Non ADA Gear > Speakers & Cabinets

Two 1x12s or One 2x12?

(1/4) > >>

Dante:
Wow, if you wanna see some people bickering online, just do a search for Two 1x12s vs One 2x12 and you'll get people ready to fight  :o

Whatever, I'm hoping I get a slightly larger sound from one 2x12 cab. I've been using two 1x12s for a few years now, I'm used to it. When I take the 2x12 to practice, I'll be able to tell. I even put the same exact two speakers in the 2x12 that I've been running in my 1x12s. I switched out one if the 1x12 speakers with my trusty EV Force.

My theory is two people yelling in the same room would be louder than two people yelling in separate rooms, mixed together  :dunno:  I don't know if it'll work, but I don't wanna fight about it ;)

rnolan:
Hey Dante, you'll get some interaction in the box with the 2 speakers in it and the additional box cubic volume should help the bass.  But hey, you'll hear if you like it.

Harley Hexxe:

--- Quote from: rnolan on April 09, 2024, 07:23:46 AM ---Hey Dante, you'll get some interaction in the box with the 2 speakers in it and the additional box cubic volume should help the bass.  But hey, you'll hear if you like it.

--- End quote ---

What he said  8)

Dante:
So...had practice last night with the new cab. I had it kinda low, just sitting on a 4-wheel dolly, but I was 10-15 feet away, so it was hitting me.

How did it sound? Pretty dang close to the two 1x12s actually. I think a bit more sound is coming out the open back due to the tandem speakers moving around in there, but the tone itself is surprisingly similar. Go figure...of course, I used the exact same two speakers  (Eminence 1218 legend and WGS G12C/S), which are both v30 knockoffs with a smoother top end than the brittle top of real v30s.

Yamaha uses a combination of the Legend 1218 and a Tonker in their 2x12 cab. I may consider a Tonker later

The dang cab fits absolutely PERFECTLY in the back of my little Ford Fiesta, so I guess I gotta keep it ;) I put the cab, my pedalboard, amp head and backpack full of mics/cords in the back and just used the entire back seat for 4 guitars. I'll get a pic of how nicely it all fits back there.

All in all, it's heavy, but not terrible...the H&K Grandmeister fits perfectly on top when you flip the cab vertically (gotta put some feet on that side...hence, the dolly). I'm happy I didn't have to tweak anything, I'd hate to have a bank of patches for each set of speakers. Here's a couple quick pix of the cab sitting on another cab and the back before I wired it up

rnolan:
Very cool  >:D O0 :thumb-up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version