ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Digitech GSP1101 - Small footprint, huge sound  (Read 19019 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: Digitech GSP1101 - Small footprint, huge sound
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Sounds nice  :thumb-up:

herbyguitar

« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Sounds good. How are your harmonics and sustain with the sim? That's where I always came up short.
Jack of all trades. Master of none.
Gear List: Hell, it changes too fast to keep up with.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

No issues with harmonics and sustain. Note separation/articulation with hi-gain is pretty good and, chords and single notes ring out naturally and dip into harmonic overtones, even when goping direct with headphones. 
The IR I predominantly use for heavy tones is the ValhallIR Mesa 4x12 w/ sE 4400aII Condenser mic or another 3rd party IR of a Mesa 4x12 with a blend of SM57 and KSM313.
Both IRs are a tad bit on the darker/warmer side so I can make best use of the Amp (models) Treble and Presence (which really brings Boogie Mk typology amps to life).

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Lookout, you may get me liking more than just boogie/messa speaker cabs  :facepalm: LoL
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

herbyguitar

« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

...got me rethinking my setup. May have to experiment some more   :P
Jack of all trades. Master of none.
Gear List: Hell, it changes too fast to keep up with.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Lookout, you may get me liking more than just boogie/messa speaker cabs  :facepalm: LoL
Lemme know what you want/need ;-)

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

@herbyguitar @Soloist...you got any chance to check out the patches/IRs I sent you yet?

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

@SC, yes I loaded them in. They sound great through headphones,  not so much through my cabs. Need to tweak them a bit. Way better than the b.s. stock cab sims. Thanks again!
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

So I joined the club guys.

Bagged one for what I think is a good price, £155 excluding postage.

Ok so my rigs for the future will be changing.

Hopefully it will be like this once I get it all sorted.

UK/Ireland Rack Rig:
Power Conditioner
Power Amp              (Rocktron Velocity)
Noise Gate               (Boss NS-50)
Pre-amp                  (MP1 or Rockmaster)
FX Unit                    (Digitech GSP1101)
Midi Control             (Behringer FCB1010)

Flight Overseas rig:
Power Amp                (Rocktron Velocity unless I get this Koch amp)
FX Unit                      (Boss GT5 - preamp in 4cable method)
Pedal Sized Preamp    (Still looking for the right unit)
Pedal Noise gate
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, nice, it's getting there  :whoohoo!: . Any news on the Koch ?

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

I really hope this thing is good with a preamp in the loop.  I didn't buy it to use the on-board pres.

Hey Rich, the last thing I heard from Koch was they answered a lot of my questions, then asked for my address and also my phone number.  I haven't heard anything back since then, which is strange since they were replying fairly promptly before.  I sent them another email then last week asking what was happening?  But as of yet, I have heard nothing.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, I hope it works out for you, I've always liked Digitech stuff (well particularly the IPS33) and other reports indicate it's good.  Though I'd probably chain it (or put it in a preamp loop) but worth trying both ways, whatever works and sounds good (for your live UK/Island rack I'd go with a small desk or 1 RU rack line mixer and run it like a mini PA (like I do)).
For you fly rig, while an expensive(ish) option, an ADA APP1 with MP1 Ch in it's loop (both stomp boxes) could work for you  :dunno: .  How many sounds/patches do you need live ? I currently only use 3, and then mostly 2, anyway an idea...

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

man you always mention that mixer idea, I like that man I do, but I still need something I can setup quite quickly, and if I'm honest I struggle to get my current rig set up on time.  Also adding more gear to the rig adds more potential for something to go wrong.  So right now I'm using a preamp in 4cm and going stereo and that can be a challenge to setup myself during change overs of bands on the night, especially when a band aren't getting off the stage in a hurry or some prick keeps stepping on your leads or in your way whilst rushing to get all your cables run.  So despite that awesome solution (and benefit of running fx in parallel and mixing myself in) it's not viable for me.

I'm already trying to move away from my 4cm utilizing a floor based FX unit purely to get rid of the long cable runs MJMP always warned me about.  On Saturday I played my rig like this:

Guitar > noisegate > Preamp > noisegate > FX Pedal return > FX Pedal Out > Power amp

now usually I do this

Guitar > FX Pedal In > FX Send > Noise Gate > Preamp > Noise Gate > FX Pedal Return > FX Pedal Out > Power amp

The difference was incredible.  A lot more texture depth to my tone doing that.  However I sacrificed the use of the Harmonizer on the pedal by running that way, because the pitch/harmony FX block must utilize the FX unit's input signal to read the pitch, so by me bypassing this I render that functionality useless as well as on board tuner.

So I don't really need to avoid the FX unit input, that wasn't what I was trying to do essentially, but I do want to get rid of that extra long cable run I have within the loop so a quick way to see what that would sound like was to forget the GT5 input and literally go into the preamp in a more direct fashion and go back into the pedal via the FX return.  And I can't exactly have my rack preamp in the floor just to have it close the fx unit to avoid a long cable run.

So I guess this is why I want to get to the point where I have the FX unit in the rack, making all connections short between interchanging devices, that way avoiding a lot of tone suck that I've probably had for a while and not even realised.

Another solution would be to get my FX unit (which is floor based right now) closer to the preamp in the rack, but then I'd have to go right up to the front of the speakers to change patches and turn on/OFF fx etc  unless I could control that unit via midi.  But then why do that as essentially I'd be adding another floor unit to have to worry about it.

So they forward is getting the FX unit into the rack to avoid the cable.  That unit may be the GX700 I own until I get familiar enough with the GSP.

As or flight rig, viable preamps in a pedal.  Man my first choice was MP1 channel, but the prices are  way out of my league so it aint gonna be an MP1 unless someone buy's me one.  The APP1 aint cheap either.

Something by AMT is looking like a more viable pedal preamp option.  I considered this but I cannot switch off the dam speaker sim!  If this could be modded out then I'd have a very marshally analogue SS solution. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marshall-DRP-1-Direct-Recording-Pre-amp-Guitar-Pedal/263634113793?hash=item3d61d15501:g:4HsAAOSwC11ZyRZP
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

*moved to follow ups to new thread*
==> Radial Tonebone Hot British

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, you should be able to pair it down to 1 rack, a midi pedal and one or two cabs.  The only lead you need to run to your feet is a midi cable (if you modify your FCB to be phantom powered) or cable tie/or tape a midi cable and power cable together (this is what Mike does with his FCB).  Everything you need can be in the rack and already connected.  I have a 8RU rack with everything in it (mixer is velcroed to the bottom of the rack), so all I have to run is 2 speaker cables, a 7 pin midi lead (to my MXC) and plug the guitar into the preamp (in my case MP2).  I modified an ADA split stack to be stereo or mono, so setup/pack down is quick and easy. I'd like to replace my mixer with a 1 RU rack unit but I haven't found one with enough Fx sends, I could get by with just 2 (or a stereo pair), but more sends allows more units (not that I'm needing them).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up