ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hand-held scope or laptop/phone kit  (Read 2184 times)

vansinn

Hand-held scope or laptop/phone kit
« on: Time Format »

I need either an affordable [used] hand-held scope or a laptop/phone scope front-end [DIY] kit.
Load me up! folks

bunkyloo

• Tones for days with my ADA's !
Re: Hand-held scope or laptop/phone kit
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

This model I found on amazon. Hantek2D42 Handheld Oscilloscope 40MHz Waveform Generator Multimeter 3 in 1 Multifunction Tester 2CH+AFG+DMM . I bought cheaper laptop models and the software seemed really flaky to me plus it is a multi meter as well with a variety of test probes and I won't need to grab my work meters (HVAC) from my van anymore.
That is the top tier model they do have two more less expensive models. Hope that helps.

Rusty

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I need either an affordable [used] hand-held scope or a laptop/phone scope front-end [DIY] kit.
Load me up! folks

Depending on your needs and what you are going to use it for, the software PC ones and USB cheapo hand held ones plus those China kits are a little cheesy and belong in the Toys R Us and alike stores.

I'm saying that because I have used the software ones that the colleges and universities use for educational purposes. In the real world, any purpose built stand alone scope is much better all round.

It depends on what type of application you need one for without wasting bucks on something that is not up for the job.

I don't mean to sound rude, just saying ok.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Rusty »

vansinn

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

It's mostly for work on analog circuitry with old-school cpu's or modern controllers.
Later, for some work on DSP hardware with a dedicated control processor.
Most DSP's I reckon runs at 20-500 mHz; the latter mostly in fairly recent designs.

The Hantek one sounds decent for my purpose, except for some digital applications.
However, I could find some device specifically for the digital stuff when I get to there.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I'm with Rusty on this, best is to get a real scope, rigol has some cheap scopes that are far better then those cheap handheld scopes they sell.

For 300 euro new (and I'm sure you can find them second hand) you get this
https://www.batronix.com/shop/oscilloscopes/Rigol-DS1052E.html

The thing is more bang for your buck and these scopes are not so big and heavy.

There are better scopes but more expensive. For DSP you are going to need something way more expensive anyway.

Rusty

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

It's mostly for work on analog circuitry with old-school cpu's or modern controllers.
Later, for some work on DSP hardware with a dedicated control processor.
Most DSP's I reckon runs at 20-500 mHz; the latter mostly in fairly recent designs.

The Hantek one sounds decent for my purpose, except for some digital applications.
However, I could find some device specifically for the digital stuff when I get to there.

If you are looking to scope @ up to 500MHz, then expect to pay out plenty of bucks.
Those cheap software scopes won't get you anywhere near that frequency with decent accuracy.

I think from your post is what you might need is called a frequency counter, if your into clock speed, ? not a scope ?

I could be wrong though, sorry.

Plus,, MJMP has some great advice too  !!   and yes, I own a cheap Rigol (DS1052E hacked to 100MHz), a great piece of kit for the money, I also have my old Tektronix 465B, also 100MHz, those were about 8 or 9 grand when they first came out, I bought mine 20 years later.

Scopes fall into three expense categories,

1, Cheap
2, My wife has just handed me the divorce papers.
3, You have won the Euro millions lotto.

:)

Rusty.

vansinn

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Well, hadn't followed price development for years..
That Rigol looks fine on price, performance and dimensions - I don't have space for an old-school scope.

And you're correct WRT not needing a traditional scope for DSP; just 'something' to see signals, not necessarily their exact wave forms.  That can be had later as I get to it.

Rusty

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Unless you already know about these things, I would just like to add;

If you do decide to get a bench scope, then you should seriously consider getting a 1:1 isolation transformer, one that is capable of providing enough VA for the devices you wish to test.

Reasons why;

To protect your self, your device under test and your scope.

When probing without an isolation transformer, your scope probe ground clip must be connected to ground/earth, usually the chassis or the incoming mains ground terminal.

Bench scopes are not like multimeters where you can simply put your two probes anywhere on the circuit to measure voltages. The ground clip of a bench scope probe is directly connected to mains/ground earth. It will create a ground loop if it's connected to a point on the circuit board under test and immediately blow something up.     :'(

With the device under test plugged into an isolation transformer then you have eliminated this possibility and you can connect your ground clip to almost anywhere you want on the circuit as your device under test is now what’s called floating.

Also, don’t plug the scope into the isolation transformer, that’s not good, that’s for advanced experienced users. Thats floating the scope,    :o

If you do decide to get an isolation transformer and you are using more than one scope probe to look at things, then you can still connect your probe ground clips anywhere, but, the ground clips must all be connected to the exact same point on the circuit, otherwise you will create another type of ground loop and again blow something up.    :'(

That’s just some electrical safety scoping advice I would like to share with you.

Many of those DSP devices can cost a fortune and are easily destroyed in milli seconds with a wrong hook up of a scope probe and ground clip. Easily done! and a nightmare to repair if they even can be, so, take that into consideration.

If your possibly going to be scoping valve amps and alike at some stage in the future, then there are some extra safety issues and tips & tricks that I could share on a new thread if so.
There are proper ways and means to scope on those high voltage pieces of equipment. It’s quite simple when you use the correct techniques.

Ok that’s enough rambling on from me.

Check out this excellent youtube video by Dave Jones from eevblog for more great info on scoping do’s and dont’s, he’s quite a character genius from Australia.   :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaELqAo4kkQ

Ok van Sinn, I hope that’s of any use to you,

Happy scoping,     :thumb-up:

Rusty.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hey Van, maybe this could also be interesting for you?

https://www.batronix.com/shop/oscilloscopes/LabNation-Smartscope.html

vansinn

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

@MJMP: Say, that's a nice'n'compact [batronix] measurement package; just what the doctor ordered..
@Rusty: thanks for tips.  I knew I should've kept that vario thingy.
Hehe, having education in electronics but quite far back, reminders are always a good thing :)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Yeah nice for what it is, and it also has a waveform generator, so good enough for some analog work. Now spec wise the Rigol scope is better.

Rusty

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

@MJMP: Say, that's a nice'n'compact [batronix] measurement package; just what the doctor ordered..
@Rusty: thanks for tips.  I knew I should've kept that vario thingy.
Hehe, having education in electronics but quite far back, reminders are always a good thing :)

Hi van Sinn,

Those vario thing'ies do not provide isolation, they are whats called auto-transformers, variac's,
The Neutral on the secondary side is connected to ground/earth, so they do not provide electrical isolation !   you would need a 1:1 isolation transformer.

Just saying OK.
Rusty.
Pages: [1]   Go Up