ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good cab matches for MB-1 into B500B rig  (Read 10579 times)

kawai2g4b

Hey again guys,

As I have mentioned already I purchased an MB-1 recently that had some maintenance issues.  Well, those are about to be taken care of so the next step for me would be to match up a cabinet(s).  Right now my setup is optimized for either my Hartke 3500 or my Music Man HD130 head.  Both of those amps are VERY different from one another and the MB-1 should cover both grounds.  Does anybody have any suggestions for good cabs that mate well with it?
Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Good cab matches for MB-1 into B500B rig
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I recon a pair of older EV 15" TL boxes would work well (although no tweeter).  The 15s are 400w 8 ohm which will probably match well with the B500.  They are heavy boxes though.  Peter will know better than me I imagine being an avid MB1 user.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

kawai2g4b

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Ah, you have pointed out my hidden agenda!   ;D  I have an old ported Music Man 1X15 cab with no speaker in it so it may be time to load it with a good 15", I'll be checking the MM forums for suggestions for that.  The big thing is I have a more modern bass style a'la Primus/Spin Doctors so a good 2X10 with strong attack would be preferred.  That is if I decide to reload the MM cab.

I trust you on the EV recommendation.  I used an old EV 2X15 cabinet at one time.  It sounded great but could not fit in the smaller vehicle that I ended up buying.  I'll spy on Craigslist for a good one.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

I have a EV 3 way TL PA box which I recently had the 15 re coned, great box I've used it for 25 years or so (then drummer fried the 15, thanks NOT), cost heaps $400 AUD to recone but now sounds great again, the EV 15s are very good speakers.  Are you going to run stereo ? which is why I thought 2 EV TLs would be good.  Size is always an issue, I used to mix this band where the bass player had a bass box from a cinema, could only use it when they took out the truck.  A stereo 4 x 10 box may be a good option.  Or in mono, maybe go for the MM box reloaded (Altec 15 or EV 15 or JBL 15 probably all work well) and a 2 x 10 box on top, boogie used to do a 2 x 10 with a bullet tweeter.

kawai2g4b

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Considering cost, reloading the MM is my best bet at this point.  I normally use a Carvin Red Line 4X10, not the greatest thing ever invented but it works well.  The only issue is that the cab doesn't handle anything passably below drop D.  Since I have 2 6 string basses, I need the range.  I need to keep an eye out for the Boogies, though I never see them pop up locally, seems most people around here keep theirs.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Peter H. Boer

• 2* MB-1 1*MP-1 + Jur's old Mod4Mk2
    • The Granny Attic
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I haven't used cabs in over 10 years, going direct from the MB-1 direct out to the mixing board and back to my in-ears.

When using cabs I used homebuild cabinets with Celestion speakers (one 2*10 cab + one 1*18 cab) or a homemade cab with a 15"Black Widow speaker.
Nothing beats MB-1s and MP-1s with MDRTs

http://www.thegrannyattic.com
http://www.Illumion.net
http://www.sote.nl

kawai2g4b

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Old thread, yes.  But Closure is better than none at all.  I just got the MB-1 back from repair (battery replacement, cleaning, new tubes, etc.) and mated it up to my B500S, everything works like I had hoped.  As for the speakers, I am keeping by Carvin Red Eye 4X10 and mating it with the McCauley 15" cab that I bought.  This setup really works well though I am going to eventually swap the Carvin for a 2X10 of some type to cut down on rig size.  My car can handle the space at the moment so i'm in no hurry to do that at the moment.  Thanks for the advice again guys.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Cool, Mmm MB1/B500s, 2 x 10 sounds like a good choice for the future, a good balance IMHO

BrokeDownSouth

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Old thread, yes.  But Closure is better than none at all.  I just got the MB-1 back from repair (battery replacement, cleaning, new tubes, etc.) and mated it up to my B500S, everything works like I had hoped.  As for the speakers, I am keeping by Carvin Red Eye 4X10 and mating it with the McCauley 15" cab that I bought.  This setup really works well though I am going to eventually swap the Carvin for a 2X10 of some type to cut down on rig size.  My car can handle the space at the moment so i'm in no hurry to do that at the moment.  Thanks for the advice again guys.

Bag End D10BX-D.... Great 2x10".

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Maybe WickerMan would build you a 2 x 10" (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=409.0)  >:D

kawai2g4b

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

>:D Indeed!  I may check into that idea in the near future!  Nothing like a unique custom wood-finished cabinet to fill out a space in my rig.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

John Mac

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Bit late on my reply but I prefer 15s and 12s over 15s and 10s.

I bought a lot of 12s from an electronics wholesaler almost 20 yeas ago to make mids for 3 way PA systems (about 200wRMS each) with good efficiency.
Lobbed a pair in some sealed boxes (about 60L boxes) and cross over at about 200Hz. Very crisp tops and huge depth (using 2 x TL bins and 2 of these mids)

The 12s pick up the mids at the low end a lot better than the 10s and I have had trouble finding efficient 10s as well.
Practice rig: whichever bass i grab first -> MB1 -> mixer -> EPX3000 -> Realistic Mach 1 Hifi speaker with JBL K150
Live rig: bass as above -> Shure PGX -> MB1 -> EPX30000 -> 2x TL bins + 2x Fane angled 2x12 mids crossed over at 250

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

I like your thinking John Mac, and tend to agree, although the world seems awash with 10"s these days.

Alex Harden

• Alex's Homepage
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

I've had success with my MB-1/B500B feeding into an Avatar B210 Neo cab.  If I ever decide to bi-amp, I'll probably add a 2x12 or 4x10.  I don't gig a lot right now and I almost always run a DI to house; the B210 has been more than enough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up