ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A dry Marshall picking clip, needs my MP1 magic that I'm waiting for!  (Read 2772 times)

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter

Hey guys here's a quick little video with a real dry stock Marshall sound that will sound even better once I get my MP1, that wonderful analog chorus would add such a nice touch too! Rnolan mentioned I should post this here so enjoy!  :) 

« Last Edit: Time Format by DannyjoeCarter »
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

That was VERY nice, nice sound too. Seems you have also a bunch of Marshall's?

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter

That was VERY nice, nice sound too. Seems you have also a bunch of Marshall's?

Thank you for the kind words JMP  :)  Yes since we last spoke I bought my Wall of Marshalls[size=78%] and the JVM has pretty much been my sound. But I was curious what an MP-1 would sound like into the FX return of the JVMs especially with the Resonance and Presence controls pretty much acting like the BBE Sonic Maximizer did back in the 80s?
So I'll keep you all posted with new clips soon!  :banana:  [/size]
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey DJC, looking forward to hearing the MP-1 into the return, should sound awesome  :thumb-up: :whoohoo!: .
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter

Hey DJC, looking forward to hearing the MP-1 into the return, should sound awesome  :thumb-up: :whoohoo!: .

Fingers crossed!!! We'll know this Saturday!   :banana:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

That's a badass tone, not to mention some awesome riffing! :headbanger:
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter

That's a badass tone, not to mention some awesome riffing! :headbanger:

Hi Harley great seeing you on here again! And thank you so much for the kind words, and yeah it's really hard to go wrong with a straight Marshall tone! This tone should be pretty easy to replicate off my mp1 as well and adding a little bit of that sweet chorus is going to make even more magic!  :banana:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

Oh yeah,

You can nail that tone and a helluvalot more with the MP-1. Hooking it up the way you are planning on doing it, it will definitely be influenced by the Marshall power amp.

I put one of my Classics into the power amp of a SLO 100 many years ago, and the sound still haunts me to this day. AWESOME. It's the only word that comes to mind, but doesn't do it justice.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter

Oh yeah,

You can nail that tone and a helluvalot more with the MP-1. Hooking it up the way you are planning on doing it, it will definitely be influenced by the Marshall power amp.

I put one of my Classics into the power amp of a SLO 100 many years ago, and the sound still haunts me to this day. AWESOME. It's the only word that comes to mind, but doesn't do it justice.

Oh that's great to hear Harley! Yeah with the Marshall JVMs they have an amazing Resonance control as well as the Presence control so it will fatten the MP-1 well hopefully!

That was the only thing I had a hard time with in the late 80s; I ran my rack system, which I was so proud of with all the lush studio tones - until I played for a couple weeks with another guitar player that ran a stock 1982' Marshall JCM 800 with just an Ibanez Tube Screamer in front to if it  :(   :facepalm:  Man I disappeared in the mix LOL!
 SO I'm thinking this could be the best of both worlds - but I'll see soon enough!  :banana:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

Well Danny, that is the thing I found out many years ago with the rack rigs, you have to be careful not to over-process your tone. I'm guilty of the same pleasures.

That's when I started configuring my rig to run parallel effects and keep my core guitar tone(s) intact. I have a couple of ways of doing that. I can split the unaffected sound from the preamp with a Rane SM26, and run the split channels to effects units, and let them come out of independent channels with their own power amps and speakers, or I can just run separate ADA rigs with effect along side the main rig. Either way, I have my cake and I can eat it too.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter

Well Danny, that is the thing I found out many years ago with the rack rigs, you have to be careful not to over-process your tone. I'm guilty of the same pleasures.

That's when I started configuring my rig to run parallel effects and keep my core guitar tone(s) intact. I have a couple of ways of doing that. I can split the unaffected sound from the preamp with a Rane SM26, and run the split channels to effects units, and let them come out of independent channels with their own power amps and speakers, or I can just run separate ADA rigs with effect along side the main rig. Either way, I have my cake and I can eat it too.

Yes sir Harley I think many of us were guilty of effects addiction and all those lush tones and so may times things got lost in the mix.
 And the Rane mixer was my friend later on too!  ;D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

Danny,

It wasn't just the effects, that was just ear candy.

I was so impressed with how much clarity I was hearing in the studio, that I wanted to be able to do that with my rig, so I didn't just go for the effects processors, I also went into the aural processors too, and I admit, it was too much. You just can't get that fidelity from guitar amp speakers.
   Aural exciters, Sonic Hologram Injectors and the like belong in the mixing desk not in the guitar amp. Eventually, I figured out the parallel situation with the effects, and here's what brought it on. I was listening to a playback of a track I had been working on, and realized my guitar sounded very much like Richie Sambora's rig, much to my chagrin. Don't get me wrong, Richie is an awesome player, but his sound on records was too processed. It seemed artificial. That's when I had to re-think my set up. and the answer is simple, get a killer guitar tone and keep it. Then put everything else around it, but keep that tone in the front.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter

Danny,

It wasn't just the effects, that was just ear candy.

I was so impressed with how much clarity I was hearing in the studio, that I wanted to be able to do that with my rig, so I didn't just go for the effects processors, I also went into the aural processors too, and I admit, it was too much. You just can't get that fidelity from guitar amp speakers.
   Aural exciters, Sonic Hologram Injectors and the like belong in the mixing desk not in the guitar amp. Eventually, I figured out the parallel situation with the effects, and here's what brought it on. I was listening to a playback of a track I had been working on, and realized my guitar sounded very much like Richie Sambora's rig, much to my chagrin. Don't get me wrong, Richie is an awesome player, but his sound on records was too processed. It seemed artificial. That's when I had to re-think my set up. and the answer is simple, get a killer guitar tone and keep it. Then put everything else around it, but keep that tone in the front.

OK I see - great approach Harley!
 Hey did you ever get into the Eventide H3000? Man you could lost in a good way into that thing - a wonderful rabbit hole!  :banana-trip:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

With my MP-1 I went for a mixer setup from the start. I've never used the MP-1 loop or had any effects in front.  I used (and still do) a Yamaha AM802 8 ch mixer with 3 sends and run it much like a PA setup. Sends 1&2 to Quadverb and 3 to IPS33 smart shift. And I'd start with just the MP-1 tone and augment that (with parallel effects, predominantly (slight short) delay and reverb).  I was oblivious to other MP-1 users or what they were doing.  I took MP-1 patch 1 (Marshall), tweaked it to what I liked and then set gain and master vol levels for various sounds I needed.  IIRC I did set up a flange patch for Heart barracuda and a long delay with a smooth lead tone (a bit more bass that other patches).  Later I sold the MP-1 and a B200s to MikeB and swapped in a new MP-2 (some say the MP-2 is too complicated, I was in heaven  ::) ).  That rig (8RU) now has a Carvin DCM200L poweramp and also an MB-1 for if/when I play bass, Also has the MP-2 cab sim outs into 2 chs for either recording or if I use the Messa P112 bass cabs which have a tweeter).  And recently I built a new 4 RU rack with MP-2, Midiverb4 in the MP-2 (parallel) loop (first time I've ever used the loop) and B200s, simple and compact  :thumb-up: .
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter

With my MP-1 I went for a mixer setup from the start. I've never used the MP-1 loop or had any effects in front.  I used (and still do) a Yamaha AM802 8 ch mixer with 3 sends and run it much like a PA setup. Sends 1&2 to Quadverb and 3 to IPS33 smart shift. And I'd start with just the MP-1 tone and augment that (with parallel effects, predominantly (slight short) delay and reverb).  I was oblivious to other MP-1 users or what they were doing.  I took MP-1 patch 1 (Marshall), tweaked it to what I liked and then set gain and master vol levels for various sounds I needed.  IIRC I did set up a flange patch for Heart barracuda and a long delay with a smooth lead tone (a bit more bass that other patches).  Later I sold the MP-1 and a B200s to MikeB and swapped in a new MP-2 (some say the MP-2 is too complicated, I was in heaven  ::) ).  That rig (8RU) now has a Carvin DCM200L poweramp and also an MB-1 for if/when I play bass, Also has the MP-2 cab sim outs into 2 chs for either recording or if I use the Messa P112 bass cabs which have a tweeter).  And recently I built a new 4 RU rack with MP-2, Midiverb4 in the MP-2 (parallel) loop (first time I've ever used the loop) and B200s, simple and compact  :thumb-up: .

Wow what an awesome setup! I had the MP-2 back in 94 and liked a lot of the features however I really wanted it for the noise gate but it always seem to have this SPLAT type of cut off which I never figured out. But there were a lot of really cool feature in it. I may have to try and find another one of those too! I also had the MP-1 Classic for a short time but don't remember now much about it other than it had a Brown setting or feature in it.
 So it will be fun to experiment with this stuff again!    :banana:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up