ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Earthquaker Devices  (Read 5974 times)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Earthquaker Devices
« on: Time Format »

Hello Gang,

I'm starting this thread because I know these stomp boxes, and have found some amazing little gadgets that took me by surprise when I auditioned them. I'm starting this thread because of the discussions of the new ADA gear that is on the market now, i.e. ADA Definition Pedal being one in particular that I'm focused on.

ADA describes this pedal as a transparent boost for your current sound. Earthquaker Devices makes two pedals that cover this area quite nicely. Black Eye, and Speaker Cranker.

Black Eye is a completely transparent volume booster that does not color or affect the sound you put in it. What you put in, is what you get out with up to a 70 db boost. This little box goes for $125 USD.

Speaker Cranker is similar, but it gives me more of what I was after...
One of the things I've missed, even with the old rack gear, is the sound of a great vintage amplifier that really started to breath and respond to your guitar when you cranked it up to a really loud volume! ( Fender Twin, Marshall Super Lead 100) This is what you get with the Speaker Cranker. It adds a slight boost, with a bit of vintage tube breakup, without drastically changing your sound. There is only one knob on this little box, "More," which allows you do dial in the desired amount of tube breakup.
This little box goes for $105 USD.

Earthquaker Devices makes a wide variety of effects. Check them out at: www.earthquakerdevices.com

Harley :thumb-up:
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

El Chiguete

Re: Earthquaker Devices
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

How did you connected it to your rig? Where in the chain did you placed it?
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

EC,

I'm still experimenting with what to use, and in what signal path. The Speaker Cranker, I'll use right in the front just like you would an old vintage amp without an effects loop and that is for the MP-1 Classic, and MP-2. With the MP-1, and 3TM, I'm still goofing around between the front and the loop. I'm undecided where I think it sounds better at this point. As soon as I can, I'll try to get some pics of my rigs in the studio, but I'll give you a basic idea how I'm setting things up now.
I'm modeling the signal paths of this rig after Eric Johnson's rig setup, i.e. signal paths split up via A/B switches to 3 different rigs. I don't have A/B switches, I have A/B/Y switches, and the rigs are as follows:
Rig 1, The Fender Amps with their own dedicated effects and a Leslie Model 760 with one A/B/Y switch to take the Leslie out when I don't need it. The Fenders is where I mostly use the stomp boxes.
Rig 2, The MP-1 Classic, Microtube 200, and it's own dedicated rack effects processor, (for now), and Split-Stack Cabs.
Rig 3, The MP-2, Microtube 200, and its own dedicated rack effects processor, and another set of Split-Stack Cabs.

I'm also gearing up my Monster rack with an original MP-1 and 3TM, with their own dedicated ADA rack effects in each, to swap out rigs 2 & 3 mentioned above. I may use Microtube 200's or B-200S's for this rack, but they will still feed the Split-Stack Cabs either way.

From the Guitar, no matter which configuration I use, It will be the guitar> ADA Flanger Pedal(optional)>Wah>Speaker Cranker> A/B/Y switch>A/B/Y switch> to the Amplifiers.

Sound confusing? It really isn't. It actually gives me a better sound when the rigs are all dialed in with each other  :thumb-up:

Harley

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, interesting setup(s). I'm wondering if the flanger would be better after the wah (although I'm assuming you tried that ? Not sure if you spotted it but Steve (RandallRG) is selling an ADA Digital delay (US voltage) for very good price (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=1196.0).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Richard,

Yes, I saw that, I have two Digitizer 4's already, but only one foot controller. They are cool delays though, the program storage makes it nice to call up anything you saved in a hurry. One of mine looks like his, the other one looks like it went to war!

Harley

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Richard,

Yes I used to have the Flanger After the Wah. Years ago when I was using a MXR Phase 90, I had it there and the effect was too prominent! I put it before the Wah and that mellowed it out! I just put the Flanger before the Wah to see how that would work out and I liked it. Realistically, the ADA Flanger has much better controls on it so I could put it after the Wah if I wanted to and dial the effect down. But then again, I like the effect of the Wah to the Flanged lead tone.

Harley 8)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I"m gonna have to check out the Earthquaker Speaker boost. I had a Sparkle Drive (thanks to Chucky) and liked it very much for the 'clean boost' but never really used it much. I am intrigued by your description

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Dante,

For the clean boost, I tried the Black Eye in the store, and it is exactly that. What ever you have going in, is what you get out with no coloration, and one hell of a boost range if you want to get that extreme.

The Speaker Cranker is something I found to be a bit more useful in the sense that it gives more of that wide open amp sound at lower volume levels which I find hard to get from most other pedals. There are some video demos of it here.

http://earthquakerdevices.com/shop/Speaker%20Cranker/cat/13099

I'm definitely getting one of these, and possibly a few more of their gadgets if I just want to use the old Fender amps.

Harley 8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up