ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP2 Wah issues.  (Read 16895 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: MP2 Wah issues.
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Yeah I'm a convert for many years now, the MP1 was/is great, I find the MP2 even better  :thumb-up: and the cab sim outs are great for recording.  I have 2 MP2s, same tubes but they both sound a little different.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

kawai2g4b

« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

So it has been a long time since I last updated on this thread but the original wah-malfunction MP2 is undergoing it's long-delayed repairs and upgrades that I have intended to have completed.  Long story short: upgrading op-amps and noise mod, fixing the longstanding wah sweep issue (MJMP I will inform you of what caused this once it's done).  Afterwards I will give you guys an idea of what the mods do for the sound of the MP2 as I will compare it with my other one.  I'm hoping for something truly sick!  :whoohoo!:
Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Cool  :thumb-up: looking forward to hearing about the results. A good working MP2 is what floats my boat  >:D

kawai2g4b

« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Finally, the long awaited (from my self at least) results of the mods:

The Tone Doctor of Houston, TX did an op amp upgrade, replaced a work filter cap, and performed a noise mod on my wah-plagued MP-2. Unfortunately I will have to track down a new chip to get the wah in order.  But as long as I have a wah pedal, it's only window dressing. Here are my impressions:

1. The tone really opened up.  The overly muddy bass frequencies were fixed.  Now I can really chug when I palm mute without thudding even at the highest gain settings.  Treble breakup is a lot more natural, though definitely still in the Marshall camp. The tone is no longer compressed like my other MP2 is at similar EQ variances.  Even my darker sounding guitars really shine as well as the telecaster bastards that I normally use these days

2. With the noise mods, the noise gate is no longer getting heavy use, except for rhythm playing at the most extreme gains.  It's like I am dealin with a whole new beast that I no longer have to fight against at times.

3. Clean channels have a little bit more sparkle. As I record R&B as well as my usual metal diet, this is also a very welcome result.

Overall I got exactly what I was looking for when I sought out the mods.  I would recommend it if you do wish to go the same route.  All thanks to Tone Doctor on this one.  :banana-rock:
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Good news indeed  :thumb-up: Wouldn't mind a detailed break down of exactly what they changed etc  :wave:

kawai2g4b

« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Will have to see about that next time I come across him I have two more projects lined up.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

No worries, but I'd like to know the details so I can consider for my 3 MP2s, I'm trying to modernise them and future proof them as much as possible.

But very glad yours is performing so well, actually, at the moment, all of mine seem to be doing fine but I'm about to embark on some upgrades, go a bunch of parts now and been practicing my desoldering skills.  Did he do the same noise mod as the kit MJMP put together (21 caps and new 1 % R913 )?? Also keen to know the opp amp details, well everything really  >:D

Hanneman213

« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Hello.

My wah is not working also. I change the parameters of all kind of wah types but nothing works. Any news for this topic?
ESP Standart V>ADA MP2>TC G Major2>ADA Ampulator>Rocktron Velocity>Mesa Rectifier1x12

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Did you try to repalce the 2 opamps U205 and U207 (OPA2604AP)?

Hanneman213

« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

I have bought my mp2 1-2 months ago and no idea where these things placed in the board. Today I looked at the schematics but I understand nothing. I am just a plug and play guy. I think I have to learn some technical stuff.

Will It be funny If I attach the picture of the board to get help from you ?
ESP Standart V>ADA MP2>TC G Major2>ADA Ampulator>Rocktron Velocity>Mesa Rectifier1x12

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

see pdf,now you need to get OPA2604AP opamps nothing else,these are the only opamps i know that can have +-24V supply voltage.Now these are easy to replace since they are in a socket.Just make sure you insert them the right way.

Hanneman213

« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Many many thanks. I have searched these opamps in local stores but couldn't find yet. I will look 1-2 more place here, if I can not,I will order from abroad..

I think you've marked another circuit upwards what is that ?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

That R913 which can go up in value and causes the voltage regulator to fail.Resulting in a lot of noise and other problems.Maybe while you're at it replace that one with a 240k 1/2W metal film resistor.It will fail sooner or later.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up