ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP1 - > Midiverb II -> UX2?  (Read 4707 times)

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official
MP1 - > Midiverb II -> UX2?
« on: Time Format »

Greetings ADA enthusiasts!  I've been stalking the board as a non-member for quite some time now.  I have an MP1 version 2.01 that I'm trying to use with a Midiverb II which goes in stereo through the line inputs of my Line 6 UX2.  I can get some beautiful tones out of it, but it sounds temperamental and I'm sure I'm doing something wrong; so a few questions.

1. Do I use the MP1 loop or just the A/B outputs?
2. Do I use TRS (line) cables to hook all the crap together, or just regular guitar cables?
3. Where do I adjust my master volume?  I usually have the volume on the MP1 at a reasonably low amount and then use the input and output on the MV2 to adjust accordingly - this usually gets me serious clipping and my dynamics get crushed.

It worked once (see video below), so any help would be appreciated as this is my first real rack and I'm in love with it and am building an entire rig around it (see video below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4ZXWAFSkCU
« Last Edit: Time Format by Chip Roberts »
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: MP1 - > Midiverb II -> UX2?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Chip Roberts, welcome to the depot  :wave: . So the line 6 thing is a PC audio interface (basically a AD/DA convertor) for recording. Ideally you need to run the signal through a can sim before it hits the Line 6 inputs.  The MP-1 is designed to be used live through poweramps and guitar speakers (which don't have top end like full range monitors do).  Easiest way is put an ADA GCS3 in the MP-1 loop and then the main A/B outs are cab simmed for you (suitable for recording).
Cables from the MP-1 are unbalanced TS (except the line in on the back of the V1 MP-1s, which is balanced) (TRS) so regular cables are fine.
The MP-1 will sound better in stereo (A/B outs, these are line level (unless V1 MP-1 where you can switch between line and inst levels)).
You should run the MP-1 around 12 o'clock or more to provide good signal to the inputs of the MV2 (adjust the input and output on the MV2 to accommodate (not clip the MV2 input or UX2 input (ie MV2 out feeds UX2 in)))).  The MV2 mix knob adjusts how much wet (fx) signal is mixed into the MP-1 signal, ie how much Fxs in the sound).
However, in your case, initially (until you get a cab sim), I'd take the headphone out (TRS) split it into 2 mono feeds to the MV2 (so insert lead).  The HP out is a bit cab simmed (not as good as the GCS3 etc) and will work better for recording until you sort it out.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MikeB

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hi Chip,
I run a very similar setup.  I have UX1 so the principle is more or less the same.
Run the ada outs in to the mv2 inputs.  The mv2 outputs into the 2 line inputs on the back of the ux2.  Then open up the pod farm, select a dual input (one for line 1 and one for line 2) and pick a quad box for each signal path.  The pod farm will throw a power amp in front of the quad box. This is your cabinet simulator.  then go to the mixer panel and pan line 1 hard left and line 2 hard right. Go crazy.  I run an ada gcs3 in my mp1 loop for situations where I need to go direct.  However I found that if I went into pod farm and just ran the signal straight through to the outputs with nothing on there that it didn't sound very good.  I supect that the A/D conversion is dodgy and this can be masked by using a pod farm element (in this case a nice pair of quad boxes), so I don't use the gcs3 when I'm using the ux1.  There are a multitude of variables, so i have just tried to give you a basic plan. 
I hope that helps.
Mike
I don't feel tardy!

Chip Roberts

• Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Thanks dudes!  Right now I'm running it very similar to how MikeB recommended, but I'm not familiar with the "quad box" you're referring to.  I run it through POD Farm and then out into two cab sims, one with V30s and one with T75s (double tracked of course!).  This is the first I've heard of the GCS3, I'll have to check that out, but will probably be transitioning to a miked setup as I've just had a 2X12 built (WGS Retro 30 and HM75) and will be moving into a new apartment soon.

Follow up question regarding MIDI controllers.  I'm only interested in a 4 button, and the Fender Cyber Twin footswitch seems to fit the bill, would any of you happen to know if this would be compatible with the MP1?  Will any footswitch with a MIDI cable work? 

Rack of Death:

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hi Chip,

That four button switch would only work with the Fender Cyber series amps. The way the Fender MIDI is set up in the Cyber amps is to be able to save four presets to that switch. None of the ADA's have that program feature in their MIDI SYSEX, so I'm not sure what that switch would do with the ADA gear. I suppose I could plug mine into one of my ADA's and see if it does anything at all.

Fender's MIDI is unlike any other MIDI on the market. They only have up to 50 preset locations total in the Cyber amps, and half of them are not able to be edited. They are permanent in the memory with whatever tones and effects are programmed in the library. Any edits you make and want to save are saved in the user library which is the 2nd half of the memory preset locations.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Chip Roberts

• Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

You cats know your stuff!  In that case, what I'm really looking for is just a MIDI foot controller, would something like this do?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322463771547?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

My reason for not getting the MC1 or MPC is because I want an all-in-one rackmounted pedalboard that can be removed from the rack and placed on stage without having to worry about other crap that I can lose.  The way I have it set up is a drawer with the tabs removed that normally stop it from sliding out all the way.  Velcroed on the drawer I have tuner, A/B, Boss Chorus, Flanger, Phase 90, Crybaby, and then a space for a 4 button MIDI footswitch.  Does anyone know if the ADA Quad switch can be used for this, or is it only meant to be used in tandem with an MC1?

The whole point of complexifying my rig is so I only have to make one trip to the car...
« Last Edit: Time Format by Chip Roberts »
Rack of Death:

Pedalboard:

Cabinet:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey Chip, yes that pedal will work with MP-1 but will only change the first 4 patches, well that's not entirely true, it sends out program change 1 to 4 (or more likely 0 to 3) unless you do the hold down for 3 seconds thing on it.  You could use the MP-1s midi mapping to have the MP-1 change to any internal patch when it receives those patch changes from the pedal (this is also reflected on the MP-1s midi out). Eg select patch 1 on pedal, map MP-1 to change to patch 30 (when it receives #1), MP-1s midi through send on #1, MP-1s midi out sends #30...  From the add it seems it also supports phantom power over a 7 pin midi lead with the wall wart in the back much the same as the ADA pedals.

Quad switch works with the ADA MXC pedal and just does on/off continuous control (CC).  The software for the Quad switch is in the MXC pedal.  MP-1 has no real time (CC) midi capability. I don't remember if the MVII has CC functionality  :dunno: but if you wanted to go that way you'd need a different pedal to the one in the eBay add, it only does patch change.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hi Chip,

Yes that pedal will work for your MIDI program changes, but it seems like the limited controls will be cumbersome after time.

I would suggest that the first thing you do is figure out how many different tone patches you need with the MP-1 first,(i.e. how many sounds you need for your guitar from clean to distorted). This is where you need to do a bit of thinking and planning. First create all the guitar patches you will use in a live situation. Most players have three or four basic tones for their guitars. Then figure out which effects patches you want to use with each of the guitar tones you've created. Now when you have all of this completed, You can save all the guitar tones you created to the MP-1's Bank 1 which will be the first 10 patches you'll see when you power it up. You should be able to save your effects patches in the first 10 program change slots in the QV, and have the patch numbers match the patch numbers in the MP-1.
   With this setup, when you hit button 1 thru 4 on the footswitch, both the MP-1 and the QV with go to the same patch numbers. So you can set up four patches with effects, and four patches without them simply by editing the effects loop in or out in the MP-1. This would be the simplest way to organize this setup and have it work for you, all by having everything in the same bank. When you hold down the button for three seconds, it will give you presets 5 thru 8. (That's the part I would find cumbersome), then to go back to the original four, I believe you hold down the opposite button for 3 seconds.
   I had something similar early on when I got into MIDI with some Digitech gear I was using, and there was a two-button MIDI footswitch that operated like that. I didn't like it at all for a live situation, so I got rid of that stuff, and went pro all the way.
   I would recommend looking for the ADA MPC pedal which is much more compact than the MC-1 and will fit in your rack. Unless of course, you want to go with MIDI CC as Richard suggests, then the MXC, Quad switch and CCP, would help you. Of course there are other choices out there you can look for that have all of that in one package. You'd just have to pay attention to the physical dimensions to be sure it will fit in your case.

Harley 8)

Chip Roberts

• Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Awesome!  I played a Line 6 combo for years, only recently upgrading to the Spider Valve in 2015, and while I loved that amp (it has the Bogner tube preamp), it was way too heavy and didn't have built-in chorus, so it's just chilling at home right now.  Anyways, I always used the 4-button FBV Express, and if anything, four was the more than I needed.  The way I figure it I have 1 clean with a bit of delay, 2 hotter clean with a lot of delay, 3 dry dirty, 4 overdrive delay.  Boom.  I use my stompboxes for any other effects I want, mostly for wankage at best.  Thanks for all your help, dudes!  Expect more stupid questions coming from me throughout the board. 
Rack of Death:

Pedalboard:

Cabinet:

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up