ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Troubleshooting hum and weird microphonics  (Read 5356 times)

DesmoBob

I made a custom pedal board. I have a 1/4" input jack for the guitar on the right side. The jack is connected via patch cable to the first pedal in the chain.

If I plug my guitar directly into the first pedal in the chain (i.e., bypass the jack on the side), all is well.

However, whenever I use the jack, the patch cable goes loudly microphonic, as do all the other patch cables between the pedals. There is also a loud hum. Do I need to put a filter on the jack? Is the jack itself functioning as some kind of bad buffer? Or is this a symptom of some other problem?

Originally, I had the input jack, plus a wireless receiver. Using a DPDT rocker switch, I could choose which signal (jack or receiver) I could feed into the first pedal. However, any time I switched to the jack input, I got the loud cable microphonics and hum. For now, to make it simple, I completely removed the switch & receiver from the circuit. The point I'm at now is just trying to get the jack to play nicely, period.
« Last Edit: Time Format by DesmoBob »

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
Re: Troubleshooting hum and weird microphonics
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I guess the jack is the problem/issue....some grounding or other probably.
For your application I highly recommend these:
http://www.neutrik.com/en/audio/plugs-and-jacks/locking-1/4-chassis-jacks/nj3fp6p-bag

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I'm with SC here, that jack seems to have issues, replace it, make sure you have good "shielded" connection to the first pedal (or just plug straight into the first pedal (for now  >:D )
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

DesmoBob

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I was able to source the NJ3PF6C, but not the NJ3PF6P (metal housing as opposed to plastic housing). Do you think it would matter?

(Currently I'm using a switchcraft jack.)

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

The metal one will do just fine..I personally prefer the plastic housing ones for pedalboard/patchbay/rack installation though....

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey SC, do the plastic ones earth to the case ? if not (which is what I suspect) it reduces the possibility of ground loop isses and so would definitely be better, but depends on how you are setting up your pedal board ground plane (there maybe some scenarios where you want everything to earth to the case ?).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up