ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with MC-1  (Read 5773 times)

Wimbish

Help with MC-1
« on: Time Format »

Hi all,

the MC-1 MIDI controller is not "finding" neither the MB-1 nor the MP-1.

the plan:
as a bass player I use the wonderful MB-1 (with updates by Marshall) as my preamp together with an unmodified MP-1 as an effect unit - this gives me some excellent distortion and chorus sounds.
I want to control the MP-1 with my old MC-1.

The problem:
The MC-1 is connected via a 7-pin cable to the rear of MP-1 (or MB-1 with same result) plus a power supply at the back of the MP-1. The MC-1 gets power. So everything fine here... However, the preamps are not reacting to any program changes with the MC-1.
I set the MP1 MIDI channel to either "all" or 16 and the MC-1 channels set to 1111 (all up!). No result.
The MC-1 display always goes to "01" when disconnecting the Phantom power and connecting it again (like it is supposed to do).
I just cannot get any changes of the program of the preamp with that MC-1.
That same MC-1 has been checked by a music store technician, by the way.

Solutions:
I will order a new MIDI controller (suggestions?) in order to try if that feature is working at all with both preamps. But it is strange that both preamps are not working.

Is there anything else I should check or that I could do?!
Thanks for your support in advance.

Ray

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: Help with MC-1
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Well what you can try is hook up the MP-1 midi out to the MB-1 midi in and change the preset by hand on the mp-1, normally the mp-1 sends out a program change if you change the preset. This way you try to test if the midi in of the MB-1 works. Vice versa should also work although I'm not 100% sure the MB-1 sends out program changes on the midi out, but I guess it does.

Another possibility is using a soundcard that has a midi in (or a usb to midi cable) and using bome sendsx, hookup the MC-1 to the midi in and this way you can see if the MC-1 is sending out midi commands.

https://www.bome.com/products/sendsx

So when you push a button you should have to see 2 bytes of data coming in. Let's say you send preset 1 on channel 16 then you should see
CF 00
C is program change in hex
F is the channel number in hex (F=15 but you need to add 1 to it)
00 is preset one also in hex (it's actually 0 but most midi devices add 1 to the preset nr)

So the MC-1 is sending out 1100 1111 0000 0000 bit wise and this is what actually comes out of it.

Another one, let's say preset 12 on channel 2
C1 0B or 1100 0001 0000 1011

Now on the other hand you can also use bome sendsx to transmit midi, hookup the midi out of your midi device to the midi in of either the mp-1/mb-1 and type a program change into the midi out box.
Let's say C0 00 this will send preset 1 on midi channel 1.

It works great for checking midi in and out's on midi devices.

Wimbish

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Thanks Marshall.
I will try connecting the MP1 to the MB1. The music store technician told me, that he had ckecked the MC-1 with a software on his PC. But I didn't see this myself, so I am not sure about his work...

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Ok let me know how that goes

BTW did you got my email?

Wimbish

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hi, yes I have been busy the past days. But today I could check the devices with an Tech21 Midi Mouse... and voila it is working.
The MC-1 is back at with themisc store technician, who will check it again. But for now I am set.

Now I am wondering, if I should insert the MP-1 into the MB-1 via send/return or how to do it. The MP1 should simply function as an effects unit (distortion, overdrive, chorus..)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I would put the mp-1 parallel with the MB-1, this way you still have the low end of the bass and the mids/ highs from the mp-1 (with distortion).Maybe use a small rack mixer for this?

So both MP-1 and MB-1 are switching with the tech 21?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I agree with MJMP, run the units in parallel if you can. but you could try the MP-1 in the MB-1 loop (you'd loose stereo of MP-1 though) or the MB-1 in the MP-1 loop (and keep stereo  :thumb-up: ),an interesting option though.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Wimbish

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

In parallel!? You mean the MB1 in one amp, and the MP1 into a second amp?
That sounds awesome.

I will try both versions: send/return and that stereo version.

My plan was to have just one sound with the MB1 (one of the Ampeg-presets) and vary the sounds with the MP1 (increasing mids for tapping, adding Primus-like distortion...)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

There's a few ways you could patch it:
-Simple - Mp-1 in MB-1 loop, MB-1 send 1 > MP-1, MP-1 A > MB-1 Return 1 MP-1 B > MB-1 return 2.
- Better  :dunno: but you loose half the MP-1 signal ie chan B) - MP-1 in MB-1 loop, MB-1 send 1 > MP-1, MP-1 A > MB-1 Return 1, MB-1 send 2 (use short patch lead) > MB-1 return 2 (this maintains the MB-1 signal and lets you mix in the MP-1 on send 1 IIRC this is the way Peter uses his to get a parallel loop as both MB-1 loops are series (device is "inserted" into the signal path)
- Best - User a small mixer Split the bass signal between MP-1 and MB-1 (Y lead or a/b a+b box), MB-1 > mixer chan 1, MP-1 A/B > mixer chan 2 & 3 (panned hard L and R), mixer L/R > stereo power amp  > 2 x cabs (this is the way I ran it with my MP-2 and I used the mixer send returns for Fx unit(s) and blended it all together, also my Alembic uses a stereo jack out so neck PU goes to L chan, bridge PU to R chan; I made a stereo jack to L/R mono jacks lead, neck PU (L) into MB-1 bridge PU R into MP-2, added a little stereo rev and delay with the mixer Fx send/returns, also I used the MP-2 cab sim outs as I ran it into Messa P112 cabs which have a tweeter)

Wimbish

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Wow, this gives me a lot of options for my next rehearsal.
Thank you  :thumb-up:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

No worries  :wave: , just the first options that I thought of, let us know which one(s) your try and how it goes  :thumb-up:

Wimbish

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

The MC-1 has been repaired: one of the condensators had to be replaced. And only MIDI-channel 1 is working. It is operating now. I checked it directly with the MP1 and my bass. Wow, that gives an aggressive sound there.

Tonight I will test MP1/MB1 in the mix.

Thanks for all  :headbanger:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Great news my friend  :thumb-up: :whoohoo!:
Pages: [1]   Go Up