ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rack Set Up  (Read 12991 times)

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
Rack Set Up
« on: Time Format »

Hello all, I am fairly new to a rack set up. Here is what I have and how I ran my signal path:
Guitar to rack tuner>black loop>loop 1 is ADA MP1, loop 2 is Marshall JMP1. Out of black loop to Hush super c> quadraverb>sonic maximixer>fx return of DSL. I also have 1 eq in each of the preamps fx loops.
Is the a better way to run this?
« Last Edit: Time Format by Soloist »
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Rack Set Up
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Soloist, simple answer yes IMHO, first what's a black loop ? nothing on Google so I don't know what it is/does, from what you've posted it seems to be designed to enhance (add more flexibility) to existing fx loops (like basic serial loop in MP1).
Anyway, just on what you have and how I'd want to patch it (basic paradigm, keep it analogue all the way to power amp, mix in digital things on the way (delay/reverb etc)) and above all (particularly with ADA MP1) keep it all stereo (huge difference  :thumb-up: ).
So I suspect you use the black loop to select between the MP1 and Marshall JMP1 preamps. If the black loop is mono, I'd get rid of it, it will just hold you back, there are other ways of switching between 2 "stereo" preamps (e.g. simple input splitter (A/B or A+B), I modified an old Peavy foot switch to do this, just need 3 jack sockets and a 2 on/off foot switches, one picked A/B the other A+B). Tuner can/should go before this switch (though they can/do sometimes affect your sound, I use a clip on Peterson Stroboclip, so no longer an issue for me).  The best way after this with what you have is to use a small mixer with lots of fx sends. plug each preamp into 2 channels panned left/right, use the FX sends to bring in the Quadverb in stereo and back down 2 channels (or stereo FX return), DSL ? if stereo FX gadget same as Quadverb, hush ? if not stereo need to put with tuner before split between preamps, others seem to like these sonic maximisers, they probably just add upper harmonics (~18khz (like oral exciters)), I haven't tried (or have the need) for them, if it wont run in stereo.. not good. but again mix these things in to you basic good sounding analogue signals (i.e.MP1,Marshall JMP1)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I guess it´s this:

Soloist

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Yup that's it. It is only mono. I would love to go stereo however my Dsl only has a mono fx loop. Time to save up for a stereo power amp!
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Go SC, thanks, Ok it adds 2 (switchable) mono serial effects loops. Useful but not best for MP1/2 (best to keep digital gadgets out of these loops BTW unless they have true analogue bypass). When you try stereo (if your like me, you won't go back :thumb-up: ).

Soloist

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

ok here is what I got going now:
Guitar>A/B Splitter> Out of splitter on channel A>JMP1
                            > Out of splitter on channel B>ADA MP1
JMP & MP1 outs to Alesis Multimix8 (channels 1 and 2) Stereo EQ & Quadraverb in multimix 8 stereo fx loop.
Multimix 8 out to Hush Super C (stereo as well)> Stereo power amp> 2, 412 cabs.

Still looking at power amps. Does it matter Solid State or not? Both preamps are tube so.......
One more question on power amps I am wondering if an ART SLA1 or Rocktron Velocity 100 LTD would work for me? This rig is being set up for live use not studio. Thanks for your help rnolan! :metal:
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey happy to help  :thumb-up: , should sound awesome  :whoohoo!: >:D and preserving analogue for main signal  :thumb-up: .
Poweramps for ADA MP1/2 are best clean and transparent with good headroom. Both SS and tube amps work well (SS are less to lug, tube amps are heavy mothers (3 transformers instead of 1)). I used the ADA B200s SS (124 w per chan into 4 ohms), great amp love them, perfect match for MP1/2. It was playing up so I bought a Carvin TS100 all tube 50w per channel, love it also, They are both very clean, transparent amps (Carvin recommend the TS100 to run studio monitors also). The tubes amps are a little bit warmer (subtle though), a Carvin DCM200 1 RU 200w per channel SS very light (designed for passive studio monitors) will also work very well. If you want colur from a power amp, and it's not the way I do it, then tube amps will do that better than SS.
The ART SLA1 looks fine (but the DCM200 is better value and twice the power), the Rocktron Velocity 100 LTD is underpowered for a SS amp (55w p/c into 4ohms) IMHO while the numbers should mean the same (wrms) 50 valve watts are MUCH bigger than 50 SS watts (that's my experience). I wondered if the TS100 at 50 p/c would be loud enough after B200s at 124w p/c. It's plenty loud  >:D The Rocktron Velocity 100 LTD has bass boost (loudness control for low volume (bedroom is my guess)) and a presence boost (6khz), I have the presence on the TS100, never use it there's plenty in the MP1/2 for me, and B200s just has vol knobs, never a problem. Basically with MP1/2 the tone is in the preamp, you just want to make it louder without changing it in anyway.

Soloist

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Wow I didn't even see the Carvin when I did my research. I got a DCM200L on order, should see it in a few days!! :whoohoo!: Thanks again for your insight!
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Still looking at power amps. Does it matter Solid State or not? Both preamps are tube so.......

The JMP-1 isn't actually a "real" tube preamp,the actual distortion is solid state with an added tube after the distortion to give the sound a bit of tube feel,like they did in the valvestates.The mp-1 is a real tube distortion unit.

Soloist

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

The JMP-1 isn't actually a "real" tube preamp,the actual distortion is solid state with an added tube after the distortion to give the sound a bit of tube feel,like they did in the valvestates.The mp-1 is a real tube distortion unit.
AHH, Good to know. Thanks for the clarification. :thumb-up:
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Wow I didn't even see the Carvin when I did my research. I got a DCM200L on order, should see it in a few days!! :whoohoo!: Thanks again for your insight!
Let us know how it goes, should work very well  :thumb-up:

Soloist

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

OK I got my Carvin power amp, all wired up....Holy Shit!! what a difference! I really notice it on my effects running in true stereo. Thanks for all the info.
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey happy to help  :wave: , and glad you like it. What does the eq button sound like ?

Soloist

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

The EQ Expander button works like a mid cut/bass boost. Great for early Metallica :metal:

Now I just need to figure out how to set up some custom patches on my quadraverb. This thing is a bit tricky for me. I am used to HD500 set up, and the q-verb is a completely different animal ???
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Cool, so it's a bit like a loudness button, good to know BTW.
Quadverb is easy (but remember it goes from midi 000 to 127, MP1 001 to 128 so MP1 100 = Quadverb  099 etc.) Also you can midi map at either end (MP1 midi "out" can be anything you want for that patch), and Quadverb midi "in" can map to whatever patch in QV (AGAIN remember the patch number difference (-1 on QV!!!)). I run a basic mild stereo delay and some stereo reverb and have the QV map the various patches to the same basic fx. But if I want a particular fx, I can map the patch to it (or make a patch the same number -1).
I find the QV easy to drive, press the thing you want to change (e.g. delay), scroll through the variables and set them where you want and save. Same for Reverb... etc It had/has a really good manual, really good explanations of all the controls and what they do. Particularly reverb. I run myQV full wet BTW and mix in with (these days) MP2 in parallel with a small desk.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up