ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone here boost their ADA MP1?  (Read 62778 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: Anyone here boost their ADA MP1?
« Reply #120 on: Time Format »

Wasn't so much to see whether it was good or not gear just was wondering is something else thinning out the sound in the chain.  Try MP1 into power amp by itself.  You never know.

Your gear probably more expensive than mine  :lol:

also what number you got the bass at with the MP1 eq?  Mine is like -2 in my DI set up which I will make the forth coming clip from.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Rusty

« Reply #121 on: Time Format »

Naw, sorry RG, I didn't mean how good the gear was, just meant that it should be good enough to deliver good enough bass frequencies.

RE: what number you got the bass at with the MP1 eq?  16, up full RG.

-2 on your's, h'mmm,   :dunno:,  I need to do some investigation.

No worries,
« Last Edit: Time Format by Rusty »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #122 on: Time Format »

Defo something not right there then, I have tonnes of bass on each unit.  Let us know what you find on the investigation.

Just got the old Flying V strung up today, haven't played it in 10 years!!  Might do these clips with it and a Stagemaster.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #123 on: Time Format »

I find 60Hz way too low for guitar, good for bass but for me the low end freq is between 100-160Hz.

My setting of bass on the MP-1 is 6 to 9, I usually use 6 for band practice and live and 9 when I'm playing alone. The bass player has to fill the low end, not the guitar.

Just made a sim of the original vs your values, check it out. My guess is you will loose even more bass.Green is original red is your value.
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

Rusty

« Reply #124 on: Time Format »

I find 60Hz way too low for guitar, good for bass but for me the low end freq is between 100-160Hz.

My setting of bass on the MP-1 is 6 to 9, I usually use 6 for band practice and live and 9 when I'm playing alone. The bass player has to fill the low end, not the guitar.

Just made a sim of the original vs your values, check it out. My guess is you will loose even more bass.Green is original red is your value.

Very good MJMP,

I have measured the resonant frequency of both of my speakers in my 2x12 cab, They both measure 75Hz.

I think I’ll use 75Hz as my target frequency and change R165 Bass Warp again to see how things go.

I am not using bode plotting software at the moment, just pencil to paper and a calculator.

@ my target of 75Hz and given the formula for fc = 1/(2πCR), rearranging for R, Ω,s, =  R = 1/( 2πfC) = 21.22KΩ

I’ll change out the 10KΩ trimmer pot for a 22KΩ one if I can find one, or the nearest higher value and see how things go.

RE: “My guess is you will loose even more bass”  ?  Why is that, may I ask ?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Rusty »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #125 on: Time Format »

ok a rough Hell Bent for Leather.  Ok Ok I copped out as I only learnt part of the solo (the easy bit).  I think tonally it sounds pretty good.

So that's my MP1 (MDRT fitted) boosted with a dallas rangemaster clone type pedal.

Let me just add, I stole the actual drum track and bass guitar from youtube.  You get some nice isolated tracks on there these days.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #126 on: Time Format »

Here's a solo with the boost off initially and then the boost on.  Forgive the whammy flutter ending, still trying to crack that, the bar keeps moving as I try to flick it and I'm trying to keep the strings quiet apart from the one I want to sound obviously.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #127 on: Time Format »

RE: “My guess is you will loose even more bass”  ?  Why is that, may I ask ?

Well if you look at the bode plot your -3dB point is at 50Hz, at 100Hz you already lost around-8dB, for guitar that is the bass range.Even at 70Hz it's too low IMHO.

@Gerry, nice tone and good playing, very close to the Priest sound.
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #128 on: Time Format »

Thanks MJMP,  I was trying to get that as close.  Before I got the Rangemaster boost pedal I was using a Tubescreamer copy with all the drive turned down and simply using the volume and tone control.  It also had similar results.  Perhaps even more of a Mid hump.  I really love those tone.

Listening back with or without the boost isn't so audible, but the feel is completely different when actual playing, so using the boost it's awesome, more liquid I guess.

Rusty

« Reply #129 on: Time Format »

Yea, Nice sounding RG.  8) Only one thing though, and it's me. My headphones are £ shop jobs, with and without boost seems the same on these pieces of junk.   :) 

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #130 on: Time Format »

Yea, Nice sounding RG.  8) Only one thing though, and it's me. My headphones are £ shop jobs, with and without boost seems the same on these pieces of junk.   :)
  You notice when playing.  I don't have it blasted either, I could push a lot more but I really was going for the Priest tone of that era hence doing the Hell Bent for Leather track (boost the whole way).  It's just adding an ingredient and getting a tiny bit more distortion as well as just that bit of bite.

Rusty

« Reply #131 on: Time Format »

Well if you look at the bode plot your -3dB point is at 50Hz, at 100Hz you already lost around-8dB, for guitar that is the bass range.Even at 70Hz it's too low IMHO.

H'mmm,  I see that, I'm gonna have to come up with a solution.

OK, it's back to the drawing board.

Thanks MJMP.

Rusty

« Reply #132 on: Time Format »

You notice when playing.  I don't have it blasted either, I could push a lot more but I really was going for the Priest tone of that era hence doing the Hell Bent for Leather track (boost the whole way).  It's just adding an ingredient and getting a tiny bit more distortion as well as just that bit of bite.

Yea RG, definitely a nice tight sound and not too high gain. good sounding axe and playing too I may add. It would be very controlable at a high volume too I would say.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #133 on: Time Format »

That's my Squier Cobalt Metallic Blue Stagemaster and my Tokai Cherry Red FV40.  Tokai on the left Squier on the Right.  The FV40 is a 67 Flying V copy.  It's not mahogany though so it gives a different sound.  It is thru neck but it's alder so has a brighter tone I believe.  The Stagemaster is also Alder.  Stagemaster weighs a tonne compared to the V.  It does have a Licensed Floyd with big brass sustain block after all.  FV40 i swapped the nut out for a bone one and the bridge for a Tone Pros I believe the brand is.  Sounds great, lots of harmonic content but the chrome finish is weak and started to come off one of the saddles.  Stagemaster at high volume is well behaved at high volume but you still need a good gate.  Haven't played the FV40 in years, so have no idea what it would be like through my current set up.  Probably good, less bits that can move on that guitar and I potted the pickups in their chrome covers myself.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #134 on: Time Format »

H'mmm,  I see that, I'm gonna have to come up with a solution.

OK, it's back to the drawing board.

Thanks MJMP.

That's why I always use bode plots so you can "see" how it sounds  :)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up