ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Picks/Plectrums do you use ?  (Read 25168 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: What Picks/Plectrums do you use ?
« Reply #45 on: Time Format »

I hear elixirs like I use are coated d addario strings.  I used to use d addario before I went to elixirs.  I also used to have to change strings every gig and after one or two practice sessions.

Thankfully I do not have to do that now  :)  it would kill me having to change all the time considering all the locking trems I own

coated strings really improved my guitar playing life.  Anyways enough of that.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rickeb1

« Reply #46 on: Time Format »

You might want to try Cleartone strings.  I used GHS Boomers for many years, than tried Cleartone and have been using them ever since.  I really like the tone and feel of them; to me, they feel and sound very much like the GHS strings.  But they last *way* longer.  :)  Maybe worth giving them a try sometime.

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #47 on: Time Format »

+1 on the cleartones!
I switched to them from D'Addarios about a year ago and haven't looked back. :thumb-up:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #48 on: Time Format »

You might want to try Cleartone strings.  I used GHS Boomers for many years, than tried Cleartone and have been using them ever since.  I really like the tone and feel of them; to me, they feel and sound very much like the GHS strings.  But they last *way* longer.  :)  Maybe worth giving them a try sometime.

says on the packet they are meant to last as long as Elixir's 3x5 times longer. Cost the same too. I might try them for the hell of it but I have never been happier with Elixir strings.  They feel great as well, nice and smooth the way I like it for fast stuff.  Sounds great after like 10 gigs too.  I have one set on a year now on an axe.  They still feel nice and smooth and sound great albeit they do need changed now as a year is really testing them.  No rust no discolouration though.

They don't last as long on bass though, the coating starts to shred off, well the way I play my bass it does.

Any coating ever come off clear tones?

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rickeb1

« Reply #49 on: Time Format »

I've never noticed any.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #50 on: Time Format »

I've never noticed any.

wonder how they're treated then to stay alive longer?  Elixir has a tiny layer of plastic around them.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #51 on: Time Format »

CRC used to make a metal protection spray (maybe still do), put's a protective coating on metal things, my Dad got me some when I was in my early teens, back then I made strings go for as long as possible and it really helped. As does wiping them after each play, or use a string cleaning cloth thing, got a couple from the music store, has alcohol impregnated/soaked in ?, they seem to work well also. Though I've gone back to just wiping them well with the cloth (each guitar has it's own) and putting them away.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #52 on: Time Format »

Won't that affect the sound and sustain of the strings?

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #53 on: Time Format »

Won't that affect the sound and sustain of the strings?

is that directed at me?  Or Richard?  The plastic doesn't affect the string at all.  It's made is tiny nanoweb molecular plastic, so basically really f*ckin small moleculed plastic. You don't even know it's there.  The older ones had polyweb, which is a little more obvious, but I've tried these also and they are just as good, but the coating is more robust.

@Richard,  you don't even need to clean Elixir strings.  I wipe down anyways though because build up still happens.  But importantly the build up never gets into the string grooves.

Gonna have a try at these clear tones and see what they're like.  The are same price as Elixirs.  Might buy a set for my bass.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #54 on: Time Format »

The CRC goes back to when I was 15 ish (so 40 years ago LoL), I used to buy the sets that had 2 x E(1st) and 2 x B. I was using 007s, 008s or 009s (way too light for me now, I'd bend them off the board...). So I was trying to make them last as long as I could. The CRC corrosion protection spray was a very fine film, yes, I could feel it was there ? but hardly, but it made the strings last.... These days, I'm happy to change them (hey broke an A string tonight on the Anderson, new set coming..). I also used to only change strings when they broke (back then), now I always change the whole set, but I can afford to these days ... Strings technology has improved, but nice fresh strings are always "nice fresh stings"

rickeb1

« Reply #55 on: Time Format »

Yeah it's really strange,played for years and years on regular picks and since i use the jazz III's i just can't play these anymore.It's really weird. :dunno:

I have to admit that I read all of these reports of how the pick made a big difference in one's playing with a bit of skepticism, but since I respect the folks here so much, I ordered a variety pack of the Dunlop picks to give them a try.  I ended up gravitating to the Ultex Jazz III XL, and I have to say, everybody is totally correct!  It changes the feel and my approach in a very cool way, and like MJMP says, it is now really hard to use anything else.  Amazing how much impact a simple thing like a pick can have!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #56 on: Time Format »

yep it's really strange,i had this feeling too.  :lol:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #57 on: Time Format »

The smaller harder picks I find make a big difference particularly if your coming off regular sized pics. You get a much sharper attack (when you want it). Does anyone remember the Blackmore picks, very small (like Jazz III), hard  >:D and V shaped/pointed tip (no curves).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up