ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FINALY figured out the noise problem on my Lexicon MPX G2!!!  (Read 7883 times)

El Chiguete

Guys I'm soooooo exited im going to pop!!!!  :banana-dance:

I've had this unit for a couple of years now but my knowlage of gear has REALLY improved since then that I FINALLY figured out the noise problem I had when I use it in 4 cable method! I was all down to the signal levels  :facepalm: Even tho I tried time and time again to set it up like it says on the manual I allways had a noise when I pluged something in front of the MP-1, the noise it made was a "digital" noise but others said they didn't have that problem at all... infact this unit was design for 4 cable method use so there HAD to be something going on that made this noise. Well as it turns out what I thought was a noise because the SEND signal going from the unit to the input of my MP-1 (I've played with those settings and it helped but the "digital" noise was still there) it was actually because the RETURN signal going in to the unit was getting WAY TO AMPLIFIED, I played with those two settings and what I finish was with -10dB in the SEND signal going out from the unit to the MP-1 and -20dB for the signal going in to the RETURNS of the unit!!! So what do I have now NO NOISE AT ALL!!! 
:banana: :banana-dance: :banana-rock: :metal: :banana-guitar: :homer: :poop: :banana-rasta: :banana-trip: :whoohoo!:

I can now really get in to using all that this unit offers because for some time now I was basicly using it only for delays  :facepalm:.

So there you have it, don't give up on your gear because you just have to learn how to use it with your gear! Now is time to this tube and analog rig with the help of some kick ass digital effects unit to kick the ass of all the newer processors!!!

PS:
I want to give special thanks to Systematic Chaos that he spend a HOLE saturday and sunday texting and video chatting with me to help me up with some other things but that contributed to this too.
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey El,  :whoohoo!: , sooo glad you got it sorted  :thumb-up: , so in the end it just comes down to getting your gain structure right  :thumb-up: (and why I harp on about it  :facepalm: and partly why I use a mixer (essential with MP1 IMO, you can get away with not using one with MP2 coz stereo "parallel" loop, but slightly more tricky). Using a desk with FX/Aux sends makes it all so much easier (well for me, I just run it like I would any PA with a mixer, FXs', poweramps, speakers).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Aaah great to hear  :thumb-up:

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t

Hey El, gain structure and gain stacking can be a bit tricky at times. With my 4 pre's and 2 multi fx & mixer, it took me a couple weeks to get the kinks worked out. Once you do  :whoohoo!: what a great tone!
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

El Chiguete

Yes there should me more (or ANY) videos on youtube on gain staging and tips on how to set old school gear but since now we are not the common rig on most people you dont find that or if you do they are just simple and general tips that  dont help that much.

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

El Chiguete

BTW now that I can explore more with effects before the preamp... now I really undersand what a compressor adds to singing sustain notes!!!

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey El, plenty of tips here re gain structure (don't get me started LoL). I've been harping on about it for ages on this site  :facepalm: :whoohoo!: . Careful with compressors, they have their uses (they reduce dynamic range if that's what you need/want, BTW I call 1.5:1 biggg compression, others may have a different view), and peak limit (to protect things 8:1 seems what people use) but I keep all my signal well under that (threshold). You don't need a compressor for beautiful singing sustained notes, the tubes etc will do it for you and leave you with decent dynamics. Compressors flatten the sound, and take away your attack transients (not good). And yeah help make the sustain happen (you'll tend to loose top end and any edge though). I get very singing sustain notes with no compressor and I keep the dynamic of my playing (soft/hard, gentle/loud).

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento

Awesome! Glad you got it sorted out.

Your solution leads me to suspect those signal levels may be the culprit in my rig too - I have a couple patches that I just can't seem to quiet down. Granted, they're high gain, so there will be some noise, but I don't want the sound man muting my signal between songs because he hears that. I'm gonna investigate this further, hopefully tonight

Thanks El, for the the hint ;)

El Chiguete

2nd time this week I've played from 11pm-1am (at low volume for sure) just getting sucked in to the best tone I've ever had using my rig! ADA rulezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive

I told you....the MPX-G2 wired in 4cm is the totally B!TCH!N

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Go El, like when I bought the JPLP, played it until the sun came up every night...

@SC, your back  :wave: :whoohoo!:
Pages: [1]   Go Up