ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to take away EMI noise  (Read 3791 times)

El Chiguete

how to take away EMI noise
« on: Time Format »

I literaly hadn't notice this until the last couple of months but after I bought my interface to try home recordings I notice how there was allways noise on my signal and instead of just puting a noise gate I wanted to get rid of the noise from the begining instead of just having it lost on the background by the guitar playing being louder (but still the noise signal should be there). So after I checked all my wirings and shielding my guitars control cavities I think I have less normal noise but after that was that I lear what was EMI noise and how a simple way to see if you are picking it up would be to stand with the guitar vol up on and if you move 360 degrees and you get 2 spots where there is less or no noise (facing opposite directions 180 degrees) then what you are picking up is directional EMI noise!

My next step is to shield the pickup holes but I don't expect this to take away the noise, there should be another solution for this. Anyone has had this problem and got rid of it???
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: how to take away EMI noise
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

You are surrounded by RF noise, everything electronic is blurting out some. What you have to try to control is what and how much is being picked up by your guit PUs, one way to fix this is (and has always been) stand in the right spot (PU get less RF = radio frequency noise).  Humbucker (twin coil) pickups also help, 2nd coil wound our of phase so cancels hum. It can also be power problems/noise and you may need a mains filter ?
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

El Chiguete

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

But the power problems/nois is directional and spot specific too or is in your gear no matter where you are in the room?
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

RobbHell

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

When ever I have RF problems I wear an Aluminium Foil hat. Works every time lol.   Check out a simple product called Hum Eliminator. A friend has to use one when running his New Interface.
Pages: [1]   Go Up