ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Conditioners  (Read 72389 times)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: Power Conditioners
« Reply #105 on: Time Format »

Ahhh.... a mental image begins to form... ;)

If you could make a comparison to the noise you are hearing presently, (where you are), to the noise you hear in the rehearsal room, are they similar?
   I'm seeing a lot of variables with what you describe in the rehearsal room, i.e. neon signs, refrigeration units, small appliances, house sound systems, dance floor lighting systems, and Juke boxes, or house music systems. With the businesses, there would be usually Flourescent lights, servers and network systems, possible an HVAC system in the building. In the automotive shops, there would be air compressors and maybe Halogen light stands, not to mention any electrical power tools and diagnostic units.
  If the circuit you are plugged into connects with any one or a combination of any of these things, this could be what is causing the noise you are hearing if you are on the same circuit. Keep in mind, that I'm just trying to consider the possible causes for your noise issues from across the pond here, because it reminds me of a similar and very weird situation I had once many years ago at one of the places my band was playing in.
  I was at a sound check at one of the pubs downtown and was using my smaller rack rig at the time which was the MP-1, MT100, Digitech DSP128, dbx Noise gates(2), S-1000, and Digitizer4, with a Dunlop Wah, and MXR Phase 90, and MC-1 controller and a couple of FS-2 switches on the floor, through an old Fender 2x12 cab with Altec Lansing speakers. As we started to sound check, I had this obnoxious low end buzz coming through my rig, that I just couldn't get rid of. I thought maybe something was going bad one of my units, since this is the same pub that a couple of years earlier, fried both of my dbx noise gates when I played there without a Furman power conditioner. (I've never played without the Furman since then).
  Let me give a brief description of this pub. Originally, it used to be a neighborhood beer garden as we call them here, located on the corner of this city block, that over the years, the owner bought out the next two buildings beside it, and knocked out the connecting walls to expand the pub. At his point in time, he only had the one building next to it, which was where the stage was situated at. As I walked from the stage to the part where the original pub was, I had my guitar still strapped on, ( I was using wireless at the time), I noticed the buzz got louder. I was going to call home and ask my GF at the time to run my stand by rig down to me, because I thought something else had fried in my rack. As I would get closer to the original horse shoe bar, that buzz would get VERY obnoxious! Keep in mind, these use to be two separate buildings that were later remodeled and joined together. I asked the owner if I could come behind the bar, and when I did, it got louder. I looked around at what I was next to, and behind me was a neon Miller Genuine Draught sign, plugged into the wall with a wall-wart AC adapter. I reached down and pulled the wall-wart out of the wall, and my rig went dead silent. I turned up the volume, and hit a chord, and it sang like it was just out of the box! The owner and I just looked at each other, completely amazed at how that affected my amp from across the pub. Naturally, we left that unplugged that night, and played a great show, and sounded totally wicked!!! :thumb-up:
   There is no way the two circuits should have seen each other, but somehow they did. I don't know if this is any kind of help with your current situation, but sometimes, the weirdest things that seem completely unlikely can actually be a problem. I believe it's possible, due to your particular gear set up, that you might be running across something similar to that situation. Being a guitar player, I never imagined I needed to be an electrician too, but having a fundamental knowledge of electrical wiring and household circuitry certainly doesn't hurt.
    It helps me to be observant of what's being used around me, and being aware of what else might be plugged into the circuit I'm connected to, to try and resolve noise issues without having to spend a ton of money on expensive gear. It sounds like your rig is sensitive to other things in the circuit just like my rack can be at times.

Harley 8)

I was typing this while you were posting all the sound clips. Definitely a bad ground loop is what I'm picking up from it.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Harley Hexxe »
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #106 on: Time Format »

So this seems to me it has got something to do with the power grid and ground loops, or a bad or no earth connection. From what you say the guitar does pick up stuff but also there's a nasty ground loop. Another possibility is a bad cable.

For safety reasons you should never detach the earth connection.

There definitely an earth connection.  I swapped the shit quality cable out for a better one, made no difference to noise.  I did this way at the beginning.  I just put my cable back the way it was after I tried this.

Surely the fact that disconnecting the earth on one device and the noise reducing like 70-80% proves its a ground loop?

Also I have just read this

"One solution is to isolate the physical ground connections between every audio device. For rack-mounted equipment you can use plastic isolation tabs such as Humfrees. These clever gadgets physically isolate the metal case of each device from the rack's metal rails, preventing the devices from touching each other. Another possibility is to buy ground lift adapters that disconnect the grounding pin from the power cord of each piece of equipment. However, one device must be grounded properly. In my studio I have ground lifters on everything except my main mixer. The entire system is grounded through the audio wire shields that connect to the mixer, but only the mixer is connected to the power line's ground through the third grounding pin of its power cord."

So will I not be safe so long as my Amp is earthed?

Harley, some of what you are saying is true, perhaps not all those appliances are running in the building, but lots of similar things are, but not always the same time I play, so perhaps the noise in the power varies from time to time.  Even though this might have something to do with the general noise, I still firmly think that there is an issue with the ground loop.  It was the last think I tried, a total whim!  I turned everything off, unplugged the preamp from the PC, unscrewed the plug, detached the earth, plugged it back in, powered everything up and BAM!  Reduced noise.  To make sure I was not going insane I reattached it and left it reattached, and I even recorded that too and guess what?  NOISE!  Reattaching the earth gave me noise!

Perhaps this explains why I bought an MP1 before that had the earth wire disconnected.

I still obviously do not want to take any risks so how can I safely eliminate an earth in my setup?
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #107 on: Time Format »

Generally, I think the first thing that is plugged into the wall would be the main thing I would be concerned about keeping the Earth ground on. In my case, that would be the Furman. I run everything off the Furman after that, ground lift or not, because I believe it and myself should be protected by the PC.
    I could be wrong about this, but so far, I've had good results.

Harley 8)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #108 on: Time Format »

Generally, I think the first thing that is plugged into the wall would be the main thing I would be concerned about keeping the Earth ground on. In my case, that would be the Furman. I run everything off the Furman after that, ground lift or not, because I believe it and myself should be protected by the PC.
    I could be wrong about this, but so far, I've had good results.

Harley 8)

As I was waiting on replies I came across something whilst searching for these "ground lift adapters".  Here is what I read 

oh and I have everything running through my power conditioner except the boss GT5, although I tried it through the PC as well last Saturday.

"A DI box is a very handy thing to have. By using a transformer in the signal path, there is now no direct electrical signal path from the input to the output and can therefore be a great way of eliminating ground loops. Many also have a ground lift switch to uncouple the audio earth from the electrical earth.

What you must never, ever do -ever- is remove the electrical earth from any of your equipment, power supplies or plugs. That would be a very, very silly thing to do.
"

And I have a good DI box that has a ground lift, perhaps if I put this in the effects loop of the boss gt5 and have the output of the preamp run through it before it hits the boss return I can lift the ground???  Just guessing here.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #109 on: Time Format »

I read that one too.

Are you using the DI with your guitar amp? If so, does it help with the noise there?
You could try it in the effects loop, but it may cut your signal out of the return too much. Possibly between the MP-1 and the loop?

I'm not really sure because I've never used a DI in this manner.

Harley 8)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #110 on: Time Format »

No neither of I I'm just going by what it suggests you can use DI for in that article
http://blog.reddogmusic.co.uk/2013/06/21/getting-rid-of-that-ground-loop-its-about-humming-time/

I think that means it acts in the same principal as those hum elimination devices such as these

http://shop.clubtek.co.uk/images/products/products-from-easify/sound-equipment/Alctron%20hum%20eliminator%20AL6100l.jpg

Dammit my DI doesn't have a 1/4" jack out put, only an XLR which means I couldn't connect in the way I suggested, perhaps I should look out for once that has ground lift and an unbalanced output.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #111 on: Time Format »

I believe all DI boxes will have balanced outputs because they are designed to go directly into a PA channel strip.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #112 on: Time Format »

yup I know, but some have both kinds of outputs (and not just a direct link output either)

and as we've both read they can be used to solve ground loop issues or so it said in that article.  I only contemplated using one as I have one here that has ground lift function so I figured I could it to good use since I don't need any unbalanced signals converted to balanced

this one has a Hi Z and Lo Z output and ground lift
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-channel-DI-Box-with-mono-stereo-Switch/371594704534?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3D421b326570d14f02b78381b74abe8bd4%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D11%26rkt%3D20%26sd%3D251901950762
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #113 on: Time Format »

Yes, I think I might have seen something like that a log time ago, but I believe the 1/4" output is also a balanced out, (TRS).  The ground lift should work on that too.
I've never used DI's like that because I've had Microcabs for that application whenever I needed to go direct. (No ground lift on those  :( ).

Harley 8)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #114 on: Time Format »

And you have to make sure that the DI box has a transformer inside, you also have transformer less DI boxes.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #115 on: Time Format »

I believe all DI boxes will have balanced outputs because they are designed to go directly into a PA channel strip.
One of the main reasons for balanced out on a DI box is to lower the impedance to 600ohms so the signal can go the distance from stage box to FOH via the multicore (snake) without loosing too much top end but also to keep RF noise down (particularly for inst level signals).
Sorry to come in late on this, I haven't read it all yet, will try to over the weekend and add anything I can think of.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #116 on: Time Format »

Yep and this might raise another problem, since the impedance has changed so will the voltages. So what you actually need is a 1 on 1 transformer.
This looks good  http://www.zzounds.com/item--EBTHE2PKG

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #117 on: Time Format »

Well I already mentioned a similar device earlier.  And its a two transformers.   I used to own one also but I sold it as I had no need for it then.  Luckily I won one this weekend for £4.27p. Lol. See this

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EBTHE2PKG

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #118 on: Time Format »

Well that's cheap  :thumb-up:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #119 on: Time Format »

Yeah man it was, I saw a couple on ebay and figured if I keep an eye on one of these and get it cheap then I'm taking a very cheap gamble if say it doesn't work out.

Everything I have read say's there are two passive transformers inside.  I have also read about that very, very expensive ebtech hum eliminator you posted  a link too MJMP.

So now I'm just left with the question, at what place in my chain do I put such a device?  On the outputs of my GT5 then through the Clean box II and into the amp inputs?

Second question?  How come none of you guys need one of these devices?  Please explain as I feel a little like something I'm doing is wrong if I need another box to place in my signal chain.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Up