping, seems if I just relax and don't think about it it works, when I focus on it, not so well  :facepalm: .  Anyway early days but really enjoying it  :whoohoo!:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #62 on: Time Format »

So how do like the Alembic/MB-1 combo Rn ?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #63 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, awesome comes to mind  >:D . I need to flick through the other MB1 presets and try some of the ones Peter posted.  So far I just started at #1 got to #14 and liked it (it's a very simple patch) so have been using that.  The combination of Alembic and MB1 is just superb (and I haven't even scratched the surface of what it can do).  I haven't set up a live rig yet. I'll maybe do that today sometime.  Probably either B200s or TS100 bridged into my EV 3 way TL.  I had the TL's 15" driver re-coned not that long ago (expensive.. $400 but postage didn't help, it's a very heavy speaker).  Anyway that should sound pretty good. I've also got a pair of unused Altec 15's but they need a cabinet.
The MB1 I'm using has JJs in it (the other has the Marshall branded Chinese tubes).  I'll pick up a few pairs of Mullard Long Plates when I can afford it and see (hear) how they go. I also need to buy some racks (2RU, 4RU  :dunno: )  I like the new SKB Roto racks but they only come shallow or deep (so 27.48cm or 44.7).  The shallow isn't deep enough and the deep is too deep.  The older style ATA SKBs are perfect 40.48... My live MP2 rig is in a 8RU ATA SKB.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #64 on: Time Format »

Well it's easy to put them in with a sysex dump.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #65 on: Time Format »

I set up a live rig today and went through all the MB1 presets (quick flick through). I found #14, 23, 40 and 48 were good straight up. Lots of other sounds but nothing that grabbed me yet.  #48s a great patch for Pearl Jam - Jeremy so I had lots of fun with that.  I used the TS100 bridged into the EV, plenty of grunt for home  >:D . I fed it from a subgroup off the desk so it was easy to set up as MB1 was plugged into the desk already.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up