ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker Directivity Modifier  (Read 20771 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: Speaker Directivity Modifier
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

hahaha that's bizarre!!!  I got new speakers also so I didn't want to try the doughnuts until they were broken in as well.  So I put evrything off until then.  I also was having size issues with them.  I made them all 12" rather than 11".  The needed to be about 11" to fit in the actual baffle hole because your 12" speaker is 12" in circumference but  that circumference doesn't fit in the baffle hole itself, it fits around it.

The plan is to do it this weekend before my band get the the rehearsal room!  I was too busy trying out Eminence cv-75's!!!!  Awesomer speakers.  Really glad I bought them.  Very Loud as well!!  I will let you know after proper proper trials.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

So what would you do for front mounted 12s (like in ADA split stacks), maybe just make the same size as the grill and screw in place under the grill ??
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

show me them Richard, I dunno that cab specifically.

My cabs are just the traditional wooden baffle, speaker mounted flush against the baffle and then the 11" hole in the baffle is what lets the sound out.  Gonna take pictures to show exactly what I mean.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, there's 2 "main" ways to mount a speaker in a cab/box, from behind the baffle (like in most quad boxes, and then you need to have lots of screws and screw the back of the box on), or from the front where the box is sealed/glued no screws so access is only from the front and you have to take the speaker out to get inside (my EV 3 way TL PA box is also front mounted).

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

of the topic a little but ever since I placed my cabs up right like this life has been fantastic!!

Ok Richard, you have already nailed the solution to mounting foam to your style of cab.  As you rightly point out your speakers are mounted on the front of the baffle, mine are behind.  So the only solution for you and perhaps a little easier to do is fill the whole square with foam.

A) Its the only way to stop the sound leaking out with the design of your cabs
B) It's the only way to stop the foam touching the speaker

C) It's going to make your speakers look shit  :facepalm:

If you care enough about the look rather than the sound I wouldn't bother.  My cabs will hide anything I place inside.  Your cabs will not since it's open grill.  If you really minded what it looked like you could paint on speakers on the foam lol might affect the foam depending on the thickness of the paint when it dries.

So far the only foam I have come across that is he right spec is a crappy battle ship grey colour, not good aesthetics.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

I'm not particularly bothered by the aesthetics, the only beaming that I've been a little bothered by is when I use that single split stack which I've wired stereo (or mono) (less to lug). If I use my other 2 split stacks (and can put them where I want them) it's works fine. But it seems (apart from the look) it would be easy to fit 2 squares/rectangles of foam, anyway, it's got me thinking...

DesmoBob

« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

I'm not particularly bothered by the aesthetics,

Big visible squares outside the grill with would make it look like a giant cat condo tower with kitten sized holes. It could be pretty sweet if you ran with that theme and sat a fake cat on the cab and drew paw prints on the foam. 
:banana:
:banana-upsidedown:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

I'm not particularly bothered by the aesthetics, the only beaming that I've been a little bothered by is when I use that single split stack which I've wired stereo (or mono) (less to lug). If I use my other 2 split stacks (and can put them where I want them) it's works fine. But it seems (apart from the look) it would be easy to fit 2 squares/rectangles of foam, anyway, it's got me thinking...

Yeah man it would be.  It may be easier than what I have to do.  I've to had to fiddle with making circles exactly to fit.

Now if you try this Richard expect this:

Even sound
slight reduction in volume

What you need to do then is re eq your sound.  Generally I've found a little more db in the trebel side sorts it but this time you get your volume back and the trebel but the spread is way more even and no death beam.

My problem is I've always eq'd in the beam.  Then I move and I get volume (or apparent) volume drop.  Really is annoying.  Onstage the beaming is the worst, I feel like I can't move from one spot so if I had even sound spread moving about (within reason) should not be as bad.

I'm doing a full install of the doughnuts tomorrow morning  :homer: :homer: :homer: doughnuts

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

I'm not particularly bothered by the aesthetics,

Big visible squares outside the grill with would make it look like a giant cat condo tower with kitten sized holes. It could be pretty sweet if you ran with that theme and sat a fake cat on the cab and drew paw prints on the foam. 
:banana:
:banana-upsidedown:

If you try this with your setup I will salute you sir lol  :amaze:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

My thoughts were to put 2 foam panels (cut same size as grill) but under them, so when I screw the grill back down, it hold the foam in place. Yes you wouldn't see the cone through the grill like now, but who looks at it... (well some of us do LoL). With 2 cabs (which I use rarely these days), correctly placed, I don't have an issue, but I do get beaming (that I care about) with the one stereo box. If you have decent monitors and side fill (and time to dial it in), the issue IMO goes away. E.g. stereo wedges in front (dedicated), a bit extra through the side fill (with some bass and drums), boxes well placed behind you, time to tune it with the fold back engineer, you can make a very nice "guitar" zone that's got some space to move. But not all systems provide for this, and when you are an act on a multi line up concert, you don't generally get this latitude (unless you are headlining).

DesmoBob

« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

If you try this with your setup I will salute you sir lol  :amaze:
Jeje my cab is rear mount with a tight grille cloth weave, so fortunately I will have stealth donuts.

My thoughts were to put 2 foam panels (cut same size as grill) but under them, so when I screw the grill back down, it hold the foam in place.
Hmm.. screwing the grille over the foam on a front-mount might compress the foam onto the speaker surround, causing unintended dampening. Maybe it won't be an issue, but it's something to look out for.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Depending how thick the foam is, there should be room, the grill is 1cm from the speaker rim. It would compress the foam just where the 8 screws are that hold the grill on but that's just around the edge of the rectangle and well away from the speaker.  I like the cat paw idea LoL, would look interesting.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up