ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Control Pedal for MP1  (Read 14291 times)

DrDckhol3

Control Pedal for MP1
« on: Time Format »

I'm looking for advice on foot controllers for the MP1. Anyone have any suggestions?

kawai2g4b

Re: Control Pedal for MP1
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Maybe the ovbious answer, but the ADA MC1, MPC, and MXC controllers work very well, just your simple bank and preset shifting that matches what the MP-1 needs.  Plus, most of these will pop up for around $45 average on ebay last I checked.  I have not had any issues with my MPC and MXC.  If you get those, then you can get the 7-pin phantom power midi cable and run it between the MP-1 and ADA brand foot controller and just plug an adapter into the MP-1 phantom power outlet to power the controller.  Hope that helps
Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

DrDckhol3

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

That is simple enough...will these send midi signals to effects processors for changes? I read somewhere that these pedals weren't actually midi. I think it was for a cable that Hosa makes for the MP1 to connect the controller. It was on thE Bay.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Yes those pedals are midi pedals,so you can use them on other fx that have midi.

DrDckhol3

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

That is simple enough...will these send midi signals to effects processors for changes? I read somewhere that these pedals weren't actually midi. I think it was for a cable that Hosa makes for the MP1 to connect the controller. It was on thE Bay.

I can't seem to find the phantom power cable you mentioned.  :poop: I did find a 5 to 7 but that won't work. Do you have a link or can you point me in the right direction?
« Last Edit: Time Format by DrDckhol3 »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

do a search for hosa 7 pin midi cable.Alot of hits.

DrDckhol3

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I did, but didn't find one with a phantom power connector for the pedal. Did I misinterpret Kawai's post? I read it a few times and I got that there was a midi cable that also had a power cable that powers the footswitch.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Well the power is send through the midi cable (the extra 2 pins).Now instead of plugging a wall adaptor in the midi pedal you need to plug it into the back of the MP-1.There is a connector called "phantom power",it's near the midi connections.

The voltage aplied to the phantom power plug is routed inside the mp-1 to the 2 extra pins on the midi in connector.

I hope it's more clear now?It's also explained in the MP-1 manual.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

The ADA MC1 is fairly simple and just (mostly) sends MIDI program change signals (also is quite wide) and gives access to 10 programs (Bank up, Bank down and 0 - 9 buttons all in a row) without changing banks.
ADA pre-amps go from 1 to 128 while many rack effects go from 0 to 127, a bit confusing at first (ie you send change to patch 20 from the pedal, ADA goes to 20, Quadverb goes to 19 etc).  Both MP1 and MP2 have quite versatile MIDI program tables (eg MP1 receives patch 50 from the pedal MP1 goes to whatever you set it to in the change table and can also be set to send any other number to its MIDI out).
The ADA MXC is a continuous MIDI controller and can send real time MIDI change signals as well as program changes.  It's also half the width of the MC1 (2 rows of buttons one above the other).  It came with a pedal pack, typically one expression pedal and one quad switch (it has inputs for 2 pedals and 2 quad switches).  The pedal(s) and quad switches can be assigned to MIDI controller numbers and used to control various parameters in the MP2 and other real time capable MIDI devices. (eg I set the pedal to control the stereo vol (master vol) of my MP2 but it could also be used say to control the delay time of an effect device (or any other parameter that can be controlled)) The quad switch sends MIDI on off changes (either momentary (while you press the button) or latched stays on or off).
My band colleague bought a Behringer continuous control pedal which has 2 expression pedals built in (~ $180 AUD new).  He uses it with his MP1 (program changes) and the expression pedals control parameters in his TC G Major.  Seems a good pedal with lots of programmable options but needs a mains power cable (IEC (jug) lead) run to it (he got a long power cable and cable tied it together with a 5 pin MIDI lead).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

DrDckhol3

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

So the MXC will control other midi devices but the MC1 won't, correct? That is what I'm looking for I don't want a piece of plywood sitting on the floor in front of me.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

No,the MC-1 can also control other devices,but it can only do midi program changes,the MXC cand do both midi program changes and midi control changes.

With program changes you can change presets and control changes can alter parameters in a preset like volume,delay mix etc,actually any parameter.Now the MP-1 and MP-1 classic can only recieve program changes,only the MB-1 (with rev 2 eprom) and MP-2 can recieve control changes.

Usually all midi effect processors can handle program and control changes.

BrokeDownSouth

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Maybe the ovbious answer, but the ADA MC1, MPC, and MXC controllers work very well, just your simple bank and preset shifting that matches what the MP-1 needs.  Plus, most of these will pop up for around $45 average on ebay last I checked.  I have not had any issues with my MPC and MXC.  If you get those, then you can get the 7-pin phantom power midi cable and run it between the MP-1 and ADA brand foot controller and just plug an adapter into the MP-1 phantom power outlet to power the controller.  Hope that helps

What size 9V adapter fits the Phantom power in on ADA gear? The center pin of a 2.1mm Boss adapter is too small, that's all I have right now.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Not sure of the size, I bought an adapter that had multiple connectors and one of them was the right size.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

odeonmaxx

• OdeonMax Music
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

120-035   9 VDC 500MA AC ADAPTER
120-086   2.5MM X 5.5MM PLUG FOR AC ADAPTER

http://www.parts-express.com/

ADA MP-1 - MosValve - Carvin 2x12

odeonmaxx

• OdeonMax Music
Control Pedal for MP1
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Has anyone tried the Randall RF8 midi switch? Seems it might work well. And has phantom power.

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/th_product/rf8/

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

ADA MP-1 - MosValve - Carvin 2x12
Pages: [1]   Go Up