ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Stereo Live Rig setup  (Read 20216 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: Stereo Live Rig setup
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

No I haven't had them seperated in a while.  The last configuration I had them arranged in was to stop coupling which was giving me insane amounts of bass, I mean so much I could feel it in my intestines!!

So the way I moved them eliminated this.  But then only a few weeks ago I moved them again closer together and stacking two 2x12" together.  So this is where I am currently at two 2x12" stacked together left and right but with very little gap seperating both stacks.

I'll test the phase with all the cabs first then perhaps widen the stacks.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

When I use 2 split stacks I always have a gap at least as wide as one cab width if I can, but sharing stages and cabs etc, you do the best you can at the time (in what little time you have to setup  :facepalm: ).  I also like to use milk crates to get the off the stage/floor, this also aims the top speakers more at my ears, so I don't play too loud  >:D (a trait of mine apparently LoL) or too toppy.  These days I've been using the spare split stack which is wired stereo, so just one cab on a milk crate.  It gets a bit flangy as there's no separation between the speakers as they are in the same cab.

@Dante, well all monitor wedges are not made equal LoL, and no doubt the singer gets the good ones.  It also could have been either no eq or bad eq settings on that monitor send, and what amp was being used ? or was it a powered box ?  The MP2 room eq knob helps for these situations, eg full counter clock (bassy) may have saved the day ?
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

It was a powered monitor, cheap plastic housing, sounded crappy. Never again.

When I run in stereo for gigs, I typically tilt my 1x12 cabs back (leaning against the back wall or another amp) to point them at my head onstage. I also like to point them outwards or separate them a good amount. I never hear both speakers unless I go offstage into the crowd, which I do ;)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

When I use 2 split stacks I always have a gap at least as wide as one cab width if I can, but sharing stages and cabs etc, you do the best you can at the time (in what little time you have to setup  :facepalm: ).  I also like to use milk crates to get the off the stage/floor, this also aims the top speakers more at my ears, so I don't play too loud  >:D (a trait of mine apparently LoL) or too toppy.  These days I've been using the spare split stack which is wired stereo, so just one cab on a milk crate.  It gets a bit flangy as there's no separation between the speakers as they are in the same cab.

Well the old saying goes you must be positioned equal to or greater than the distance between the left+right speakers in order to hear the stereo image correctly.  So I should have mine further apart.

I too have three milk crates high for each stack.  And I also adjust treble according to this position as you heap it on if your cab is on the floor and you happen to be of axis all the time.  I plan on getting my stacks higher also by at least another crate each side.  I find cabs at least ear level is the best way to hear yourself.  If I can get a cab up high at a gig you bet your bottom dollar I will.  It has saved my ass many a time with poor monitor mix at shows because I can hear my own amp nice and loud then right behind me. 

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

I always have my cabs sitting directly on the bass cabs, so there's a 4x10 bass cab and a 4x12 guitar cab on each side of the drum kit.  And since I only use the top two speakers in my 4x12 cabs for the guitar anyway, those speakers are at the perfect ear level to me.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

You always put your cabs on bass cabs?  What do you mean?  Then you have another two cabs left and right of the drummer?  So you play using three guitar cabs one in the centre and one on the left and right?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

I think Kim means they put the bass players cabs either side of the drums on the bottom and he puts his on top of them,

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Yep, His over-sized 2x12 cabs  :lol:
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Kim

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

I think Kim means they put the bass players cabs either side of the drums on the bottom and he puts his on top of them,

Yes.  Works very well, too.  Actually the speakers aren't "quite" up at my ear level, but really about at my shoulder-level.  Close enough.   :)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Well FRACK me Kim LoL  :thumb-up: A new meaning to surround sound.

Kim

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

LOL  Well, I rebadged the cabs just for fun.    One is "FRICK" and the other "FRACK". 
While the bassist hasn't rebadged his cabs, we call them "BORIS" and "NATASHIA"   :lol:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

LOL  Well, I rebadged the cabs just for fun.    One is "FRICK" and the other "FRACK". 
While the bassist hasn't rebadged his cabs, we call them "BORIS" and "NATASHIA"   :lol:

GREAT  :lol:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

He needs some name plates  :thumb-up: , (and from men in black 3, "it's just BORIS...")

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Hey Kim,any reason you call them Frick and Frack?

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

Hey Kim,any reason you call them Frick and Frack?
Because Heckle and Jeckle didn't quite fit the bill?
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up