ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preset 45  (Read 852 times)

bognerfish

Preset 45
« on: Time Format »

Hi, a lot of people buy the ADA-MP1 to get the same tone as Michael Wagner- myself included. On many forums and youtube videos people say he used 'preset 45'. I also read his software version was 1.38.

I also have software version 1.38, but my ADA only has presets 1-29 (even when restoring to factory default).

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Preset 45
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Gerry, original version 1.xx only had 29 presets.  If MW is using v1.38 and also using #45 for a preset then it was a custom patch he created himself.  V2.xx EPROM upgrade included 40 additional presets.  Some are repeats with slight tweaks to suit either split stacks or vintage split stacks: So 30 - 39 Split stacks and 60 - 69 for Vintage split stacks i.e. (as the v2 MP-1 manual states Bank 3 were designed for Split stacks and Bank 6 for Vintage split stacks.

V2.xx #45 Solid Jazz is/was a new patch.  The V1 MP-1 manual listed the patch values for the 29 presets, V2 manual doesn't, it just list the names, so you'd need to get someone with V2 to list the settings.  If I get time maybe I'll dig out my V2 MP-1 and list the settings (like I did for MP-2). However, if MW is (as you say) using v1.38, then #45 isn't a factory patch so you'd need to find out what his settings are for it. 

It's probably a good idea to buy a V2.01 EPROM from MJMP (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm) and install it, easy to do (see attached release notes) and that will give you all the later presets (including #45 Solid Jazz).  V2 also included midi dump and load capability so you can store and load patches to/from your PC.  And will also let you use the MidiCtrlSWSetup1.1.3 program to program the MP-1 from your PC (if you wanted to). 

Did you solve the issue with your rack cover/lid?? (back in 2018)

Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

BTW I found this in an old post Michael Wagner Patch (OD1: 4 0D2: 5.5 B:12 M:6 t:6 p:12) The post is (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=378.msg2649#msg2649).

Micky

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

That sound was not only the mp-1.
Had a PEQ-3 before, a McIntosh power amp after, the hands of Nuno, Vito, Scott & Dave and their guitars
Kramer Paul Dean
ADA MP-1
Lexicon LXP-1
Alesis Midiverb IV
Peavey Classic 50/50
Engl 2x12

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Absolutely, the sound is a combination of all the bits and pieces, and how (and what) you play makes a huge difference

bognerfish

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Absolutely, the sound is a combination of all the bits and pieces, and how (and what) you play makes a huge difference

Apologies for the late reply- only reading these message now. Thank you very much RNOLAN for all the information and for digging out those preset's. Yes he must have created the patch manually. The settings are on some youtube channels.

When I bought my APA-MP1 it had some cool presets. I stupidly reset ti factory and forgot to write down the settings for a particular preset. By any chance do you know if preset's 1-29 on v1.38 and 1-29 on 2.xx are the same?

As for the lid, yes someone local painted it for me and it looks great now- thanks for asking.

bognerfish

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

BTW I found this in an old post Michael Wagner Patch (OD1: 4 0D2: 5.5 B:12 M:6 t:6 p:12) The post is (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=378.msg2649#msg2649).

Apologies for the late reply- only reading these message now. Thank you very much RNOLAN for all the information and for digging out those preset's. Yes he must have created the patch manually. The settings are on some youtube channels.

When I bought my APA-MP1 it had some cool presets. I stupidly reset ti factory and forgot to write down the settings for a particular preset. By any chance do you know if preset's 1-29 on v1.38 and 1-29 on 2.xx are the same?

As for the lid, yes someone local painted it for me and it looks great now- thanks for asking.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey Gerry, yes 1 - 29 are the same in v1.x and v2.x, they just added a bunch more.  Also I suspect (Harley will probably know) the Vintage Split stacks came later and co-coincided with the v2.0 EPROM release so they put in a bunch of patches for them (bank 6) as well as some new ones.  It's always an issue when you pick up a 2nd hand MP-1/2, do you keep the patches from the previous owner or start from scratch. The last EPROM update was v2.01, as I said previously, worth doing, not expensive and relatively easy (i.e. buy 2.01 EPROM and swap it in.)

bognerfish

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Thanks a lot for all the information- really helpful, cheers.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey Gang,

I've been following these posts, and this whole thread has been entertaining. Richard, you've pretty much covered all the bases regarding what's been going on here, and yes, you are almost spot-on about the V2.0 upgrade. That upgrade came about because of a few bugs in the original release of the MP-1. There were a few parameters which didn't react well if you went over certain input levels and the MP-1 would make a couple of really unpleasant noises. So they got those issues tamed down in V2.0.

The fact that it coincided with the release of the "Vintage" Split-Stacks was just timing. In the late 80s, more players were talking up a storm about earlier Marshall speakers sounding much warmer and (in their opinions), better than the speakers Marshall was putting out at the time. So in response to this, Dave Tarnowski and Co. started measuring EQ curves from these old speaker cabs and came up with a small EQ filter circuit that they started putting into the Split-Stacks and named them "Vintage" split stack cabs. The truth is they still had the same budget-friendly 50 watt Celestions that the stock cabs had, they just had this extra little circuit in them so you could switch from vintage,(warm), to modern, (not-so-warm) speaker cab tones.

The extra presets included in the MP-1 had a few new tones that utilized the stereo chorus and split stacks to create a wider soundscape with the guitar and a single MP-1 rig, which it does very well by the way. If you added independent delays to each channel like I did, then you started getting into pro rig territory. Add a dry center channel and you're there with all the monster guitar players of the 80's, Van Halen, Vai, Lukather, Huff, etc. Instant Wet/Dry/Wet rig. V2.01 added a few more tones but mostly with the stereo chorus for further stereo rig tones.

As for Nuno, I do recall his rig used a Boss Tuner, Distortion, and EQ pedal on the floor in front of him. I'm not sure about the distortion pedal though. I think it was the Boss SD-1 Overdrive, or maybe SD-2. It was definitely the yellow one, and not the DS-1 distortion.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Harley Hexxe »
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!
Pages: [1]   Go Up