ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I just got a MP-1!!  (Read 11196 times)

kips1963

I just got a MP-1!!
« on: Time Format »

Hi there! First post!

Last week I received an old MP-1, and this weekend I found the time to hook it up in the FX loop of my JCM800.
Holy f*ck! This thing *does* get you those great '80's guitar sounds! It's the sound that I never could quite get from my Marshalls or even from my Friedman... Given the fact that I got this MP-1 for only 170 dollar or something, that's pretty amazing, I think....! I really love the chorus too, it gives the overdriven sounds a nice Boston shimmer.

I am now totally committed to start using this jewel live. I have a TC Electronic G-major 2 and a FCB1011 pedal board. But relatively ignorant using MIDI, unfortunately... Oh well, I'm sure this board is full of info on how to get the Major and the MP-1 to talk to the floor board? Hope so...

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Re: I just got a MP-1!!
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Have no fear, you will get lots of midi advice from the group in here. Welcome!

You have all you need to construct a very nice rig. Run your amp clean and use your MP-1 for all your tones. You'll be amazed. I run my MP-2 through the FX loop of my FX device (search for the Four Cable Method or 4CM), but straight into the input on my Boogie.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey Kips

Welcome to the depot!

No problem with help here,just start asking questions and you wil get lots of anwsers. :thumb-up:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey Kips, welcome to MP1 heaven LOL, IMO you should make the MP1 you main tone generator and use your Marshall as a power amp (use loop return as input ? (unfortunately mono)). Although have a read around here, the MP1 sounds even better  >:D in stereo (will rock your world...). Don't use it in a loop (you can, and it will works well but it was designed to be your main preamp (MP1/2 best ever preamps IMHO) but some here use it as/like a "stomp box" in a loop (as I say works and each to their own but not optimal again IMO), just add stereo FX and clean transparent stereo poweramp, 2 cabs (or stereo cab)) well I'm still addicted LOL. For patching with TC G Maj, check out MikeB MP1 posts and some of the experimenting he and I did and also ADA GCS-3 cab sim in MP1 loop for recording (or direct to desk).

Anyway welcome, lots of passionate help around here  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Crabs

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Welcome to the forum!

kips1963

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Thanks for the warm welcome here, guys. Appreciate it! It seems there's still lots of love for the old ADA... Then again, the '80's hardrock sound is simply the best guitar sound ever invented!
What would be a good power amp for the ADA to start with? I think something with EL34's? Like a Marshall 9100? But that thing is bloody heavy to carry around... I'd love to go stereo, but I'm lugging around too much gear now already! :-( Two cabs on stage will not make me popular with my band mates, I'm afraid...
I'll do some reading on MIDI, although I'm still baffled about how I'm supposed to get my FCB1011 to change settings on my MP1 *and* the G-Major at the same time..??

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey Kips, MikeB has same set up (MP1, GMaj, FCB1011), so he can help you with the more complex possibilities (the FCB is a many splendid thing but Mike's got it worked out). Basically (using 5 pin midi cables) you plug the FCB midi out into MP1 midi in and either MP1 midi out or MP1 midi through into the GMaj midi in. When you send a midi patch change from FCB (step on a button) it goes to MP1 and also GMaj and they both change to that patch number.  The difference between MP1 midi out and through is you can configure the MP1 to send out a different number than what it receives (midi out, but default is 1-1 mapping), midi through just goes straight through and is the same number the MP1 midi in received.

Good poweramp option is Carvin DCM200 (1 RU, very lite ~1.5 kg IIRC) very clean and transparent (which is what you want for MP1/2). There's quite a few posts here on the topic, RabbidGerry has been checking out another 1RU unit that also looked good. Don't go tube poweramp unless you are ok with the weight, my Carvin TS100 (great amp) but very heavy (nearly as heavy as Dante's car LOL). For your cab, depending what it is, how many speakers and their power handling capacity, you can wire it in stereo like I did with my old Yamaha quad box. Not "quite" as good as 2 separate cabs but good enough. Thats the cab I used on Reverends Rock in the MP1 clips posts. I currently use an ADA slant split stack (2 x 12" Celetion 70w speakers) wired in stereo, works a treat with the 50w per side TS100. I also have 2 other split stacks with 90w Boogie Celetions in them, which I used with ADA B200s (also a great amp for MP1/2, 2RU again clean transparent SS amp). But more than I need to lug around for now so they tend to stay at home.

MikeB

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hi kips,
Welcome to the depot.  Richard is correct. I have a very similar setup to you.  First question is,  when you say "fcb1011", is that a modified version of the fcb1010?  I found a couple of references to that on the net with some people who had put in the Avid 11 rack eprom and were calling it the fcb1011. In which case, I'm not going to be 100% familiar with how it operates. However, it will do roughly the same kind of thing. I have put the Uno eprom into mine to enhance the operation of the pedal to suit my needs.  It behaves slightly differently but is basically the same beast.

The basic midi layout of the mp1 and the TC are slightly different. Mp1 has 12 banks of 10 presets and the TC has 100 presets.  There are a number of ways to get to the desired end result with your gear ie. "I want preset X on the mp1 and preset Y on the TC.".  You can line up with matching numbers so that you send a program change with the fcb and both the units change to the same thing.  This will lead to some duplication if you want to use the same TC effects settings for two different mp1 presets and vice versa, but it is the simplest thing to get your head around. Midi out from fcb to midi in on mp1.  Then midi through on mp1 to midi in on tc.  You can run it the other way around as well: into tc and then through to mp1.  You just need to make sure that everything is talking on the same channel. I can't remember what the fcb was like out of the box.  I went straight into programming it.  Hopefully it is just sending out program change numbers that match the bank and preset number.

Once you want to start mixing and matching your presets in a more complex way, you have three options.  Each of the devices,  mp1, tc and fcb can do that job.   I let the fcb do the mixing and matching.   My mp1 and tc are blissfully unaware of each other. They even listen on different midi channels.

Fire away with any specific questions.   I'll do my best.
Mike
I don't feel tardy!

kips1963

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hi Mike,

You rule man! I can't believe how helpful people are over here...! Thanks a lot!
When I wrote 'FCB1011', I actually meant just the ordinary FCB1010. As you can tell, I haven't had the FCB1010 for too long...;-)
Anyway, I'm still a little undecided on what pat I want to follow: working with TCE patches for every MP1 sound, or using the first row of my board as a stompbox, switching on and off all the TCE effects that I need to add to the MP1 sound.
I read that you need a different EProm chip for that option? But will this not affect the cc signal to the MP1...? I don't need a whole lot of MP1 sounds, 4 or 5 will suit me fine.
Perhaps it's better if you mail me your personal mail address? So we can discuss this in further detail?
Thanks again!!!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

The mp-1 doesn't recognize CC commands,only program changes.

MikeB

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

That's right.  You can send as many Change Control messages to the TC as you like and the mp1 will ignore it all.  There are many ways that you can skin the FCB1010 cat and I'm happy to help get you started.  I'll send you a personal message so that we can take the non-ADA stuff offline.

I have modified my FCB1010 with the UnO Eprom.  So now instead of 10 banks of 10.  I have 20 banks of 5 (the front row of pedals).  The back row all now act like stomp boxes, sending CC messages to the TC to switch the various effects blocks on and off.  The back row lights will be on if an effect block is active and the Preset switch on the front row will stay lit to reflect which patch you have selected.  All of this you can do with the original Eprom, the main difference being that you only have 10 banks and the lights on the pedals will only light up the last pedal you pressed.  I only have about 5 basic mp1 sounds and I want to see which effects blocks are active at any given time, so the UnO eprom suits me perfectly. 

I have 4 banks on the mp1.  Each with my basic 5 sounds.  One bank for my Les Paul using a quad box.  One for my Strat using the quad box.  One for the Les Paul using the cabinet simulator and lastly one for the strat using the cab sim.  I have an ADA GCS-3 cab sim in the effect loop of the mp1.  The loop is switched off for the first two banks and switched on for the other two. 

In addition to that, I was unhappy with the TC's AD/DA conversion of the lovely mp1 tones, so I run the TC in a parallel loop using an ART SplitMix.  This strips out some of the functionality of the TC, but preserves that sweet tone. I honestly didn't think I would notice the difference, but I did.  And if I can hear the difference then it has to be pretty bad.

I'm still fiddling with my patches to get them just right.  Recently I had them pretty well sorted and then the battery died on me so I had to start from scratch.  :facepalm: I heartily recommend that you put a new battery in your mp1 and back up your patches.  I can't describe the feeling that comes from losing a patch that you love. :'(

Mike
I don't feel tardy!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Or write the patches (you care about) down. Has saved me a few times LOL.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey Mike

Maybe make a new topic about the FCB1010.Since this is a popular pedal other people can also enjoy your knowledge?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Hey Mike, I set up a new child board under "Step on It" (http://adadepot.com/index.php?board=54.0) for non-ADA foot switches. I agree with MJMP, your knowledge and experience with the FCB1010 will help anyone who has one or is thinking to get one.  From what I've read in you posts and chats we've had about them, they are a pretty special pedal and take some getting you head around, a bit like Prolog LOL.

MikeB

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

well all right. I'll get onto it then. Thanks, guys.
I don't feel tardy!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up