ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP-1 Gain section  (Read 13433 times)

MikeB

Re: MP-1 Gain section
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

Just to clarify...
When I was recording the pre and post mdrt clips, I wanted to try to be scientific about the whole thing so I recorded the direct guitar signal with my sony mini-disk recorder and then played that back into the input of the mp1.  This was the source of that noise (was quite surprised how much it introduced).  I'm sure the levels and impedance and whatever were all wrong, plus there may have been unshielded portions of the setup as I had all kinds of adapters in the line.  As soon as I went back to guitar straight into mp1 the noise was gone.  Having said that, on my highest gain patch, I do use the gate on my g-major 2.

In hindsight, I should have set up some custom patches with flat eq.  Pre mdrt I had my treble and presence levels pretty high.  Even the bass was actually a lot higher pre-mdrt than I have it now post mdrt.  Post mdrt my eq is quite flat.  It was like having a new amp and I just went back and started from scratch.

Also, the recording setup that I was using is pretty cheap and nasty.  I also had to bring down the recording level on the distorted post mdrt track significantly as it went off the scale.  There is a huge increase in output.

The transformer swap is pretty straight forward and completely reversible, so I would recommend just giving it a go.
I don't feel tardy!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

Hey MikeB,

Thank you for clarifying that, I did read in your post that it wasn't the ideal recording set up, but I didn't know it was causing that much noise.
    So, in your opinion, how do you think this would sound with a single coil guitar?
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

Well MarshallJMP it really does make a difference, no doubt about it. Just curious though what power amp and speakers are you using in this video if I may ask?  :)

Well I didn't do this, someone posted it on YouTube, he was an old member of the depot. So I can't tell you what he used.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

OK just curious MarshallJMP, just gather info and listening to many different clips of people's MP-1 sounds for when my rig gets here this week.  :)
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

Be careful  ADA's can be very addictive  :D

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

And they breed LoL, and invite their cousins around  :headbanger:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

Be careful  ADA's can be very addictive  :D
And they breed LoL, and invite their cousins around  :headbanger:

You both got that right!! I have bought 2 already in the last week and I'm anxiously awaiting their arrival!! Plus I have a line on two more "in case" something is not quite right! It amazes the adjectives people use when selling a 25 year old piece of gear - "Great condition for a piece of gear this old" and it's hammered or "Showroom condition" and it has visible rust. However there is one for sale now on Reverb that the guy only wants like $279.00 ans the faceplate is very clean but it's all rusted - I may snag that one for parts!!  :D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up