ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: My new MP-1 Demo video!  (Read 1652 times)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: My new MP-1 Demo video!
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Danny,

For what it's worth, even though the camera mic is squashing the sound, it's still gives a pretty good idea what's going on there. It's better than most.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Danny,

For what it's worth, even though the camera mic is squashing the sound, it's still gives a pretty good idea what's going on there. It's better than most.

Thank you Harley I appreciate that!  :wave:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

rickeb1

« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

I *really* love the sound you're getting here (camera mic and all), and of course the spectacular playing!  A question that comes to mind is how much of the tone is a result of using the Marshall
 as a power amp?  I'm wondering how close I could get to your sound with a simple rack power amp (and which one)?  In any case, great stuff!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

I *really* love the sound you're getting here (camera mic and all), and of course the spectacular playing!  A question that comes to mind is how much of the tone is a result of using the Marshall
 as a power amp?  I'm wondering how close I could get to your sound with a simple rack power amp (and which one)?  In any case, great stuff!

Hi Rick and thank you so much for the kind words my friend! As far as the coloring of the effects return on the Marshall jvm it does have a resonance and a presence control which fats things up quite nicely! But I'm actually in the process of ordering another tube Poweramp rack Style so I can hear what it does all by itself. I think I'm going to go with the Mesa Boogie 50/50 which is using 6L6s, I choose this because 35 years ago when I first put my original rack system together I was using the Mesa power amps in the 50/50 was such a sweet poweramp! So when I get my new one I'll make another video and post and share with you guys and we'll do a little comparison!
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Boogies are good strong power amps, a lot of players like them.

VHT/Fryette are also excellent choices for power amps too,

Also, Peavey makes a couple of good power amps. I own a couple of 50/50 Classics that do have a British flavor to them.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Boogies are good strong power amps, a lot of players like them.

VHT/Fryette are also excellent choices for power amps too,

Also, Peavey makes a couple of good power amps. I own a couple of 50/50 Classics that do have a British flavor to them.

Thank you Harley, all great suggestions!

Actually the one I have decided on is the Mesa Boogie Stereo 2:50 because it's switchable between 6L6s and EL34s with no rebiasing! And the fact that it's light weight, only 23 pounds and I think this will be the perfect complement!

But time will tell so I will keep everyone posted!
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Hey Danny,

That does sound like a good choice. I know most of the Boogies are set up for 6L6 tubes and don't really lend themselves for swapping back and forth. I just couldn't remember which model they set up for both kinds of output tubes.

VHT's are hard to find and probably crazy expensive these days. I know when Fryette took over the company, they only made power amps for a short time before dropping that line. Essentially, a re-badged VHT, but I'm surprised how many people didn't know that.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Hey Danny,

That does sound like a good choice. I know most of the Boogies are set up for 6L6 tubes and don't really lend themselves for swapping back and forth. I just couldn't remember which model they set up for both kinds of output tubes.

VHT's are hard to find and probably crazy expensive these days. I know when Fryette took over the company, they only made power amps for a short time before dropping that line. Essentially, a re-badged VHT, but I'm surprised how many people didn't know that.

Yes I always thought the vht was great stuff but you have to like the sound of a kt88 powered tube which I generally do not, I find them incredibly stiff and sterile although incredibly loud! I definitely go with the el34. And you're right about the Mesa Boogie, that was a genius idea on Randall Smith's point to make it switchable from el34s to 6l6s so you can definitely get the best of both worlds! And he was also a genius with having the tubes lie horizontally so that way it only takes up two rack spaces and then weighing only 23 lbs makes it a real hit! I've got my eye on a couple of them right now and I'll end up snagging one in the next month   :banana:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

I wouldn't mind finding one of those myself. I'd love to compare them with the Peavey Classics I have now, although I have to say that the Peavey is a very good power amp with the MP-1 Classic if you use it on a 4x12 cab.

The KT88 is a 6550 class tube, so those can be swapped with each other, and a good set of 6550s sound killer. Expensive though. I have an old Fender amp that takes 6 of those in the output section, and uses a 6L6 for a driver. Yeah, SUPER loud amp at 435 watts.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

I wouldn't mind finding one of those myself. I'd love to compare them with the Peavey Classics I have now, although I have to say that the Peavey is a very good power amp with the MP-1 Classic if you use it on a 4x12 cab.

The KT88 is a 6550 class tube, so those can be swapped with each other, and a good set of 6550s sound killer. Expensive though. I have an old Fender amp that takes 6 of those in the output section, and uses a 6L6 for a driver. Yeah, SUPER loud amp at 435 watts.
I'm trying to remember Harley doesn't that Peavey Poweramp use EL84s?
And yes I could not even begin to imagine in today's market and the price they are getting for tubes what kt88 and 6550s would cost in one of those amps!
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Yes sir!

It has 8 EL84s, 2 ECC81s, and 2 ECC83s.

A sextet of 6550-A tubes with the 6L6 driver tube will run me close to $1000, then I have the 7 preamp tubes as well. 1-12AT7. 1-12AU7, 3-12AX7s, and 2-7025s. Finding good 6550-As is going to be a tricky thing since it's a special design tube Fender had made for that amp.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Yes sir!

It has 8 EL84s, 2 ECC81s, and 2 ECC83s.

A sextet of 6550-A tubes with the 6L6 driver tube will run me close to $1000, then I have the 7 preamp tubes as well. 1-12AT7. 1-12AU7, 3-12AX7s, and 2-7025s. Finding good 6550-As is going to be a tricky thing since it's a special design tube Fender had made for that amp.

Man times like this make it not so much fun playing something special like that - makes you play it sparingly, sadly enough!

Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Not really  Danny,

With good quality tubes installed, (and correctly biased), You can thrash on it and it will take it, and last for a long time.

The Peaveys, are pretty well built and I have to say durable enough for road use. You can take these out and play football with them. It's pretty solid construction. I wouldn't do that with any of my ADA gear though.

As for the Fender, I have three other tube amps from the 70's, and they have been running 20+ years with the tubes that are in them, and still sounding good. The 400PS is in need for a re-tube, and probably wouldn't hurt to have it re-capped and checked out thoroughly, but after that, it can go another 50 years and still kick major booty.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Not really  Danny,

With good quality tubes installed, (and correctly biased), You can thrash on it and it will take it, and last for a long time.

The Peaveys, are pretty well built and I have to say durable enough for road use. You can take these out and play football with them. It's pretty solid construction. I wouldn't do that with any of my ADA gear though.

As for the Fender, I have three other tube amps from the 70's, and they have been running 20+ years with the tubes that are in them, and still sounding good. The 400PS is in need for a re-tube, and probably wouldn't hurt to have it re-capped and checked out thoroughly, but after that, it can go another 50 years and still kick major booty.

Yeah I'm worried about my current MP-1; it's sounds so good and is working so well I almost want to baby it and I worry about ever taking it out of my studio and that's why I have so many people on here how road worthy there MP-1 ones are.

As for tube life I guess it does depend on the manufacturer. Here's a pic of my Marshall EL34 100/100 I sold back in June ( I know and I just got another ADA MP-1 LOL ) but I don't miss the "Hot Plate" as I called it and no matter what tubes and who serviced it I might have gotten a year and a half before the crackling then LOUD popping began! I was so annoyed with that amp and just kept retubing it until last year when the war broke out in Russia and tube prices started going crazy - so I got rid of it.

But good to know about the Peavey which I might consider if I don't snag a Mesa 2:50!

Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

Hey, DJC! Are you still around here?
It's fine to see you again with a working MP1, after all that bad luck with 11 units!!

After we met here, I bought a Quadraverb GT and now I own 2: the best Noise Gate you can desire!
On the run again!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up