ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Good power amp suggestions for MP1  (Read 24677 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: Good power amp suggestions for MP1
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Didn´t know that about the GT6.....but if it works with the GT5, why not use both ;-), meaning GT6 with GT5 and MP1 in 4cable method....if thats not too much of signal loss. But in the end, once the drummer enters the room  :facepalm: ::) :lol: :lol:

But back to topic: Try to snag a Boogie Fifty/Fifty for cheap, you won´t be disappointed  :thumb-up:

May be I will keep an eye out for one.  I defo do not want to use GT6 and GT5  :lol:  I went back in time (joking) to get GT5 to replace my GT6 because I knew it was analogue.  I then moved to the idea of separate pre amp for drive and gain.  I am trying to free myself from the GT6 because I can only use it with something called a harmonic converger that takes the fizz away, and sure it works but I'm not dependant on the f**ker and I want rid!  GT5 analogousness is superb but I haven't tamed it to work right at the volume I play at.

You are dam right about the drummer which is why I need 300 Watts!!

Also a good power amp is the marshall 9005 2 x 50W poweramp.These also sound amazing.

http://en.audiofanzine.com/guitar-power-amplifier/marshall/9005/medias/pictures/a.play,m.64516.html

I must give a look into that marshall model as I am unfamiliar MJMP thanks for the suggestion  ;)  emailed ya BTW
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

The 9005 has the same poweramp as the JCM800 50W heads and combo's.And they usually sell pretty cheap.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

don't see anything on ebay at the mo for the 9005

what is this though? Marshall 9040?  one I see on ebay looks like it has been in a b*mb.  I doubt I could take that on a plane.  The 9005 looks smaller am I right?

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Mesa Boogie Fifty/Fifty on UK eBay
)

I just saw that man  ;  I cannot affrod it this month however, just had all the bills come in at once!! It ends in a day too so defo no go for me there :( :(
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Billy Gibbons uses one of these bad boys, anyone tried one before?

Marshall Valvestate 120/120 Power Amp

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

I remember when they came out years ago, but I don't recall if they're any good.
For the plane travel thing, maybe go with a 1 RU option like the Rocktron, or the new Carvin DCM200l (http://www.proaudio.com.au/shoppingcart/products/Carvin-DCM200L.html). The Carvin (if you can afford it) is perfect with MP1, powerful 100w per chan, clean transparent and super lite (2 kg), takes all input power voltages. And doubles as a great amp for your studio monitors (if they are passive).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

I remember when they came out years ago, but I don't recall if they're any good.
For the plane travel thing, maybe go with a 1 RU option like the Rocktron, or the new Carvin DCM200l (http://www.proaudio.com.au/shoppingcart/products/Carvin-DCM200L.html). The Carvin (if you can afford it) is perfect with MP1, powerful 100w per chan, clean transparent and super lite (2 kg), takes all input power voltages. And doubles as a great amp for your studio monitors (if they are passive).

wow 2 kg is nothing!!

Well currently I am keeping the powerblocks for sure.  However for our rehearsal room I think I am going for another power amp when I get the cash (Christmas not far off you know). 

There may be no difference compared to the blocks for all I know as it is clean as can be just the size of shoe  :))

For the limited amount of gear I can travel with currently and UK tour in January/February looming the powerblocks will be the ticket.

For sheer greed (and I am greedy) and a treat a NICE NEW BIG OL power amp for the rehearsal room would be great and hopefully the drummer!!  I have been trying for years, nearly there!!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

In the all tube (thus quite heavy 11.36 kg, or 25 lbs), the Carvin TS100 is a great amp and you can buy them new.  I love mine and it's plenty loud, no problem at all getting over a drummer (with real drums) and another guitar, I've never run it past 2 o'clock so it's got more to go that what I need (and I don't play soft  >:D ).  Also handy presence knob for adding extra 6khz cut.  4, 6 and 16 ohm speaker options and you can use either 6L6 or EL34 output tubes.  While it's crytal clean and transparent, I'd describe it as a "warm" amp.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

don't see anything on ebay at the mo for the 9005

what is this though? Marshall 9040?  one I see on ebay looks like it has been in a b*mb.  I doubt I could take that on a plane.  The 9005 looks smaller am I right?

9040 was SS amp (mosfet) with 2 x 200W poweramps and it was 2U 19" rack.The 9005 is taller,it's a 4U 19" unit.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

I still have not bought a new amp.  The Crate Power blocks are doing the trick so far.  I am going to buy one and keep the PB's for live use.

don't even think I'm interested in this but does anyone know what these are like?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mosvalve-MV962-Guitar-Power-Amp-/171554236223?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item27f16de73f

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Hey rabidgerry, there's some here who seem to like the Mosvalve stuff, main thing with ADA MP1/2 is clean, transparent, colour comes from the preamp.  Admittedly, while the Carvin TS100 is all of these, it does add a little warmth (which is very subtle and I don't mind) from the all tube circuits compared to my ADA B200s. My understanding of the Mosvavle stuff is it's designed to add colour ?

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

I don't have a problem with colouration so long as it's good colouration :)  I havn't seen any Carvin TS100 about the place, how much are they roughly?

I'm tempted to buy this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_gpa_400.htm?sid=8317d304d74b7388cbcac1b0688d367e

In Europe Thomann are the shit when it comes to music supplies.  They've made their own knock off Rocktron Velocity clone and it's 100watts more to boot.  For the money and size of this thing alone it might be worth the gamble.  I'd also get it shipped for free :thumb-up:  I wouldn't give a  :poop: if this is their own so long as it did what I wanted well enough.  I did ask them about it and they said it was designed to go head to head with the velocity.  Really light too!!!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Our other guitarplayer found a marshall 9005 for 160 euro and he got a set of new GT EL34 mullard reissues with it.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

Hey rabidgerry, if you can get that at a good price it will go well with MP1/2 (from what I read). Also good for bass players as > 100 damping factor (will pull your cones up quicker (damping factor is sort of how the amp reacts to the back wash signal the speakers generate from moving)). So this will suit metal high gain (and probably thrash/screamo players).  The other contender in this space would be the Carvin DCM 100L (http://www.carvinguitars.com/manuals/DCM200L.pdf).
The new Carvin TS100s (very nice amp BTW) are around $900 AUD I think, so they aren't cheap, I paid $600 for mine, I know the importer. The DCM200Ls are much cheaper and boasts >400 dampening factor, even tighter (accurate). The Carvin DCM200L in AUD is around $440 retail (http://www.proaudio.com.au/shoppingcart/products/Carvin-DCM200L.html).
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up