ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: home recording studio setup  (Read 5219 times)

El Chiguete

home recording studio setup
« on: Time Format »

Ok guys so I want your advise one how to setup my home recording/video room for youtube videos. My main question is: would you guys place your cab in a separate room and use the monitors or headphones to hear your playing and the backing track or keep everything together? Im having a hard time deciding because I think that if I have the cab in a different room then I wont be able to play with the feedback interaction between the amp and the guitar correct?

BTW as I mentioned before Im not trying to get "perfect" studio recordings just good ones that show my real tone.
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Peter H. Boer

• 2* MB-1 1*MP-1 + Jur's old Mod4Mk2
    • The Granny Attic
Re: home recording studio setup
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

because I think that if I have the cab in a different room then I wont be able to play with the feedback interaction between the amp and the guitar correct?

Correct, but you can compensate by turning up the volume on your monitors on the places where you need it.

You can even physically connect your guitar to the monitor (simply resting your headstock against it) to have the same effect at a lower volume.

8)
Nothing beats MB-1s and MP-1s with MDRTs

http://www.thegrannyattic.com
http://www.Illumion.net
http://www.sote.nl

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey El, the main reason to have the cab in a separate room is to prevent/reduce spill from the backing track(s) into the guitar (or other) track. This is much more necessary when you use a sensitive condenser mic on the cab. With a 57 (which IIRC is what you generally use to mic your cab) you won't get as much spill as it's a dynamic quite directional stage mike designed to provide reasonable separation on stage etc. You could give it a try in the same room, make sure the mic is facing away from the monitors, the louder the monitors the more potential for spill (obviously) but given your not going for perfect "studio" separation it may well be adequate for what you want. Another option is to monitor with headphones (as you would for vocal overdubs etc.)

As Peter says, if you have the cab in a separate room and turn the monitor up loud enough, you'll get feedback. I hadn't thought of touching the monitor with the guitar, interesting idea.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

El Chiguete

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Yep I will go with a 57, now I have to buy my own 57 (the one I used on the demos the other day was borrowed from a friend) and a nice pair of closeback headphones to do tracking and checking the best mic placement real time with a recorded guitar loop.

BTW what headphones do you recomend for a budget of around $100 dollars?
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

In that pricerange I'd recommend the AKG K271....
Pages: [1]   Go Up