ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Using the MP-1 Classic rig live  (Read 3666 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Using the MP-1 Classic rig live
« on: Time Format »

Eff it! I'm gonna use my ADA rig for my 'pop' cover band. We don't play sketchy venues and always run direct to use IEMs. It would be great to hear my stereo rig in my headphones at a gig... I will bring my rig only to these gigs, I have another band that will get a different rig (in my signature line below). Talking to other folks who really cherish this gear made me go for it

Some things I need to keep in mind;

• WATCH IT LIKE GOLD - This stuff is getting rarer every day, and more valuable. Gotta keep an eye on the rig, it's pretty portable (4u rack).
  • HANDLE WITH CARE - ADA gear was made in the 90s - do you know how long ago that was? In terms of electronics? Sheesh. It's delicate
  • VENTILATE ACCORDINGLY - I live in California, where we are closer to the sun than the rest of the US....this gear is tiny, it gets hot in that enclosed space. If you live closer to the sun like me, bring a fan or better yet, install a fan in your rack
  • BRING A BACKUP - As mentioned, it's 'vintage' gear now, it'll break sometime...usually at a gig, never at practice

Am I forgetting anything?
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Using the ADA rig live
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, while I get your trepidation given the age of the ADAs, I've never had a problem with first my MP-1 rig and subsequently (many years now) my MP-2 rig.  I worked out all the recent issues in my 8RU live rack were other things (gummy faders in the mixer etc) nothing wrong with my MP-2.  As you know I have bought a few more MP-2s along the way just in case, and also to have one in my studio rig.  The new 4RU rack I put together (MP-2, Midiverb 4 in the MP-2 loop (never did this before) and B200s) is going well and so much easier to transport.  With all the chat about MP-2s getting hot etc I've started to think about fans.  That said I've never had an overheating issue and hey I'm in Australia, we are even closer to the sun that you are LoL. 
All your (and others) experimenting with other rigs makes me think about other options, but there's still nothing around that floats my boat to substitute for my MP-2s, they are intrinsic to my sound, I've always developed my own tones, not tried to emulate others. 

So it's good you are going to give it a go  :thumb-up: , hey take a spare, it's good practice anyway but your ADAs shouldn't let you down.  They are well built and made for touring.  Mine have survived lots of bumpy dirt tracks etc and are still going strong.  Moreover, they just sound so good  :metal:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

All your (and others) experimenting with other rigs makes me think about other options, but there's still nothing around that floats my boat to substitute for my MP-2s, they are intrinsic to my sound, I've always developed my own tones, not tried to emulate others. 

So it's good you are going to give it a go  :thumb-up: , hey take a spare, it's good practice anyway but your ADAs shouldn't let you down.  They are well built and made for touring.  Mine have survived lots of bumpy dirt tracks etc and are still going strong.  Moreover, they just sound so good  :metal:

I feel that - make your own tones, never was too into modeling or emulators. I really missed the tones, once I started practicing at home with headphones. My bass player (owner of the PA) keeps asking if my signal is stereo....it started to bug me enough to just bite the bullet and bring it to practice.

As for a backup, I suppose I could put the MP-2 into the rack with the Classic. Just swap the wires if you need to change the preamp  :dunno:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, the backup preamp is a good idea so you don't stress.  When I started buying spare MP-2s I racked a 2nd one for a while as a just in case because I was getting worried about the age of my main MP-2, but also triggered partly because of playing on generator power in the bush, my MP-2 didn't like the power fluctuations and would sometimes shit itself and I'd have to re-boot it.  But I solved that issue with a 1Kva computer battery UPS and I never needed the spare MP-2 and in the end I took it out of the rack. 

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I pulled out my midi pedal board and realized it's huge. It occurred to me that I don't need the GX-700 in the rack if I use my multi-fx on my pedalboard, like I do with every other 'amp head' I have.

So, I'm using the MP-1 Classic in a 2u rack with a MicroTube 200 power amp in case I need to make it loud. It's a tiny rack, with the preamp in my multi fx via the 4 cable method

Cool thing is, the MS-3 has a 'manual mode' which makes the 4 buttons activate 4 individual effects, like stompboxes...that's cool

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

UPDATE: I set up 4 patches in the Classic, assigned to the buttons on my Boss MS3.... to mimic what I have in the GrandMeister head. This way, I'm using the same 4 patches, and the same 4 sets of effects too - when I go into Manual Mode (aka stompbox mode) I have the same options available. Helps me keep things straight in my head...because not much is

1: clean  :thumb-up:
2: grit (Brown Sound)  :banana-guitar:
3: lead  :headbanger:
4: ultra  :metal:

Keep in mind, I have another pedal attached to the multi effects that allows two more effects - I use them for BOOST and Delay on all patches

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante,  :whoohoo!: :thumb-up:

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Here's a pic of the teeny stereo rig

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Looks nice  :thumb-up:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, that is so nice  :thumb-up: , and so under stated, no one (who didn't know i.e. us) would understand the absolute kick arse-ness of that rig  :thumb-up:

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

I am still shaking my head over the fact that I never thought to do it this way. No FX in the rack, just on the floor. I've had so many multi-fx over the years, you'd think I'd come up with that, but no  :facepalm:

Yeah, that tiny rig is a sleeper - you'd never know how much it can part your hair

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Very cool.   Or you could just throw money at it and profile it. :D

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

I have a friend with a Kemper, his MP-1 profile is not bad....but not right either, from what I can hear. Kinda fizzy, trying too hard to sound hard

Ain't nothing like the real thing

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Ain't nothing like the real thing
+1  :thumb-up: absolutely  :headbanger:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net