ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Dimarzio Dual Sound = Super Distortion  (Read 14078 times)

El Chiguete

Re: Dimarzio Dual Sound = Super Distortion
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Yeha for sure is an underated pickup... that is fine by me because it meens I can get them cheap! lol

BTW where do you live rabidgerry?
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

I live Belfast,  Northern Ireland (Ireland but the bit still owned by Britain)

How much do you get em for El?

I might be after another one, F spaced.  I'm thinking of airbrushing one I own already in red to match the paint of the axe it's in.

Underated is perhaps the word today for it, or may be forgotten????  But the DP100 or the Dual sound as we are calling it here is a very very very famous pickup, and it's regarded as a classic since it has been used by so many great players (Adrian Smith, Dave Murray, Glenn Tipton, K.K Downing, Ace Frehley, Paul Gilbert, J.J French............................so many more guys)

It's just not used as much these days.  It was the first commercially available replacement pickup so when it came out it made a big impact.  And I'd say it was a big seller right up until the 90's.  I just don't know of anyone now days who still uses them.  I know I do and NOW you do  :thumb-up:

I'll tell you something else!!  It sounds superb clean!!!!  I have some clips to post of another pre amp I own and the clean sound I got from a Squier Showmaster with the DP100 in it was awesome.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

El Chiguete

« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Yeha I think people forgot about them when the manufacturers started doing more specific or artist model pickups and since ALL the great players that you mentioned them are my heroes its just what I need :)

Actually I got this one allmost half price at a local store because it was on an offer since nobody wanted to buy it for loooong time, but even if you go on ebay, amazon or any online musician store is still cheaper than most of the other models.

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

anymore left in this store?

Did you get an F spaced?

Also have you split the pickup?  As in employed a switch so you can go series/parallel/single coil?

I have yet to do this on any of my guitars using the dp100 but I will soon.  I had it on before using another pick up and it's a nice mod.

Yeah K.K Downing and Glenn Tipton are who mainly influenced me to try the DP100  two of my heroes.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

El Chiguete

« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Jaja no more on that store sorry... I would of got the other jejeje.

Its F-spaced that since its on a guitar that the bridge humbucker is slanted it was ment to be used with a regular pickup but this one fits like a glove!

I havent done the split yet but might try it out in the future.

BTW im thinking of combining it with its single coil version on the neck after hearing this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpbGXiw8xLI , now I have a Hot Rails version on the guitar its in and I really dont like the neck tone!

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

ohh well

no harm in asking.

Sorry you confused me about the neck pickup options.

So what do you have in there at the moment?

And you don't like this so you want to put in a super distortion single coil sized version into the neck pickup space?

El Chiguete

« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

The guitar I put in the Super Distortion is a '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom and at the moment it has a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in the neck (when I bought it it had that installed by a previews owner) but im getting too much muddiness from it so I want to change it.

Here is a pic of my guitar, its an old pic when it still had a Floyd Rose II in it the the prev owner also installed but now it has a proper black OFR with big brass block!

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

where is the pic???  I see nothin?

I have an FR II on a strat of mine.  I have actually heard these are decent bridges.  The one I have seems to be all steel as it sticks to a magnet unlike the zinc alloy stuff.  I was going to swap mine out for a schaller but then I learn the FRII's are supposed to be good and apparently some are stamped as in "made in germany".  I can say that it does seem ok and functions well however I will put the big brass block on it at some point.

El Chiguete

« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

I dont know why it didnt upload, here it goes again. Well my version of the FRII is was made of a week alloy and it wasnt double locking so to upgrade back to the OFR that came stock was badly needed!

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

With my DP100 super distortion in the bridge I use a DP180 Air Norton S in the neck. Beautiful tone and 0 muddiness! :thumb-up:
Check it out.
Air Norton S™
DP180
The Air Norton S™ is the Strat® replacement version of the full-size Air Norton™. It’s warm sounding, very well balanced, and has the same unique tonal characteristics as the original. The original Air Norton™ wasn’t designed for a specific position or type of guitar, but it has become most popular in the neck position of trem-equipped guitars for progressive music. The S version is also a very good bridge pickup for all types of rock. Its combination of medium output and harmonic bite are very effective for single-note soloing as well as chords.

Treble: 5.0
Mid: 7.0
Bass: 6.5
Output: 280

Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

I dont know why it didnt upload, here it goes again. Well my version of the FRII is was made of a week alloy and it wasnt double locking so to upgrade back to the OFR that came stock was badly needed!

Is that the original trem that was on that guitar?  Looks like a schaller trem I have on my Korean squier silver series.  Which is a good trem.  Schaller is floyd rose after all, they make their parts (apart from the Korean made stuff).

I only know one way to try test the metal, by magnet.  The cheap crap doesn't stick.  I think with the Trem on my Squier and the one in your photo the base plate is allow, same as a regular schaller (not the all steel lockmeister) but the saddles are steel.  same spec as this

http://guitar-parts.biz/hp135038/Schaller-Tremolo-Right.htm

so alloy base plate steel saddles and steel knife edges (which are interchangeable which is a great idea!!!)

My floyd rose II looks identical to the schaller baseplate on my Silver Series Squier, however the FRII has completely different saddles from the schaller. A lot of this stuff is made in the same factories.

With my DP100 super distortion in the bridge I use a DP180 Air Norton S in the neck. Beautiful tone and 0 muddiness! :thumb-up:
Check it out.
Air Norton S™
DP180
The Air Norton S™ is the Strat® replacement version of the full-size Air Norton™. It’s warm sounding, very well balanced, and has the same unique tonal characteristics as the original. The original Air Norton™ wasn’t designed for a specific position or type of guitar, but it has become most popular in the neck position of trem-equipped guitars for progressive music. The S version is also a very good bridge pickup for all types of rock. Its combination of medium output and harmonic bite are very effective for single-note soloing as well as chords.

Treble: 5.0
Mid: 7.0
Bass: 6.5
Output: 280

Nice one man.  I have been looking for ideas for neck pups you know.  I will keep this in mind.  Although I am a bit of a noisey single coil fan.  I was looking into dimarzios options and I'm not sure which I like the sound off.  Also I need to find them at the right price  :thumb-up:

El Chiguete

« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Is that the original trem that was on that guitar?  Looks like a schaller trem I have on my Korean squier silver series.

NOOOO its not jeje. Originally it came with a black OFR that one on the picture was put in there by some previews owner dont know why... and BTW its a crappy trem for sure!

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Hey El, so that hot rails is an early one and is fine for the neck (I had one in my Profile Tele until I busted it, albeit it's designed as a strat bridge PU) but you should/could change your toggle switches to 3 way (parallel, off, series) at least for the neck and bridge PUs (in parallel it will clean up the mud, or combined series with bridge in parallel  >:D ). Or if you can find an Ultrasonic Ref 3 (again use 3 way toggle) even better (my fav). After I busted mine in the tele I put in a new hot rails (SD say it's the highest output  PU they make), it was way too hot for the neck (much hotter than the older one (which is the same as yours)), but SC got me an Ultrasonic from german evilbay,  :thumb-up: :whoohoo!: . So I think I'll put the new hot rails in the bridge of my (daughters, yeah right) squire strat..
Do you understand PU parallel, series, split coil wirering ? I'm also assuming your guitar has 3 toggles which are just on/off. (and please tell me you've cleaned and oiled the fingerboard since that photo....).

@RG, the bridge looked like a schaller to me as well.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

El Chiguete

« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Jajaja yes that is an olddddddd picture I did, good care cas come after that LOL. I was thinking too it was a bridge model for sue not my taste! Now they are neck fersions of the Hot Rails that might be better but this model has left me with a bad taste in my tone mought jeje.

The vol knob has a push/pull knob for the neck that sounds and I was thinking of adding a Seymour Duncan TS-1 Triple Shot Mounting Ring for the bridge... but those are for secondary tones, I need to find first a neck pickup that I like its main series tone.

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

Hahaha what a f**king legend  :banana-upsidedown:

Isn't Derry a City as well Rusty?

I wouldn't say Belfast was great for rock............except us......but I'm biased :lol:

Rusty I bet we are.  If you have had MP1s since 89 and you have never come across anyone else over here with them then I guess me and you ARE the only two.  So that makes us special nutters man!!  And proper rock monsters, unlike the little assholes and their line6 amps!! jaaaaaaaaaaaaayyysus

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up