ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NAD Peavey Classic 50/50  (Read 4271 times)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
NAD Peavey Classic 50/50
« on: Time Format »

Okay Kim,

They both arrived yesterday, and they look pretty darned clean too. Definitely low mileage on both of these, and they have an octet of EL84 tubes in them, as well as two 12AX7, and 12AT7 tubes.
   Definitely fixed bias, so re-tubing will be a pain, but I'll see how they sound with my preamps very shortly.

In the meantime since you believe this thread is worthless without pics, here are a few for now.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: NAD Peavey Classic 50/50
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

...and the inner mojo...

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Cool!    :thumb-up:

But my confusion came from:

The Peavey Classic 50/50 originally came with EL84 tubes.  You mentioned it having 6L6, converting those to EL34, "confirmed" having EL34 before receiving the amps, and now EL84.  All very different tubes that will not directly interchange.  Typos?  Seller misinformation?

I was doubtful of the Classic 50/50 having 6L6 or EL34s in them, even as modded units.  That could be more trouble than it might be worth, and the physically larger sized 6L6 and EL34 tubes would have trouble occupying the same place these EL84s normally do all at the same time, even though you'd be replacing the tubeboard with a custom one featuring only four 8-pin Octal tube sockets instead of eight 9-pin Noval sockets if someone were to actually mod them like that. :o 

IMHO, if you find that you're not getting on with the EL84 tubes, sell the poweramps as they are to look for one that is already based on the 6L6 or EL34 instead of contemplating any conversion mods to the Classic 50/50s.

Nevertheless, not a bad score and even better if you like what these will do for you. :thumb-up:

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey Kim,

I was a bit confused myself because I was talking with the sellers who didn't seem to really know what was actually in there. One did tell me the actual tube compliment, while another told me EL34.
   Peavey, being an American company, you'd expect 6L6 tubes, and since all my tube amps have those in them, I know what that's all about and I wanted a different tube amp flavor. That's why I've been looking for the VHT Two Fifty Two's.
   I do remember auditioning this amp back in 1989, and it does have a character of it's own which appealed to me back then. The funny thing is, I can't remember the preamp that was set up with it at the time, but I do remember it has a warm and punchy tone that was smooth at the same time. So this will be an interesting experiment with the Classic and the MP-2, and the Split-Stack cabs.
   I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but I'm going to get them in the racks tomorrow when I get home from work, and just dial in some straight amp tones, then I'll add either some ADA or Lexicon effects to them and blend those in.
   One concern I have right now is that these amps my be too deep to use in the RMC Headcases I'm going to get for these two rigs. If that ends up being the case, then I'll end up using these in the large studio rack, and just use the B200S amps in the live rigs. Either way, I'll have decent tones happening in whatever I'm playing through.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

UPDATE:

The amps are installed in the racks, and they RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP!

The Classic is delivering some of the most rockin' tones I've heard in a long time. A little bit of tweaking in the preamp, is all it needs to get it just right. a little more time will be spent on the effects in the rack to balance them out. But basically, it was roaring right from the start up!

The MP-2 will need a lot of tweaking on most of the programs I have in it, but some of them sound good as is. Quite a difference going to tube amps from the MT200's. The programs that don't need any tweaking are RIPPIN'!

Overall, these amps are delivering better than I'd hoped for, so they are definite keepers.

When I can get some decent recordings of them, I'll post them. (Still learning to work this new gear).
Pages: [1]   Go Up