ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finger Board care and maintenace  (Read 226 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Finger Board care and maintenace
« on: Time Format »

I thought to start this thread as finger board care doesn't seem to be particularly well understood or even on the radar for lots of guitar owners, and I've been doing a few set ups for various people lately (which I do enjoy, particularly the look on their face and comments and joy after their instrument has been set up well).
So others may have some good/interesting tricks and tips (please post  :wave: ) but this what I do: 

I oil my unfinished FBs (Pau Ferro, Ebony, Rosewood etc.) every time I change strings (which is a bit less now I'm not gigging all the time (e.g. I used to change strings every 2nd gig (or I'd risk busting a D string on stage (with a floating Floyd Rose   :facepalm: ) and oil the FB each time).  So rule of thumb is unfinished FBs should be oiled/conditioned AT least every 6 months and more often depending on your climate, but at least every change of season (if you have seasons). 

If the FB needs dressing (which they do occasionally) I use 600 then 800 then 1200 paper (which also dresses your frets) (alternatively, you could use 0000 steel wool but mask off your pickups or they will attract the filings) (Note: always with the grain (length wise) never across the grain  :facepalm: ) wipe/dust off the dust/filings with a small paint brush (1 1/2" to 2" brush).  Then I apply a liberal quantity of FB oil (lately I'm using Dunlop 65 Lemon oil, works well and easy to buy) and using a (FB only) cloth, wipe it all clean.  I then give the board a good drink of oil and let it sink in (I have a smoke and clean the rest of the guitar etc. while it sinks in).  For FBs that have never been cared for, I repeat this until the FB doesn't want any more.  If you oil your FBs regularly, one initial drink is generally enough, but if you wait between applications you'll see when it's happy.  I then wipe that off with my FB cloth, give it a final drink and wait, wipe that off and then restring. 

Note that not all lemon oils are equal or suited for Guitar FBs.  Some have a higher moisture content and can swell/lift the wood grain (not good  :facepalm: ). 

Apart from making your guitar much nicer to play (and look really nice showing off the woods figure and grain), oiling your FB regularly will stop it splitting (much more common than you might think) and keep your sweat (water) out of it (which can also swell and lift the grain).
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Re: Finger Board care and maintenace
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

EXCELLENT ADVICE!!

I use the same Dunlop lemon oil on my necks, every time I restring. I change strings when they sound like crap unplugged, sometimes that's pretty quick, sometimes not. I clean the crap off first with the lemon oil, then put another coat on the neck and let it sit until it's all (or mostly) absorbed into the wood. As you say, you'll see when it's had enough, it'll be saturated enough to not drink it up. Wipe off the excess, add strings

A friend of mine never cleans his necks. I traded for one if his guitars once, and promptly gave it a thorough bath. It was disgusting
Pages: [1]   Go Up