ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Line 6 HD500  (Read 10157 times)

El Chiguete

Line 6 HD500
« on: Time Format »

Who uses or has used one with a MP-1? I'm thinking on getting one.
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Chucky

• Long Live JURRRRIIIIIIE!!!!
Re: Line 6 HD500
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I tried one last year...
I was thinking maybe I should go Line6-something-without-tubes-practical-solid-simple-stock
for all the international gigging I do.

But I just cannot stand Line6's fake stuff and modeling in general.
I think I'm doomed to remain an all-tube user.

Unless I get some stupid $$$ and then buy an Axe-FX or a Kemper amp.
But if I get a lot of dough, I will still keep the tubey set-ups and hire roadies.

So there it is.
EMGs suck my energies.

El Chiguete

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Well my plans wouldn't be to use the modelling part that much (I'nm too stuborn to think of myself not using a real amp). I want to conect my MP-1 in it's loop and have it set up for 4CM.

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Im with Chucky in terms of Line 6.....to me, that stuff still sounds "modelled" and like a toy.
For your desired setup, either go for a MPX-G2, a used AxeFX (Standard) or check out a Boss GT-Pro.
I use the MPX-G2 and donĀ“t plan to get anything else in the near future.

brianiac5150

• This Hate of Mine
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

After stupidly getting rid of an MP-1 which faithfully served me for 10+ years several years ago, I finally got one back last night and am stoked.

That said; I own a POD HD500 / JTV69SSS rig and have very successfully used it at two shows recently, as well as in the studio.  As with many of these devices, the stock stuff really doesn't help the average user or try-her-out'er, 'cause they're typically connecting it to a guitar amp and all the connectivity is 'off'.  Once you get your hands on one of these, learn how it works - especially connected direct to a mixing console, where it really shines - and invest in it the exact same way we MP-1 lovers do, I think you'll be happy with your purchase.  It is an excellent tool, however, not a replacement product for analog bliss, IMO.

If the intent is to connect the MP-1 as the preamp, simply connect the POD into the MP-1's FX loop, MIDI connect everything and program it for patch/preset changes to turn the MP-1 loop off/on with whatever FX in the POD per preset.

Of course, one could still 4CM and then have all the 'in front' capabilities and routing of the POD with the MP-1.  The connectivity capabilities of the POD are extremely useful.

If you have the cash, I say get it and enjoy.  It's another tool in the woodshed.
THoM Faceb**k
ADA MP-1 Original

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Our dear departed friend Randall Haney used an HD500 and raved about it. He too was amazed at the connectivity options and he did run his into his mixer and used his MP-2 as a preamp only. I am not a fan of modeling stuff either, I side with Chucky and SystematicChaos on that - they don't seem to cut through a live mix very well. That said, it seems that using the Line6 as an effects device only may be an option.

So, if anyone gets a screamin' deal on one, it may be worth checking out.

DaveM

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I've had great results using Line6 products via 4CM.  In my case it's the M13 with either a Mark-IV or Egnater TOL-50. 

I agree with others regarding the modeling.  In my experience the models themselves, especially the distorted ones, struggled to cut through the mix. 
HEADS: Mesa Boogie Mark-IVa, Egnater TOL-50
RACK: ADA MP2, Peavey Classic 60/60
PEDALBOARD: Line6 M13, MXR Carbon Copy, Fulltone FD-2 MOSFET, "Slash" WAH, Morley Lil Alligator, Digitech Jamman
CABS: Avatar and Genz-Benz
GUITARS: Ibanez, Fender & Schecter
WIRELESS: Line 6 G50
STUDIO: Cubase 6.5, Focusrite interface, M-Audio MCU-PRO DAW controller, Novation Impulse controller, KRK monitors, AKG phones, reamping courtesy of Radial

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

One can certainly argue for the convenience of the HD500, particularly when matched with a Variax guitar and a DT50 amp.  Steve Howe for example has replaced his touring gear; on the other hand, he's got technical support to develop whatever tone he wants.

Offsetting the convenience is the quality of the tone and effects; it's pretty good, but falls short of the real thing.  I think the AxeFX and Kemper do a better job.

I've tried using the HD500 with my ADA equipment (4CM), but it just doesn't seem to add any value for me.
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

I'm yet to hear any tone cloning I'd use live.  A friend has an AxeFX which he says is great for the studio but doesn't have the dynamics of a tube input circuit.  At least the AxeFX uses fractal algorithms so it clones better than most.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

brianiac5150

• This Hate of Mine
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I've used the JTV/HD500 rig live recently and the sound man (a damn good one), other band's guitarist - who I let use it, along with everyone I talked with in the crowd - many of whom were guitar/music friends I hadn't seen in quite some time - all had great things to say about the tone.  The sound man was really surprised, as he's an old-school guy who's not put much, if any effort into learning about new gear technologies.

It certainly is NOT a real amp scenario, though, from the player perspective - both in feel and in set-up and tear-down time.  Done at 2am, gear packed in warming up car at 2:15am.  The important thing I've done is keep the POD's rigs to a minimum with regard to presets.  Mostly Volume > Wah > Amp/Cab/Mic: done.  There are times when some modulation is used, as well.  The acoustic side of the whole thing was really surprising to everyone, as well.  Especially running through a full-range PA.  Single note and completely fretted string chords sounded astonishing, all things considered.  Without carrying on about the issue here (go to L6 forum for more): there remains the open-string ringing issue with acoustic tones.

Anyway...yesterday I had the chance to attempt using the HD500 as the MIDI pedal and FX with my MP-1.  Out of the gate, it was a no go for the MIDI channel changing aspect and I didn't have/want to take the time to suss that out with the limited free time I had: kid was at the grandparents' home.  Button 1 selected preset 1, button 2: preset 2, button 3: preset 99, button 4: preset 99, same with all that followed.  I'm certain it could be made to work, however, am not certain I want to set up my rig this way.  Having a rack mounted FX unit, controlled by 7-pin powered Rocktron MIDI Mate commands to and through the MP-1 was always such a clean method and is likely the way I'll end up going.

I also spent (most of my) time working with the MP-1 into Two Notes Torpedo CAB.  AWESOME!  If you're not familiar with Two Notes products, you should be.  I could really carry on about how fun and great sounding these things are and work extremely well with the MP-1.  I've not worked out the MIDI aspect of those two together, yet, however, remain confident that'll be a whole other level of awesomeness.
« Last Edit: Time Format by brianiac5150 »
THoM Faceb**k
ADA MP-1 Original

darralld

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

I have the XT Live. I tried it in the loop of my MP-1 just for the effects and didn't like it. The 500 may be better. The XT set up through a PA sounds awesome. Through an amp, not so much.

El Chiguete

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

I also spent (most of my) time working with the MP-1 into Two Notes Torpedo CAB.  AWESOME!  If you're not familiar with Two Notes products, you should be.  I could really carry on about how fun and great sounding these things are and work extremely well with the MP-1.

Can you give more info on this on another thread that I started http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=159.0

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

mike_mp-1

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

I have a friend who had an older XT live floor unit, he has a nice les Paul, 72 I believe with dimarzio SD in neck and bridge.
At Practise the tones are very good, since he has a hybrid Marshall single combo 12", with a pre-amp tube and solid state output, the sounds are nice and creamy and in a practise session seems to be a very nice mix, even though when he solos he has to blast the volume more to get the dynamics and be heard.

I am using a Marshall DFX50 with a Zoom 9.2tt tube peddle for practise, and same thing, together for practising seems to compliment one another, but for live, different story.

With his rig, even though the tone is pretty decent, he never cuts through the mix, it is not defined and needs to be cranked way up to really get any dynamics and then of course, the mix gets messed up.

I used the Marshall DFX-50 once live and that was good enough not to ever use it again...lol

Friend recently bought a Line 6 HD300, since his older peddle bit the dust, the sound is much better, but still processed, but again at practise not a big deal, live, again different story.

When I use the Zoom pedal with a tube head and 2x12 cabs, the sound is much different. Cutting through the mix with no issues, the dynamics are much better, and of course, the feel is totally different.

My friend, well, sweet tone, but in a live mix, he totally always gets lost and he is the lead player.

The Zoom through a tube head sounds pretty decent, can mimic many tones and pretty good enough for my needs, but I am wanting to fire up the MP-2 again with 4C method and give it another whirl.

Peace

Panagiotisrx7

• musicteachers
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

I believe the "modelling" stuff can give you some decent sounds if you tweak them enough. I wouldn't go back after trying the ADA and in general the analogue way though (maybe the AXE could be an exception even though I've never played one) but based on each player's needs and circumstances, I think it's worth a shot.

I posted this earlier in another topic, but here's me playing my gunslinger through a POD 2.0 to the soundcard.
There's some video audio in the mix in order for the viewer to be sure it's not a playback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlOQxNqwgLk

To my ears it's a decent lead sound.
Pages: [1]   Go Up